Design of 2006 and 2007 Newell's? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
kenny brooks

Default Design of 2006 and 2007 Newell's?

I am under the impression the 2006/7 Newell's were designed by Porsche? Is this correct? Were they involved in the interior and exterior designing? What a beautiful coach. Not sure if I should get my feet wet with a coach a couple years old or step up to the plate and order one of the new baby's. I don't want to show the lady or she will make that call for me. If you know what I mean.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
tuga

Kenny,

As I understand it, Porsche designed the exterior front of the Newell P2000i. The one piece windshield, headlight design, and roof side appointments are all Porsche and it shows. In my opinion, they did a fabulous job. It is stunning! I love it. It looks fresh and new; sleek and powerful. I don't care for the grasshopper mirrors, but I am sure that they can be substituted for the conventional mirrors. I predict that you will see other manufacturers copy this design in the near future.

The front of this coach is just the beginning; the quad slide, 625 hp, 10 speed tranny, steering tag axle, and murphy bed finish out a coach that is second to none. Add to that the fact that it gets 8 mpg and you've got a real winner. This thing is going to blow the socks off of the competition.

As you can see I get a little worked up when I start talking about this MH. I have had 3 Newells, but none have the punch that this thing does; 2050 ft/lb of torque, it acclerates going UP THE MOUNTAIN! What a ride!

If you want to buy a new one, you are going to have to stand in line. The waiting list is 18 months! If I had a million bucks, I would put my name on the list for a new one without hesitation. I honestly don't know what Newell Coach can do next year to top this unit. Maybe, they'll put a propeller on top and make it fly! :P

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:27 AM   #3
marathon man

I agree it is a nice looking coach but isn't the inside basically the same as the previous. I stopped in a few months ago and they were telling me there was a 11 month wait and growing. It sounds as if a few buyers are liking the look. It is a bargain compared to what you would have to spend on a Marathon like mine. But the wait isn't as long if you plunk down the cash at Marathon, they will move you up the list. :lol: I like the fact that Marathon will go as custom as you like where Newell has limits on certain things.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
Erika

Hello Marathon Man and welcome to Newell Classic!

Are you interested in buying a Newell or just coming in to share with us Newell fanatics?

I think that Marathon is a great Prevost bus customizer. There are some pros and cons to Prevost conversions as with any brand of RV.

I use to work for Marathon up in Colburg, OR in their marketing department, so I am pretty familiar with their program. I think they are probably the best Prevost converter around with Liberty a close second.

Admin
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:31 AM   #5
fulltiming

I agree that Marathon and Liberty are a couple of the top Prevost converters. However, if you really want a class act, don't forget American Carriage. They make a quality Prevost conversion although in smaller quantities than Marathon and Liberty. For design and engineering of a Prevost conversion, I would pick American Carriage first, then Marathon, then Liberty and Parliament tied. However, I recognize that each persons needs and wants are different so your mileage may vary.

I still believe that dollar for dollar, Newell builds a better coach.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
ikcandco

For the people that have doubts on the Newell 'New Looks.'
-
Take a look at the tendencies of 'European Masterpieces' and
you will see that Newell is again ahead of it's time.

Running prototype of the Scania concept truck for the 2010s :
CLICK HERE for No 99578-34
and CLICK HERE for No 99576-15
-
You should see similarities – actually, Newell's 'New Looks.'
-
and 'What about this Cockpit'

and hope that Newell will never go as far as these Colani-Tractor :
Click This One
Click This 2nd
or
the blue, the blue 1
and for this blue the blue
-
I just like Newells
May God Bless,
ikcandco
ikcandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
ikcandco

Michael,
About 'American Carriage'
-
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that they even 'Customize a New
Prevost Shell in 2006,' the last one was the H3 Conversion and that one
was finish early 2005 (it could even be in 04) on a 2004 shell sold for a
2006, a year and a half later !
-
American Carriage Used Hydraulic cylinders for their slides up to
Coach #0520, 2006 H3-45 with 2 Slides, has 'Screw' type extenders
and are visible from under the slide, 'OUCH' . . . & Poor quality job
CLICK HERE and 'YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN'
-
Also all slide Frames are in 'Iron' ('No Aluminum Framing' & 'Quite Heavy')
I would like to see the digits on the scale for each axle.
CLICK HERE and 'YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN'
-
I'll give 'American Carriage' The 'Decor', The 'Looks' and The 'Will' to go
a step further by building and designing specifically for the client and trying
to create a more advance and / or practical layout.
-
For sure 'Newell Coach' will one day offer these specifics – as mentioned
in above member postings they have great new options . . . and did I forget
to talk about the 'Flat Floors' . . . and 'Galley' in the slide . . .and . . .
-
I just like Newells
May God Bless,
ikcandco
Old 09-19-2006, 04:15 AM   #8
fulltiming

I hope no one took my previous post to mean that I would pick one of the Prevost conversions over a Newell. That was certainly not the intent. My post was strictly dealing with what I have seen in Prevost conversions. I prefer the Newell over any of the Prevost conversions.
As far as American Carriage is concerned, I have not had any dealings with American Carriage in a couple of years but at that time their slides I saw were hydraulic and were top notch. Because they build their own slides you could pick your slide size and configurations. Their website still says that they use hydraulic slideouts but you seem to have more definite information than do I.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
karlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathon man
I agree it is a nice looking coach but isn't the inside basically the same as the previous......I like the fact that Marathon will go as custom as you like where Newell has limits on certain things.
Some comments from Newell hqtrs:

The evolution of the interior has, for the most part, occurred independently from the exterior. So the new front cap design (yes, done by Porsche Design) was not tied to any specific interior changes. That said, there have been interior changes and new interior features during the same time frame. For example, the new Murphy Bed option allows the rear area of the coach to function as a second sitting room during the day, yet at night, the bed (the same size and construction mattress as the standard, fixed bed) is quickly and easily deployed. Newell now optionally offers, in lieu of laminates, interiors finished in UltraWood, a very beautiful genuine wood veneer available in several finishes. While UltraWood is expensive (a $44,000 option), it is simply gorgeous, and a nice solution to those who want "real wood."

I would take very strong exception to the comment that Newell offers less "custom" than any of the bus converters. We will agree to whatever the customer requests unless it is not possible to accomplish within our resources at a price acceptable to the customer.

Remember that since we build our own chassis and body, we have the ability to accomodate requests that are simply impossible if starting with a bus shell, and I will be specific. We occasionally build a coach with an engine not on our "normal" list, recently a 525 hp C13 Cat for example.

The length of the coach can be specified literally to the inch, anywhere from about 38 ft. to 45 ft. (or longer where legal). 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 slide-outs can be ordered, and the size and location of the slides can be specified, allowing a great deal of flexibility in floorplans. The slides can be flat-floor if desired. Bathrooms can be lcoated center or rear, or split with the shower located rear and the toilet center. Or bath and a half. Interior fabrics and finishes are infinite in variety, including now a choice between high pressure plastic laminates or the UltraWood genuine wood veneer.

Another reality of the current marketplace: It appears that the majority of new bus conversions are currently being sold from finished stock and therefore not custom, while the majority of new Newells are built to order, and custom-built to order, at that.

I hope this information is helpful.

Karl
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
ikcandco

Michael,
From my last post on 'American Carriage,'
It wasn't my intention to create that impression.
"I do Apologize Michael."
I wanted only to 'Portray Certain Negative Techniques' that
American Carriage employs, 'Not Found' on a Newell such as
Heavy Metals, Screw or Hydraulic Slide Systems (These make
an extremely heavy conversion)
-
I just like Newells
May God Bless,
ikcandco
-
N.B. :One might see 'Heavy Metal in a Newell'
. . . an Heavy Metal Band, that is !
Old 09-20-2006, 11:34 PM   #11
ikcandco

Many thanks 'Karll' for all your great positive information.
-
I wanted to add the link for the UltraWood, this is really a
great source CLICK HERE for the 'UltraWood Website'
-
From the Galleries, on their Website, you'll find 'Tons of Great Photos'.
-
I just like Newells
May God Bless,
ikcandco
Old 09-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
Newell Attack

That ultra wood is nice but to expensive for my blood.

Newell Attack

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
Newell Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb
Quote:
Originally Posted by marathon man
I agree it is a nice looking coach but isn't the inside basically the same as the previous......I like the fact that Marathon will go as custom as you like where Newell has limits on certain things.
Some comments from Newell hqtrs:

The evolution of the interior has, for the most part, occurred independently from the exterior. So the new front cap design (yes, done by Porsche Design) was not tied to any specific interior changes. That said, there have been interior changes and new interior features during the same time frame. For example, the new Murphy Bed option allows the rear area of the coach to function as a second sitting room during the day, yet at night, the bed (the same size and construction mattress as the standard, fixed bed) is quickly and easily deployed. Newell now optionally offers, in lieu of laminates, interiors finished in UltraWood, a very beautiful genuine wood veneer available in several finishes. While UltraWood is expensive (a $44,000 option), it is simply gorgeous, and a nice solution to those who want "real wood."

I would take very strong exception to the comment that Newell offers less "custom" than any of the bus converters. We will agree to whatever the customer requests unless it is not possible to accomplish within our resources at a price acceptable to the customer.

Remember that since we build our own chassis and body, we have the ability to accomodate requests that are simply impossible if starting with a bus shell, and I will be specific. We occasionally build a coach with an engine not on our "normal" list, recently a 525 hp C13 Cat for example.

The length of the coach can be specified literally to the inch, anywhere from about 38 ft. to 45 ft. (or longer where legal). 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 slide-outs can be ordered, and the size and location of the slides can be specified, allowing a great deal of flexibility in floorplans. The slides can be flat-floor if desired. Bathrooms can be lcoated center or rear, or split with the shower located rear and the toilet center. Or bath and a half. Interior fabrics and finishes are infinite in variety, including now a choice between high pressure plastic laminates or the UltraWood genuine wood veneer.

Another reality of the current marketplace: It appears that the majority of new bus conversions are currently being sold from finished stock and therefore not custom, while the majority of new Newells are built to order, and custom-built to order, at that.

