Swapped.... - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
chockwald

Default Swapped....

I've been intrigued for some time with the line of GMC motorhomes from back in the 70's. We stumbled across this 1978 on Craigslist the other day. The owner agreed to swap straight across for our '82 Newell. We kind of took a financial beating on the "swap", but really like the lower profile, streamlined look of the GMC.

After we got it home we discovered a lot of water damage in the ceiling, but what the heck......we were going to gut it anyway and redo the interior....now we'll just redo the roof first.

Other than the 2 tires that blew out on the 30 mile drive home, and the roof leaks.......oh, and the big puddle of oil I found underneath the engine this morning, it's in pristine condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMC.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	692  

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
encantotom

i think that is an outstanding idea. in fact, it is amazing that you traded your newell this week as i just completed a swap today.

i loved my newell, but when i saw the older gmc bus that needed a full restoration, i couldnt help myself. the cool thing is that it has a series 60 in it and for the entrekins, a catapult mount ready for action on the roof.

the newell was good times, but i cant wait to get started restoring the new bus and to use the catapult.

hasta la vista,

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
HoosierDaddy

Hey...That's my GMC that was stolen last summer!!!! ;-)
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Stick Miller

Default Incredible

This is all so ironic! As many of you know, I've been lurking both here and on the bluebird sites for a couple of years. I've talked to several of you guys on the telephone and have gotten a lot of encouragement from everyone. I made a lowball offer on an old Bluebird a couple of weeks ago - don't expect to get it - but just after I made the offer a neighbor called to introduce me to a guy named Ken Henderson who is a GMC afficianado. We've been talking and he has about brought me to the conclusion that the GMC would fit the bill for me. Good head room, decent mileage, incredible support and sporty good looks. My only problem is that I have to have a pretty specific bed configuration - probably the center twins - and I have no interest in a "wet" bath. I'm looking.

Anyway, things are always changing.

By the way, Tom and Clarke are talking about 2 different animals, I believe. One is a GMC motorhome and the other is a bus. I'm interested in the smaller 26' like Clarke bought.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
folivier

Must be the water, (or maybe the calendar?) Actually I also like the GMC's, but like Stick - don't like the wet bath. Now what would be really neat would be a 4x4 Tiger http://www.tigermotorhomes.com/ Think of the places you could explore.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
chockwald

Thanks Tom, Gordon, Forest, and Stick for playing along with my April Fools joke. We still have our Newell, and plan to for many, many years to come.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Stick Miller

Default Got me!

I guess I'm just gullible. Not having anything, I'm interested in getting something I can afford to buy, have worked on and to drive. I fell for the joke. What can I say? I'm a Bluebird kinda guy.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
HoosierDaddy

Yeah I've always like the GMC motorhomes. (BTW my "stolen" comment was in the spirit of April fool !!) A buddy has a GMC and a Prevost conversion as well. The GMC is great as a "day coach" but struggles a bit if you need to pull something with it in the hills. Also if anyone is truly "in the market" for one inspect the frame closely. There are several areas that are very prone to rust and VERY expensive to repair. My friend ended up putting a new frame under his.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
encantotom

yea, the newell is still in the driveway.......a mild april fools foolery.

the gmc motorhome was a great one. many of the guys on this site have had one or more of them in the past. air suspension, smooth ride and drive, etc. they just had an oldsmobile engine in them so they were no speed demon.

i have seen a number of them and there is something about them that appeals to me as well, but too small for my tastes and i suspect not tall enough for you stick. Wally has had one and i believe steve magowan still has one, or had one.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
smagown

I've had four GMC's since 1981 and still have my 74 SE. I did a complete nose to tail, top to bottom restoration 5 years ago. Bored 455 w/ injection and headers (will smoke the front tires), remanned tranny and final drive (Olds Toronado Turbo Hydro 425), Onan rebuilt by factory tech. Stripped the windows, interior, paint (Imron), and started over. Seven Alcoas. The list is endless, a labor of love. New Zip Dee's all around. No frame rust and no wiggle-waggle, PM me if you are interested.
Thanks,
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
Stick Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by encantotom View Post
i have seen a number of them and there is something about them that appeals to me as well, but too small for my tastes and i suspect not tall enough for you stick. Wally has had one and i believe steve magowan still has one, or had one.

later

tom
Well, you have to do what you have to do. My wife is not interested in live-in type travel so this suits her just fine. I see us more using this for going to state parks and visiting our children. I work at the Masters every year and have to beg borrow and steal a place to stay. I've slept in some beds that should have been burned during the middle ages. It woudl be nice to pull that little 26 foot rig up in someone's driveway and forget about it.

Interior height is OK for me. It is sleeping arrangements that get dicey. I'm going to PM steve mcgowan, but you guys don't turn your back on me. I'll get you back one day.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Summersgal

Default fooled

Wow! Sure had me fooled. I was thinking OMG Why would anyone do that! I love my Newell's. And just couldn't imagine why you would be getting rid of one. Nice Joke guys!

BTW I have a 88 for sale if anyone is interested. Just PM me or pass along to any friends you have that are in the need for a nice Newell!

Thanks!
Pam
Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
Wally Arntzen

Iv'e had 2 GMC's and like Steve the last one I restored from the ground up and it had a 500 CI caddie engine and it ran like a raped ape. I put more in the GMC than I paid for my 88 Newell and it still would have problems on every trip. Like my Newell I used it a lot for work and traveled many miles.
It was small, cute and had every thing you could put in it but was nothing like a Newell. Many Newell and Prevost owners had GMC's some time in their rv history and I don't know of any that would go back to the GMC.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
chockwald

I've been following a blog by a guy who has a GMC (http://www.danandteri.blogspot.com/). He put a lot of time and money over two years into restoration, and loves it. All that being said he just had to replace the motor and tranny on a trip out to California at a cost of close to $10,000. Ouch....
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
batpilot7300

if you like GMC you should take a look at Revcon, we had a 30ft model, traveled all over the country in it, problem was at that time there were no parts ava, who ever had them went underground, there ava now from a couple different groups.
Lee Brown
98DS45L
Granbury TX
batpilot7300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #16
Wally Arntzen

I'm having a great time working with a friend who bought my GMC 12 years ago. He hired me to help him do some fix', and im having a ball. Redid he refrigerator chamber, installed larger air bags, put in larger brake calipers and are now changing all of the brake lines in the coach.
This is a coach that put over 100,00.00 into doing a complete frame off restoration about 15 years ago. I bought the coach after a friend that owned it had a engine fire that burned through the floor and to the dash.
My friend that owns it now helped me with the restoration and now he is paying me to help him do some changes, quite a friend.
GMC's need continous attention if you want to keep them running.

I love my Newell which does not need near as much attention but I do keep an eye on it fix any problems that arise.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:52 AM   #17
chockwald

Wally, I agree 100%.....

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles