1998 bath and half at MOT - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
folivier

Default 1998 bath and half at MOT

Motorhomes of Texas just got in a 1998 bath and half. Looks like a single front slide but not sure. $139500 with 117,000 miles.
Not on their website yet but I have a couple pictures if anyone is interested.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Yachts

Coach number?

Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
folivier

Mel emailed some info #469, double slide.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
Yachts

Can you post the pics? The web sight does say single slide.. How was your trip home? Everyone ok?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
folivier

It is a single front slide coach, $129500 coach #469
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-Newell-Coaches-Newell-45-13.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	4572   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-Newell-Coaches-Newell-45-8.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	4573   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-Newell-Coaches-Newell-45-7.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	4574   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-Newell-Coaches-Newell-45-2.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	4575   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-Newell-Coaches-Newell-45-1.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	4576  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-Newell-Coaches-Newell-45-20.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	4577  
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 10-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
folivier

Trip home was nice. Stopped and paid my dues at the factory
Got in yesterday afternoon and hooked up. Nice to be back for a few months to be with family. But I'm already missing the low humidity.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 11-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
Airplane Guy

Forest,
Not having seen the coach in person, do you think this price is a realistic fair market value?
Airplane Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
folivier

Based on what we paid for ours (also at MOT) in March I'd say it's overpriced. Probably worth more like $100-110. Each slide adds about $15k. But you have to start somewhere. The condition is what's important. This one from the pictures looks like the carpet is dirty and worn. Has the zipdee main awning rather than the automatic Gerard. But the bath and half is probably worth a bit more if that's what you want.
Definitely worth looking at if they will work on the price. Remember to look at the age of tires and batteries.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
Yachts

Yes a single slide 120-140 depending on condition and bath and a half or not.. Double slide 140-160 depending. On same thing
Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
SantaFe

Forest is being realistic; there are several 2 slide Newell's advertised for <$130k and they are not selling. These 2 slide coaches have being depreciating $7-14k per year last few years. The newer ones are losing more, look at the lot in Miami... more inventory that they have had in years and quad slides getting cheaper all the time. Newell's are not a investment; enjoy them! Look at what 2 slides sold for 3-5 yrs ago, in another 1-2 yrs they will sell in the $80k range and there will be many more coaches than cash buyers. If there was money to be made on these 15-25 yr coaches Newell would buy/refurb and sell. Looking at the dealer auction results that will tell you what the folks that make their living off selling RV's think the value is. Let's keep it real.
SantaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #11
Dave-n-Marjorie

Hello SantaFe, I am very interested on your thoughts of double slide Prevosts vs double slide Newells??? Their value vs Newells?? Quad slide Newells vs Quad Prevosts? No slide Newells with series 60s vs no slide Prevosts with series 60s?? Current sales and listings? No dealer will buy and refurb any coach unless that's their business. I work for a RV dealer BTW and am also owner of a 17 year old Newell so I should know. More Newells than cash buyers in a few years? Hmm usually I see 3 or 4 of a model year Newell for sale. They made what, 30 a year average? Prevosts made what, over 1,000 a year with convertors?? It just doesn't add up? Lots of wanna be's come on here and bash the pricing for purely selfish reasons to get a "deal". That doesn't work with Prevost owners as they hold their pricing FIRM. I believe the opposite will happen. Newell owners will hold on to them, and not let buyers lowball anymore, and stick with Prevost pricing. Then the buyers will get desperate as there are one Newell to every 50 Prevosts for sale. Newell pricing should be HIGHER than Prevosts. If you have been to the factory as I have many times, and own one, you know this!! Just being real. Exited to hear your thoughts.
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Dave-n-Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
SantaFe

Hi Dave-
Glad your enjoying your 96 Newell, it is a great coach made by folks that love what they do. Yes, I have been to Miami plant 6 times in last year and a half. I don't understand you putting Prevost in the mix here, Newell's are not Prevosts and vice versa. Not bashing any prices; just stating the obvious that prices continue to go down as they age. Both Prevosts and Newell prices are coming done and they stay on the market longer to find the elusive cash buyer. Example the similar coach to yours that was on the market last year for >$100k he just a month ago brought his price down to $75k and it sold. Great coach in super condition; fantastic owner with tons of documented upgrades and pride in ownership and he marketed it well.... Just took a while to get the price to meet the actual market.It didn't lose >25% in a yr just had to price to the market. The 91 show coach is another; advertised a year ago for $100k sold recently for $ 50k that is the
market... Etc the wholesale market is even tougher; call MOT and ask what they think your coach will sell Net for on consignment in the next 90 days... That is all it is worth; nuff said.
Enjoy your coach!
SantaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
Yachts

Ok I understand both sides of the argument but 2 things to consider the 96 coach of which you speak was challenging in the color department and the doubles under 130 are very basic in the pizazz factors. what I see happening is as follows the no slide series 2000's will hold their value between 75-100 because find me a similar No slide coach with the amenities.. While slide coaches are becoming cheaper the difference in value between a quad slide and a single slide is huge right now..in 99 Newell started to really start doing fancier ceilings and some things that differentiated them from earlier coaches. Quad slides are still in the upper 200's doubles in the low to mid 100's.. While the quads maybe a year or 2 newer I see the bottom forming on series 2000 coaches that are no slide ,single and doubles, and the trips and quads filling the gap between the 160-250 range over the next few years.. I almost bought an 04 last week BUT I was concerned about the depreciation on those still ,but a late 90's early 2000's I think are forming a floor. The coaches before the series 2000 were not 45 feet or with a series 60. Those are the coaches I think will become the "new" classics in the future.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #14
folivier

