Full Time Lifestyle vs Sticks & Bricks House - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Brewers

Default Full Time Lifestyle vs Sticks & Bricks House

Hello Full Timers, We are in the beginning stages of researching motor coach ownership and we have some questions. I for one am ready to sell it all buy a coach and travel the open road but my husband always needs to have the full perspective on things and is asking for more input on the matter of full timing. Any Full timers out there that can give us a good outlook on full time traveling and life in a motor coach? I grew up camping and what not where my husband didn't and I really want this to become an option for the 2 of us, but like any new thing, it must be checked out and feedback is the only way we can get it. We don't know anyone who Full Timers period. Please help me out here. How do you know if you can handle full time traveling vs our large home?

Betty Brewer

Growing older is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.
Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Brewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Hugo

We aren't fulltimers but I could see us going fulltime. The wife on the other hand has other ideas. I suggest you take a extra long trip say 3 months and see how you both like it.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
1993Newell

Betty and Tim, we are fulltimers for more than a few years here and I can say it's the best darn thing we ever decided to do! Take a look and read through all the different posts on fulltiming. You will find the folks who do it are happy and enjoy the fulltiming lifestyle.

I would also recommend downsizing your "stuff". I have PM you my phone number feel free to give me a ring. I'm not sure what part of the country you're in but if we were near we'd be willing to meet with you folks. Other than that post any particular questions you might have and we'll try to be a much help as we can.

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Randy J

Fulltiming now and we love it. We agree. Best darn thing we have done in our life! We just jumped right into it!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Retired63

We are what you call part timers. DW enjoys both house and Newell and so do I. Keep in mind full timing is not for everyone but at the same time does not mean you still can't enjoy what the rving lifestyle has to offer just not full time of course.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
MrE

Not a full timer, but here are a couple of links for your husband to research.

1. Has links to articles on tax friendly states - http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...nterested.html
2. This is a link to a really good article on solar power that will allow you to park where ever you want and not depend on hookups or your generator - The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
jWolfe

I have both but I'm constantly out on the road for my business so at times it feels like I'm a fulltimer. I enjoy the best of both world. I appreciate my coach but after being in it so much I feel good to come home to my house.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
larryweikart

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	3068I agrre with Jay. I've put 300,000 miles on our coach and love traveling in it but we also love being home on our little island paradise. This pic is one of the things we would miss if we were full timing. To each his own, just like you say "you're never too old to have a second childhood" (75 and built a snowman today)
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
FJGuard

Larry show us your snowman building skills!

My coach serves as my hunting house. So I'm always in comfort!
FJGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Twins

We straddle the fence on this question We maintain a modest home in an inexpensive rural area and also spend about 6 months a year in the motorhome. That's a good way to enjoy long-term RVing and still keep the comfort factor of a fixed home base. And if either of you have any misgivings about fulltiming, I strongly recommend that approach. Frankly, we love it when we "move into the newell but still love to "come home". We feel we have the best of both worlds.

The key to doing it this way is to have an inexpensive, low maintenance home in a friendly area where neighbors keep an eye on things while you are away. Most cities can't provide that, but small towns like that abound. And with the newell, you can make that home base be anywhere in the USA you want it to be.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
The Newell

Full Timing is not for everybody. We had been doing it for over 15 years and really enjoy it until recently when we sold our coach in hopes of locating a newer one. One word of caution, do not sell the house and use all the money for an motor coach. A house will appreciate and the motor home depreciates. Be sure to keep some aside so you can go back to a house if you choose.

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Raymond N Priscilla Miller

When you travel fulltime, you realize you need a lot of nifty gadgets to keep your trip rolling. Don't worry about downsizing stuff from your sticks and bricks home, you'll find new things you need for your new home on wheels.

I recommend reading as much as you can on fulltiming -

Full Timing in your Coach

and throughout this whole forum you will find helpful information. If you have a question that hasn't already been answered please make a new thread and post your concerns or questions about fulltiming. We always like being of help to new people here on the forums.

If you find that fulltiming is for you, maybe we'll cross paths along the way.

Good Luck!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Cheri Smith

Betty you are both smart to do some research first. Fulltiming can be a wonderful option for some but it does take some adjustment.

Ask yourself some of these questions and then you'll know if you have what it takes to fulltime.

Do you need to be around others all the time?

What about family? Do you need to be around family physically all the time?

We all miss family but if talking on the phone or over the internet works for weekly contact then you will be okay. If this isn't something you're up to then you may want to think about this and slowly start to adjust now before you go fulltime.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote