Engine heat for water heater, bedroom, dash? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
folivier

Default Engine heat for water heater, bedroom, dash?

My new (to me) coach has the water heater with heat exchanger, also has the heat exchanger/heater under the bed (and I think also to the dash heater).
On the engine I have 4 valves, I assume 2 control the flow to the water heater and the other 2 to the bedroom/dash heaters. If this is so then I'd like to shut off the bedroom/dash heaters. Does anyone know which is which?
Thanks

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
tuga

Forest,

I had a 1993 Newell 44' from 1997 to 2005, but I'm sorry to say that I can't remember which valves control what. I never turned them on/off, I just left them as they were when I bought the coach from Newell.

I know you are new to this Newell thing so I'll just say that many of your questions can be answered by calling Newell directly Monday - Thursday @ 1-888-963-9355 and ask for any service manager. I like Tommy Key, Creslie Clark, Mike Ellis, and Jim Gering. They are very knowledgeable and will give you quick answers. They know these coaches inside & out.

I'll give you a call and set up a time to come and see your new Newell!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
fulltiming

Forest, if your '93 is plumbed like my '92, one set of valves (the lowest two valves on the side of the engine) are for the front heater. There is an inline booster pump for this circuit which is activated when the temperature control lever for the dash heat is turned about 1/2" off of cold. The valve that is the outgoing line is on the bottom. The other two valves are higher up with the top most valve actually on the front on the engine. Those lines circulate water to the rear bedroom heater and the water heater.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
encantotom

i have spent a ton of time on this system. i couldnt get my hot water heater to work and it ended up it was plumbed backwards. now it gets hot and i put a tempuring valve in to keep from burning my grandkids.

having said that, from comparing with everyone else, and calling newell a bunch of times, each coach was done a little different. dave zonkers has electric valves in it in a number of places, others dont. i only have 2 valves on the engine, you have 4. i have two booster pumps, michael has only one in the back and wally has only one in the front.

btw, you also have a heater that feeds off of this as well in the water bay on the drivers side.

have fun. i know more about those heaters than i ever want to on mine.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
folivier

Thanks guys, I have two separate sets of hoses running forward from these 4 valves. It looks as if each set has a valve on the top or front of engine and the other valve is lower. I shut off the set going through the circulation pump (on the side of engine) and will drive it soon to see what gets hot. Hopefully the bedroom heater is not on the same set as the water heater. If it is then I'll add two valves to shut this off.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 05-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
encantotom

trying things is the way to do it. it will be obvious what is what then. i beleive michael has one set that is for the hot water heater only and the others are for the front, bed and bay heaters. on the one that has the hot water heater on it, it should likely not have a 12v valve/pump with it. on michaels, it is just a straight loop with out any controls or booster pump. since the other lines go clear to the front, it has a booster pump on it. when you turn the heat/cold lever on the dash heater/ac panel to the right just a little you will hear a slight click. that click is triggering a micrswitch that michael referred to. this was added to the panel by newell. it turns on the valve and booster pump to let coolant up front and boost it. on mine i have that pump/valve on top of the frame rail on the drivers side of the engine compartment and is in plain sight. some have that pump as a return booster instead and it is behind the dash air plenum in front bay where the genny blower is behind the panel on the rt side.

to get the heaters to get coolant flowing through them like michael said, you have to have that lever on the dash unit to the right just enough to hear that click (usually just a little), then push the heat button. it takes both to get it to activiate that pump/valve. the pump and valve are wired together so both are either on or off.

there are a bunch of "Y"'s in the coolant lies to allow coolant flow if any one of the units gets plugged. these lines congregate in one of the middle bays usually in front of the water bay in the middle.

since there are so may variations of all these things, yours may be like this or slightly different. the concept is the same, it is just where the booster pump and valve is and if there are solenoide valves on each line or or not like dave has.

i ended up tracing them all out and marking them with numbers and letters.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
folivier

Tom, that makes sense. I shut off the valves connected to the pump you referred to thinking that was for the water heater. It makes more sense for that line to have a pump to reach the front. I'll close those and open the other set and then drive it to see what happens.
Oh, does anyone know how the engine preheat works? When I switch it on (in the overhead cabinet with generator controls, etc.) the preheat light comes on. Does this work through the water heater or is it an electric block heater? I do have a pamphlet from Kim HotStart(?) and there is a cable marked Kim plugged into a receptable on the right side of engine bay.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 05-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
fulltiming

The switch by the generator is the glow plugs to preheat the generator. Hold the switch in the down position for 30-45 seconds, then release it and start the generator. The generator preheat is typically not needed if the outside temperature is about about 45-50 degrees.

There are several arrangement for engine preheat. Mine has the electric block heater controlled by the switch on the dash marked Pre Heat. Mine does not have the Primus or Aqua-Hot system so this is the only means available to heat the block. That switch controls the top half of a 120 volt outlet in the engine compartment. The block heater is plugged into it. I use it if the outside temperature is below about 45 degrees. It should be turned on for 30 minutes to 4 hours depending on how cold it is outside prior to starting the engine.

If you have the Primus system, there is a heating loop in the Primus system that goes to the engine. I have a downloadable manual for my 1992 that you are welcome to reference that describes the operation of the Primus system (although mine doesn't have one). I didn't think Newell started using the Aqua-Hot system until 1994 (I know coach 353 had Aqua-Hot) but there could have been a few made earlier.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #9
Wally Arntzen

On my 88 coach I was informed that the when using the preheat switch it heats the fuel so it enters the engine hot for easy ignition. Probably just another of many different systems that have been used by Newell over the years.
On my 78 Newell with the 555 cumins engine it had a built in either container and the engine would not start without giving it a shot of either prior to starting. This was installed by Newell when the coach was built.

Wally
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
jdaniel

Michael,
I'd love some info on the Primus system. Mine has it and it worked great for years. Now the rear baseboards heat well but the front does not. I really didn't know where to start. I will say this...when it was working, the temp from front to rear was the same, wasn't forced heat and was very comfortable.
jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
fulltiming

Jimmy, here is the link to my Owners Manual that describes the operation of the Primus system

http://tinyurl.com/38qo4m

The section on the Primus system begins on page 34 of the manual, marked Page 11.1 - 11.4.

The manual indicates that there are two independent loops for the Primus. Loop one just serves the front of the coach. This is obviously the loop that is not working on your coach. The secondary loop heats the rear half of the coach, the water heater and main engine heating.

Look at Dupree Product's site http://www.dupreeproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=27 for a drawing of the components of the Primus system. Steve Birtles sells several of the parts to maintain the system. He is a regular on the Blue Bird Wanderlodge forums.

The Primus systems required maintenance but they were good systems. They have been replaced by Aqua-Hot in more recent coaches.

Hope this helps.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
jdaniel

Thanks Michael. Thats good info.

Jimmy

jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote