replacing old tv with led 42" in 2001 Newell? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Default replacing old tv with led 42" in 2001 Newell?

Hello,
I have question regading replacing the old tub tv with new flat panel TV.
I noticed that several 2000 and newr Newell had replaced with the 42" wide panel.
I noticed also thet many coaches in that yaer has standard size pane above the head!

I mesured only fitting width of 34" from edge of one door to the other!
S my qestion is , how did the fit it 42" wuth out covering it some of the side panels !
Perhaps anyone took on thsi project and could share the tips with me1
I took the big montser Tv out and habe huge hole to fill in , he, he ! it was very heavy Panasonic tv , cant wait to put nice flat screen in there!

Thank you in advance for any tips you might sugest!

Les & Cheryl Korcala
Newell 2001 # 852

leskorcala@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
encantotom

there was several different options in 2001 for tv's and then they build the cabinet overhead to match. a 42" plasma was a $10k option and some had it and some didn't. russ's coach was redone by newell by the owner before him and it was very pricey.

mine is older for sure, but i had to cut the cabinet doors down and make new mounts.

i am sure there is a way if you sit and stare at it enough and have some creativity.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
GORDON HUMMEL

The attached link has some pictures on my 42" tv installation. My coach in 10 years older & not a raised roof model, but other wise I'll bet the front console is quite similiar.

Because I removed so much of the original cabinet, I did not feel comfortable hanging the tv on it. The bracket I made solved that problem. I had the doors made at a local glass shop. If you look closely, you will notice that the front of the tv is not mounted flush with the glass doors, but rather 2" further out. This was done intentionally, so that heat did not build up in the cabinet.

This tv was added 3 years ago. Since then the newer LED/LCD models have come out and are lighter, use a lot less power & have a lager screen for a given size. I believe I will be changing to a 44" that will fit in the existing opening.

When I was looking at tv specs some 3 years ago, the plasma tvs were quite heavy & used a lot more power & created more heat. The power usage might be a concern if parked without power.

http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/s...=3393#post3393
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Barry Rooker

My 2001, #604, came with 42" plasma TV's as original equipment. Yes, they're heavy & hot. Newell's replacing our living room set with a LED/LCD HD 42" TV next month. We seldom watch the TV in the bedroom, so it'll stay plasma.

Whatever size TV you can install, be sure it's LED/LCD for the weight & heat advantage. The better picture's just a bonus. I found a 42" Panasonic LED/LCD HD for $920 at BestBuy. Not much more than a plasma TV.
Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
lbrachfe

My 2003 has the same front overhead and we took an LG 42" flat screen and bolted it to the outside of the cabinet area and the overlap fits perfect. Did the same with the bedroom cabinet door the tv was behind and bolted a Samsung 36" there. Make sure you update your cables....
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
afrench45

About a year ago my 42" Sony Plasma went out and Newell said the Tv's that retrofit the easiest were LG's. I paid around $800 for the LG lcd. The led seemed to be about $600 more at the time and I decided to not pay the difference. Newell pulled my coach in about 7 a.m. and they worked late and pulled it out about 6 that evening. They had to cut the hole bigger for the tv, make an all new mount, and re-wire the tv. When the coach was built the plasma didn't have a built in tuner, so they ran it through the VCR. Since the new tv had a built in tuner and dtv antenna they took somethings out and re-ran the wires. They also had to re-route the basement tv a different way. The total job cost about $1000 but they did it right and it works great!
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:13 AM   #7
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Thank you all for great input and link to the other person project, I did checked!
My Tv panel and the side compartment panel would allow for fitting 34" wide TV no problem, to fit 42" wide I will have to overlap 4" on each side of the side panels where the gages ( above the drver ) and the antena switches and DVD player is located on the pilot side! I think I can do it and trim down the plaxy door etc.

Thinking getting good mounting bracket from Costco, I saw very nice nad solid for around $80 and will mount it , either base or the side of the hole where the TV was, than I will just mount some blackboad in shape of the flat panel TV as the pattern and play with it .
should be great fall project!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:35 AM   #8
encantotom

i wouldnt buy the mount at costco. go look at www.monoprice.com

i buy tons of stuff from them and have the mount for my 60" led tv in my theatre room from them. they are very inexpensive, extremely cheap shipping and very high quality. plus hdmi cables are extremely inexpensive and high quality.

i even use monoprice for my electronics lab at work.

tom

Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Tom,
Thanks for the link to the great place! amazing selection in the TV mounts ! and yes1 its about 40-50% of Costco prices!

Perhaps you might now good place to shop for the LED 42" so far I found Costco Vizios or Toshiba for around 400$

Thanks in advance ,
Les
Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
encantotom

hi,

i am in the process of buying a 37" tv to mount in the bottom bay of my newell. once i am completed i will document how i mounted it.

i am a bargain shopper. and i would rather not pay sales tax. so you have to weigh out the pro's and con's of each way of buying a tv. i also want to be able to look at it before i buy it.

i have a 60" sharp led, 55" samsung led, 42" panasonic plasma, 32" samsung lcd and 19" samsung lcd.

lcd/led and plasma each have different strengths and weaknesses.

so, i will not buy a tv i have not actually viewed. not matter what reviews say, i know what i think looks good.

i have bought from amazon and had no problems. amazon has great prices, has a ton or reviews on tv's (i look at reviews too before i buy).

that said, the last two tv's i have bought in the past year (the 60" and 55") i bought at costco.

the reason is simple.

1. you can look at them
2. they have very good pricing
3. we have a costco amex credit card so we get 1% back on it
4. they have the best return policy in the retail electronics business
5. they take the first year warranty and double it for ANY TV purchase. on a sub $500 tv, the additional 3 years warranty is only $30. and on a tv under $1000 it is $60. for a tv 37" and larger they come to your home and fix it. ZERO deductible. BTW, since our tv's are going to be bouncing around in our coach, to me $30 bucks is nothing to have it covered for FIVE full years.

BTW, i work in semiconductors. most electronics fails early if it is going to at all. but the potential for something else to go bad over years of bouncing is higher than sitting still at home. but, that said, i have had no problems with my lcd tv's so far and seldom do i hear anyone saying anything about failures in their coach with their tv's.

So i will be buying my next 37" for the coach at costco.

as for brands, features, etc, you have to decide for yourself. there are different thicknesses and bezel widths, if you want it to play movies off a usb port, built in wifi, etc. For tv's that are smaller the cheaper ones will be 720P and to be honest on the smaller tv's you will likely not tell the difference between 720p hdtv and 1080p hdtv. Refresh rates are a big thing nowadays too. 60hz, 120hz, 240hz. i could explain it here, but again you just need to look at the tv and see if you like the picture. i am a geek and usually get higher end tv's. i have 2 of my tv's hooked up to the internet for a variety of reasons. Netflix is the most common reason, but there are other reasons as well. you have to have pretty high bandwidth to make it useful for your tv for video. but, the ability to stream from your laptop to your tv is possible on some as well.

the question alot of people have now is on 3D. so that you know, i do not have any 3D tv's. 3D is in its infant stages and though alot of tv's offer it, it is not standardized in any way yet. each manufacturer is doing it differently. it is just a matter of time before it becomes a check off feature on every tv sold, but until then and they have gotten the way you view it better, i will not buy a tv because of it. you will notice that initially 3d glasses for most tv's were "active". that meant they are large, bulky glasses with batteries in them. they have to electronically synch with the tv (and some dont very well) and were very expensive. some brands like LG had passive glasses like you use at the movie theatre.

things will settle in on something easy, cheap and good in the next few years. lots of companies are spending a ton of money trying to figure it out. until then, i will wait. but again, please spend money freely because the economy needs it.

the refresh rates as they go up raise the quality of the picture, but it is not something that most people can actually SEE.

the most important thing about using your TV is the incoming source. if it isnt very good, it doesnt matter how good your tv is. you will hear many people say their HDTV looks like crap viewing standard definition source after they just got this high end HDTV. well, if you take a tv that is super high resolution and put something crappy on it, you should see crappy. the older lower resolution tv hid it and hit it well.

where todays tv's really shine is with a blu-ray player, and good hdtv sources. over the air hdtv looks great too as does satellite.

another bit of advice. dont spend a lot of money on a fancy expensive over the air tv antenna. i have the original tv antenna that came on my coach in 1990 and it works just fine for over the air hdtv. but, the economy needs boosting, so everyone spend as you wish.

another thing you need to pay attention to is the VESA mounting pattern on the TV itself and make sure you match that to the VESA mounting pattern on the mount you are buying.

i bought the mount for the 60" sharp tv i have mounted in my theatre room from monoprice. it was around 75 bucks if i recall. i bought their heavy duty one that scissors out about 2 feet from the wall as that is what i needed to mount in the built in cabinet i have in there. it is rock steady and you could hang something far heavier on it than the tv i have on it.

one of the things that costco and sams club is large enough to do and the TV manufacturers like is that they have models that are specific for those stores. that is no problem at all other than price comparisons become harder. there will be other tv's that are similar but not exactly the same.

vizio is an interesting company and doesnt design or manufacture their own tv's. they specify them and bid them out to ODM's to be made. so they are made and designed by a number of companies. in so doing, they have become the largest TV seller in the USA in the past few years.

consumer ratings vary widely on the vizio tv's and my guess it is because of that. if i found a vizio tv that had reasonable ratings and fit my needs i would not be afraid to buy it.

i bought the tv (a samsung 32") for my overhead in my newell because i liked samsung, had good price at the time, was reviewed highly but mostly because it FIT dimension wise.

nowadays with the very thin TV's (some are around 1.5" thick, they are much easier to mount and have look flush in our rigs.

i suggest DO NOT spend lots of money on brand name HDMI cables. the cables from places like Monoprice you will see the same quality of picture on and you can save 90% from the cost of Monstercables or others that bestbuy wants to sell you.

i had to cut down my overhead cabinet, but it wasnt a big deal. my coach is alot older than yours and the front cabinet more basic.

way more than you asked for, but i felt like typing alot this morning.

later

tom

Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
smagown

Keep typing Tom. We really appreciate your knowledge and hands-on approach!
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:11 AM   #12
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Tom
lot of great info, I should print this page when i go look for my LED TV!

I noticed that Best Buy has way more brands to lookat then Costco and you can see them side by side <
I am in the same process instaling good sunwoofer in the ovehead hole than flat panel YV in front of it! It going to be fun projrct , looking forward to do it,

Thanks again for great experts oppinion on yje subject.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 AM   #13
encantotom

i put high end car stereo upgrade up in the drivers area. i used a blaupunkt powered subwoofer and put it under/behind the drivers seat on the floor. it is hooked up so it works with either the car stereo or the home theatre. it is awesome. it turns on automatically when it detects an input signal.

i didnt want to put one behind the tv for heat and i dont like things vibrating and making noise.

best buy is a great place to look at tvs since they have so many.

just an alternative idea.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-r3t0VKx...-THb-200A.html i didnt buy it here, but here is a picture and specs. it is flat and low. very well built and really puts out the sound. i have to turn the levels down or it is too much.

tom

Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #14
encantotom

and this subwoofer i referred to above is 12v powered.

tom

Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #15
leskorcala@hotmail.com

That subwoofer is no longer for sale by crutchfield

I used my older Bose acumass 7 Base module and is working flawessly with the original 4 ams ADS speakers , my Bose module is mounted where original big panasonic TV was , plenty room , I also eleiminated original ADS center speaker ( located to low ) I placed center channel speaker on the same level as the front left & right ADS speakers , now I have very uniform & natural sound from all 3 front channels.I used the original hi end marantz AV unit with new samsung bluray and samsung LED 40 " monitor, so far awesome video & sound!