Bought 1992 Newell #255 and hate to say it a bit intimidated - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Hardtrigger

Default Bought 1992 Newell #255 and hate to say it a bit intimidated

Hi Newell world! I just purchased a '92 Newell number #255 and very excited about having the best coach built in my opinion! I know its a little old but has been very well cared for and the engine runs fine and the tranny shifts smooth! This will be my 4th motorhome owned and other three are 40ft. Tourmaster, 40ft. Beaver and 40ft. Monaco! I have not been intimidated by the other three as I have with this coach! Newells are very well built with only the best of materials and I appreciate this but I have got to tell you WOW is this coach way way way way more technical than those other three! Hell everytime I open a bay there is this plumbing that looks as belongs in some chemistry lab with four different filtering systems or the bay that has a heating system that belongs in the space shuttle! I mean there are 300 miles of hosing,tubing and 4000 miles of wiring along with breaker boxes behind each door! Don't get me wrong I will learn but heck by the time I understand the ins and outs of this coach I should past my certification in plumbing,electrical, and hydraulics! Not complaining on my purchase but for a man that has start-up 4 businesses, survived 3 divorces and accomplished many goals I have set ot to acheive I just want to admit I AM SCARED OF THIS THING! Totally am unprepared for this! Kinda seems like I took on a job keeping this coach alive like a Monster needing constant attention! Now I know what my ex's went throught I Had to share that with someone for sure I won't share this with my fiance for I have that bravado thing going!Everyone have a great September!

Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
chockwald

Even on my way, way low tech 1982 there was a lot to learn. I have learned a lot about 12 volt and 120 volt that I never knew before. I have become an expert at finding and fixing bad grounds. I have learned about relays, check valves, solenoids, date codes on tires, air brakes, fuel filters, led lights, generators, A/C, you name it. I still find switches I never saw before and am finding out what they do. It is an exciting process for me, and each month I become more confident.

Welcome to our forum, and congratulations on your great choice in coaches! There is a wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum and any number of guys will spend hours on the phone with you helping you solve any problem you run into with your coach.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
rheavn

Hardtrigger,
I can understand being overwhelmed with your first Newell. I felt the same way when I got my first diesel pusher. What I found helped me the most was to separate the systems. I drew wiring diagrams and plumbing diagrams for the individual systems. Being a visual person I was able to understand how the systems worked by seeing how they are hooked up. I also searched the internet for owners and service manuals for the systems on my coach. All of this together was very helpful. This is not a quick process as it took me a couple of years to complete the education process.
When I got my Newell there were some new systems on it that were not on my previous coach. I used the same approach. I worked with Richard Entriken, from this forum, to draw a plumbing diagram of the rear suspension air system. We now both understand how the system is designed & works. I didn't have an AquaHot on my last coach. I searched the internet & found Roger Berke who was providing help in solving AquaHot issues. So you are not alone, you just have some work to do.

I hope this is helpful..................
Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
Hardtrigger

Rheavn, thanks for your thoughts! Yes I have to have a different mindset from fuel and drive to understrand the layout and purpose of individual zones of the Newell and be on a preventive maintanace program! Still love this thing!!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
zcasa

Hey Hardtrigger,

We purchased our first Coach, after not even having owned a tent beforehand. It was a 1992 Newell. We changed the tires regularly, changed the oil and filters and had the Coach serviced each year. We put Diesel fuel into it and traveled more than 20,000 miles to all four corners of the USA and all across Canada. We loved the Coach for almost 5 years. When we sold it, the new owner walked around the Coach with me and would ask me questions about various systems etc. When I would reply "I don't know how that works or what it does" he was dumbfounded. We never broke down on the road, had a quality and classy ride, and relied many times on this forum for little things that would happen. We sold the Coach last year and still miss it immensely. Once you get these little things worked out, you should have years of great traveling and fun. As Wally of this forum has stated, sometimes we don't need to know everything, just go have some fun and make all the necessary preventative maintenance as possible. Life is good.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
encantotom

hi hardtrigger,

it would help us if you gave your name and location. could be someone here lives near you.

i have a 1990 and have been through just about every inch of it. not that i know that much, but i have been over it. between the group of us here with similar vintage coaches, and the folks at the factory, you have a wealth of knowledge to help you. i have bugged so many of the folks on this site that i am surprised they still answer my calls.

regards

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Hardtrigger

Thumbs up

Took zcaca advise and relaxed a bit and hit the road figuring on handling the small stuff as it comes at us. Funny thing is that besides a couple of clitches its just that small stuff and the anxiety is not here in this Newell. As I have shared before I have had several other 40ft. diesel pushers and as I was sharing with my gairlfriend the more I have driven this on the more it shines above the other of the past! I mean it goes into a bump and comes out like no other. Never have driven such a solid coach ever!! Others hit a bump and feel as if they are coming out in ten different directions. It has all the capacities you would ever need and we have been boondocking on the Oregon coast for over a week now and haven't even gone lower than 35% capacity. The others in the past you would be searching for water and waste after third day even scrimping on usage! Anyways I am happy, very happy with this Newell and cant wait to go to Miami,Oklahoma to learn the unknown that this coach has to offer! Thanx for everyones help I greatly appreciate all!! Robert