I hope this information is helpful.

Karl

Hi Karl,

I guess my question is this:

After looking at many Newell Coaches I have found a lot have close to the same layout/Floorplan. Now I know that none are supposed to be identical but many are very close. If Newell offers a base price Newell does this mean there is a base/standard Newell Layout? I am looking to upgrade to a early 90's Newell and I will be a Newell owner for life but after reading this thread I just had a few questions.

Thank You,

Newell Attack

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:50 AM   #14
karlb

Hi Karl,

I guess my question is this:

After looking at many Newell Coaches I have found a lot have close to the same layout/Floorplan. Now I know that none are supposed to be identical but many are very close. If Newell offers a base price Newell does this mean there is a base/standard Newell Layout? I am looking to upgrade to a early 90's Newell and I will be a Newell owner for life but after reading this thread I just had a few questions.

Thank You,

Newell Attack

Newell has a selection of "reference floorplans" that a customer can use as a starting point and then customized as little or as much as the customer wishes. At the moment, various reference floorplans offer either front entry door or mid-door locations, galleys located on the driver's side or co-pilot side, and standard fixed bed or Murphy bed. The customer can select either a full bath or bath-and-a-half. If none of the reference floorplans meet the customer's preferences, a completely custom floorplan can be developed and built.

Floorplans are a bit like fashion trends in that certain styles sell well for a time, and then something else comes along that becomes popular. That is why at any given time, many Newells have similar floorplans. But flexibility is always there, and you will virtually never see two Newells that have identical interior floorplans.

Karl
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #15
ikcandco

Is 'Newell' a 'Custom Coach'
-To answer many questions this is an article that appeared in the :
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Senior Travel Companion' - October 14, 2005 -
- it goes like this :
Newell Custom Coach RVs - Price Tag $1 million
-
- Business Week ran an article about luxury recreational vehicles that can
cost over $1 million. They called them "McMansions on Wheels." I needed
to see it to believe it. Newell Coach is one of the manufacturers. Rather
than towing a car behind one of these babys, I would suggest a mini oil
refining plant!

Here's their pitch:

The process of building each Newell coach begins with you, the owner. You tell us
your preferences, describe your tastes and select the elements you want built into
your dream coach.

As we listen, our engineers and designers will guide you through your options for
size, floor plan, interior furnishings, electronics, and mechanics that add to the
enjoyment and operating ease of your Newell.

A Newell is in every sense a true custom vehicle. It is not a modified passenger
bus. There are no makeshift components. From start to finish, your Newell is
manufactured as a completely integrated unit ensuring optimum safety, performance,
convenience, comfort, style and functionality.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This article conforms and confirms what 'Karl Blade' & the 'Newell People'
always underlined.

-
I just like Newells
May God Bless,
ikcandco
Old 10-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #16
ikcandco

Folks, if you didn't catch a glimpse of this amazing new look;
Re : 'Porsche Design, Illustration' sits in the 'Gallery' (2006 Album)
– By «CLICKING HERE» it will display in a new window.
May God Bless,
ikcandco
Old 11-08-2006, 08:37 AM   #17
ikcandco

Default . . . they treated each coach as a personal signature coach

. . . they treated each coach as a personal signature coach

marathon man : but isn't the inside basically the same as the previous ?
Marathon will go as custom as you like where Newell has limits on certain things.
Newell Attack : I have found a lot have close to the same layout/Floorplan

August 2003 ~ TravelKB.com ~ Forum ~
~ Here's a tread that shows 'What Newell Is All About;'
~'Newell Coach' is not even the principal character in this topic; here's another person
that express herself in the most purely fashion;
~ Over Six Years Ago, this person visited the Newell Plant and three years later she
still remembers and brings an added venue to her post. It seems quite important to her
and she addresses-it as 'A Side Note;'
~ In this second paragraph, I've underlined the part that speaks-out, without doubt, what
Newell has always preached.

@ : « TravelKB.com »
Craftmanship-CC vs Monaco
mickdhat - 02 Aug 2003 19:12 GMT

I realize Country Coach and Monaco are not in the same class as Newell or
Prevost but I'd like some opinions on comparative workmanship of both
of their high-end units (Monaco Signature/CC Affinity not the Lexa). I
also realize most of us are not looking to spend the kind of money these
coaches cost as new but eventually they do age to fit our price
bracket. I'm sure there's people in this group who have checked both out
at shows etc and have an eye for detail..chassis-wise there is not a
whole lot of differences in this class but final fit and finish I'm sure
there is or is there?

As a side note..3 years ago we visited the Newell factory just
for fun while
we were in the area and our impression was they treated
each coach as a personal signature coach, interestingly..all the employees
have been with them for many years with virtually no turnover, I'm sure
this is an exception in this industry but it sure showed in the quality of
their finished coaches, they stand alone in that regard.

~
What a remarkable testimonial.
May God Bless
KC
p.s.: I'm not associated and I do not know the person that wrote this post, I have
absolutely no links and I'm not a registered member of the 'TravelKB.com Forum.'
This Article has been in my files since a while and still available on the net.