And the simpler interior is one big reason we limited our choices to 98 or 99s. We don't really like the ceilings in the newer coaches. Also like the simpler mechanical/electrical systems.
While I would love for my coach to be worth more when I'm ready to sell it, only time will tell.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 11-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #15
Yachts

Very well put.. I think this is the first time in Newell's history in which coaches that are 15 years old are the same size as the new ones
Old 11-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #16
ccjohnson

We agree with Forest. We love the quiet elegance of our '92's interior.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Dave-n-Marjorie

SantaFe,

A couple things here. Prevost vs Newell was not addressed. Sure they are different in some ways, but actually the same in many more ways. Great, Prevost has a bus chassis that can go one million miles, but how many miles to RVers drive each year??? 10k? What about 24/7 support for Prevost? None! Is there a dollar figure on that? Newell floor plans? Hmm the most popular floorplan in all Class A mfg's TODAY are rear bath and 1/2 bath. I have one and its a 96....when did Prevost come out with unique floorplans like that? Newells are way ahead of their time. The rest of the components they share, series 60, aqua hot, multiplex, valid slides...ect...all just different color lipstick.

Now you talk about elusive cash buyers. Since I work for a dealer, I can tell you that most ALL banks will NOT finance ANY Rv older than 10 years. We deal with 7 different lenders. So, say you try to sell that 03 Essex, Signature, or Zephyr, good luck with that! They ALL need elusive cash buyers. Not just Newells and Prevosts. Some lenders will finance at 10 or 12%. If they pay that, they are beyond desperate, have probably overpaid on Rv and the bank will eventually get it back.

On to Values. Dealers put numbers on Rvs for trade based on the NADA Connect Dealer system. Not the NADA that the general public can see. There are no options added, and then dealers DEDUCT 30% – 40% from that number! Yes, I have seen quad slide low mileage Monaco Signatures for $90k and quad slide Newmar Essex for $80k….. I wonder what those owners paid for them in 2004? $450k? $500k? Now worth 80k in good condition….as far as MOT, no dealer wants to buy ANY RV outright unless it is below auction fire sale pricing. Why’? It would take up floorplan space as dealers finance their inventory.

Another reason that Newell Values are not stabilized are that Newells are not in the “book” or assigned any market value from any institution or bank (Prevosts are). This leads to crazy pricing all over the board, as dealers do not want to touch them like MOT!!! Dealers want comfort, knowing if they don’t sell a unit in 3 months, they can just wholesale it at dealer auction and get their money back, as there is a set value on that unit, they just pay a little curtailment.

As far as consignments, factor in the cost of the dealer keeping the unit on the lot, electricity, insurance, weekly washing, cleaning, showing, then the 20% consignment fee…hmmm…no wonder consignment pricing is low.

In my opinion, Newells are underpriced because most who own them have disposable income, do not finance them, and can AFFORD to let them go at a huge loss. These babies are not cheap to own, I think we all know that……Say you bought a Essex quad slide in 2004 and paid $400k. You financed it, and today you owe $250k. Its worth $90k on a good day! You are $160k upside down. What do you do? If it goes back to bank, it will sell at auction, then a dealer buys it, marks it up 40% and sells it retail. That is the cycle. Newell owners just sell them and don’t care about the pennies (or tens, or hundreds of thousands). Ive seen Newells sell for 1.7 million and two years later sell for 800k. Where did the 900k go? The bank wasn’t involved. The owner just took a loss and moved on. 900k was just pennies to him.

Just tellin it the way it is.

Dave
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
express1

Dave, I can follow that line... I've been with those buyers and sellers.. They just simply want or want to sell a NEWELL. However in most every case you Pay for what You Get...Most sellers are no-haggle, and most buyers just want THAT coach...
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #19
jack14r

Dave,Liberty and Marathon have 24/7 hot lines and Liberty has a lifetime warranty to the first owner on any Liberty manufactured part.The real number of Prevost motor homes was about 160 per year before 2008 not 1000 as you stated,Entertainer coaches are not even related to a Prevost Motor Home.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #20
Dave-n-Marjorie

I was counting entertainers as they are on a Prevost chassis. I believe they are very similar except for of course the bunk areas and sometimes lack or a rear bedroom, smaller kitchens ect.... They use the same Valid slides, Valid leveling, multiplex lighting, heating and cooling system, electronics, and appliances. Not to mention the identical chassis, engine / trans / Prevost shell.

I would disagree with the statement they are "not even related" to say as similar components they are probably close to 100% similar, just arranged differently. I am sure you know many people also purchase Entertainers and convert them to motorhomes.

In my dealer book, I show 34 Prevost converters 19 of which are motorhome converters. Its nice that two out of the 34 converters have warranties and support, but how many of the 34 are still even in business? What do those owners do?

Also, its nice there is a warranty on a liberty part, but who makes your ac, heat, air, appliances, electrical, multiplex, generator...ect....Aftermarket parts account for what 97% of a bus. Yes you have liberty custom furniture, counters, cabinets, ect… but the high $$ stuff is made by other companies and not under that lifetime warranty.

Even if the total number is 500 prevosts a year with 34 convertors, compared to 30 Newells made, there are still 17 Prevosts to every 1 “hand made” Newell J

As I have stated many, many times on here. Newell pricing should be at least equal to a similar Prevost. Having owned both, been to both factorys, being in the RV business, and a full timer, I can tell you they are QUITE similar.

1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC