Bay Rust - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
cdat

Default Bay Rust

I'm finally getting a chance to get started on the 91 Newell. There is some rust in some of the bays, mostly on the floor, doesn't look too deep. Once I get it off, is there a recommended brand/type of paint to put down?
Any tips for the best way of removing rust is appreciated.
BTW, this is just the beginning of specific maintenance questions. Really appreciate all the help I've gotten just in purchasing the Newell.

Thanks

John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
NewellCrazy

John,

This product is considered one of the best.

Link: POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint - Black - Quart POR15

Name:  31lQEANcRIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  11.5 KB

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Neweller

Sean, I'll second that! Steve (Prairieschooner) had mentioned it while back when I was working on one my Newell's and so I bought it and really like it. Props to Steve again for suggesting it. It covers really good and becomes super hard and part of the metal. I'll try to find some pictures of either the '78 or the '86 Newell that I used it on. There is another product I had used as well in spray cans made by a company I think out of St. Louis but they may have went out of business and it was a quality product as well.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
cdat

Appreciate the info, stuff is expensive but the reviews are great. Did you guys do any prep work ahead of time or use the PQR metal ready stuff?

John
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
MrE

Personally, I would blast the area with sand, glass or soda and get rid of all the rust. I have found that if you don't get rid of all the rust prior to putting a coating on, it will bubble up and reappear.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
77newell

I don't have a lot of experience with rust but I can report on what I've experienced with my 77 coach. POR-15 and similar products, I've used the line-up from Eastwood, have not rusted through in two years more or less. If you use these products you do NOT want to remove all rust, in fact these products won't work on any areas of bare metal. To use them I removed all loose rust and then wire brushed the rest all while leaving a layer of well attached rust. I then sprayed or brushed on the rust converter/primer and finally overcoated with Eastwood's undercoating.

In the large bays with wood floors on top of rusty steel sheet (it was rusty on top due to water compartment leaks and so bay door sealing problems) I used with same process except I did not use undercoating but rather my farmer rust-proofing (used oil) and then put in a new wood floor coated with epoxy to resist any future water. On the bottom side I used the converter/primer and then installed half inch foam between the structural members.

So far I've noticed no rust-through but time will tell. I did have some rust-through when I had tried to remove all rust by blasting and using a "normal" primer. Apparently I needed to blast beyond just the appearance of clean metal.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
prairieschooner

Actually you will need to read the Instructions of you will be using the POR15. It converts the rust into a rust inhibitor. If you Sand Blast you should not use this product. If you Sand Blast you may be doing some welding.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote