Do you really feel safe using cruise control in a 45' coach? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
pyledriver

Default Do you really feel safe using cruise control in a 45' coach?

I'm not real fond of cruise control even in a car and I notice every Newell I look at has cruise like virtually every car does. Does everyone really use their cruise control in their Newell Coach? Just the thought of the behemoth rolling down the road with a toad attached makes me cringe a little.

pyledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
MrE

I personally love cruise control, one less thing that I have to pay attention to, allowing me to pay more attention to what is going on around me. I try to know what is on my front, rear, left and right at all times just in case I have to make an emergency avoidance maneuver. I also like to pay attention to my gauges, making sure that everything is within save operating limits. The one thing that I won't do is answer the telephone unless I have hands free, and even then I will not engage in a conversation that requires too much thought. Cruise set at your optimum RPM will also save you fuel.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

My opinion is that you should use the cruise control whenever possible and practical. Better engine/transmission performance and for me there is a safety issue. In the Newell, and most motorhomes, you sit at a height much greater than in a car and you do not have the same sense of speed that you have when lower to the pavement. Thus, it is easy to run too fast without realizing it.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
1993Newell

I use my cruise control, I once heard somewhere that one push per one mile per hour. Not sure how accurate it is but I believe it helps save on fuel in the coach.

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
stewart33

I have never felt unsafe using my cruise control but I don't drive that fast.
stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Cheri Smith

Name:  cruise.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  21.2 KB

Could have fooled me!

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Ramblin Ron

Nope won't use it.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
farmell

I actually never think about using it. I just mossie on down the road enjoying the drive feeling in total control of my beloved.

“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.” – President Gerald Ford
farmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
fulltiming

Use my cruise control every chance I get. I get better fuel mileage and spend maintain a more consistent speed than I do with my foot.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
bRAVE

In my SUV I never use it and in our coach to be honest I've never used it...But maybe I will try it. Getting ready to hit the road, I'll be back and let you know my opinion.
bRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
prairieschooner

I use the CC most of the time. I found that I could maintain a safer speed and get better fuel mileage with CC engaged, it also makes driving much more enjoyable.
I do however disengage it when in Traffic! Southern California is known for the Traffic!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #12
JustDustin

I use cruise control in every rig I own. It's there to be used and I use it. In heavy traffic no point though like Steve said.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #13
MrE

Old friend of mine used to call cruise control "dial-a-prayer", that was years ago and I still can't get it out of my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDustin View Post
I use cruise control in every rig I own. It's there to be used and I use it. In heavy traffic no point though like Steve said.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

For me, cruise control is safer being used than not. You sit very high off the road and do not get the same sensation of speed as you do in a car. Without cruise, I have a few time found my speed close to 80.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Neweller

I seldom use mine as my foot doesn't get that tired from using the throttle and have a very controlled foot. I might use it more to keep the components exercised from time to time. I used to use it more until I fell asleep at the wheel in a Camaro while it was set at 75 mph going up the 95 in Nevada. I had left Las Vegas around midnight and while heading north on hwy 95 having been driving for a few hours, it was around 7am or so and I just passed Walker Lake, starting to feel tired and a little hypnotized I fell asleep on the two lane highway, when I felt the rumble strip on the opposite side of the road I awoke cranked the wheel to the right, hit the skids, ended up on the other side of the highway down the embankment facing back towards the south and all I seen was one big dust cloud. My 14 year old daughter woke up in the passenger seat and asked; what's going on daddy? If you seen what happened you would never believe the whole thing but that my guardian angel must have been by my side. People had stopped and couldn't believe it either. saying how the car was going off the road on the other side of the highway airborne and all of a sudden turned direction and then there was this huge dust cloud. Everyone thought I was a goner. This portion of highway sits about 25-30 feet above the lay of the land without guardrails on either side. It's a very dangerous stretch of highway. Most vehicles would have flipped or went off the other side at that speed. It was a miracle that I do not ever wish to experience again.

Not saying cruise control is unsafe, it is great for those whom enjoy it and don't do stupid $hit like I did.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
GORDON HUMMEL

In some electronic engines, in trucks, power is increased when the cruise control in used.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
NewellCrazy

I hardly ever and actually prefer not to use cruise. I am the minority here when I recommend that you don't use cruise. Your driving a very heavy vehicle and if you need to stop quick while using your cruise control is this possible? Maybe, Maybe not depending on your situation.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
fulltiming

I don't use the cruise in heavy traffic but out on the interstate (typically western states), I use it almost all the time unless the road is wet. I have braked fairly hard for a rest area exit with the cruise control on. The only extra delay was that my foot was slightly further from the brake than if it had been on the throttle although I keep my foot on the floor right next to and almost touching the throttle. I would agree that if you don't keep your right foot close to the pedals a potentially significant extra delay could occur at 70 mph. I also find my fuel economy is better with the cruise control than without.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
MrE

Without cruise control I would not be able to grab a cup of coffee and use the bathroom when I traveling alone unless I pulled over.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #20
Neweller

I know a semi driver that loves his cruise so much that he will getting take care of different duties while slightly hanging onto the wheel. Totally just scares the pee out of you! You could never go to sleep while riding with him.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote