ddec power breaker malfunction - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
doonich

Default ddec power breaker malfunction

my 1992 Newell has two ddec pushbutton breakers in the engine compartment below the safety switch. The breakers are spring loaded but one of them will not reset. I'm not sure exactly what they do (other than engine computer) but the engine does not run very well with just the one engaged. When warm the engine will start, when cold it won't. I would think it needs replacing but it is not very accessible, it looks like the whole board will have to be removed so the breaker can be accessed from the rear but it might be possible to do it from the front.
thanks for any help re where to get the part and how difficult it might be to replace or what might bring the current breaker back to life. I'm stuck in my barn in the interim.

doonich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
fulltiming

On my coach, gaining access to the breaker isn't as bad as it seems. There are four screws on the top of the power panel. If you remove the top, it is easier to get to the breakers. Circuit breakers can fail over time. Replacing the breaker could be a simple way to check to see if it is the problem or if there is a problem with the DDEC that is causing the breaker to trip. It is doubtful that the existing breaker could be brought back to life.

As always, be careful anytime you are messing with electricity. The safest procedure is to disconnect the battery cables from both the house and chassis battery banks to insure you don't get a nasty surprise.

I suspect you can have Newell ship you out some matching breakers or you might check with a Detroit Diesel Service Center or take a look here for some similar breakers.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
doonich

Default DDEC breaker

thanks Fulltiming that all makes perfect sense. Any idea how many amps? i'm trying to source locally here in Dallas as I'm trying to get out of town thursday. btw mine is white and blue too
Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
doonich

Default push button ddec breakers

according to the Newell crew they are 20 amps
Old 04-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
fulltiming

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. We have been helping each other solve problems at the rally.

Yes, both of mine are 20 amps.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote