generator won't fire - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
zcasa

Default generator won't fire

The generator worked perfectly yesterday, shut it down about 1:30pm. After driving about 3 hours this morning, I tried to start it and it wouldn't even fire. Help!

zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
prairieschooner

Back to the basics, Voltage. I always start with each end and then cut the wiring in half, then half again.
Sounds like a loose Connection would be the first place to start. Battery Cables?

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
fulltiming

David, it is my understanding that the generator will not even attempt to start from any of the interior switches. When you get a chance to stop, open the generator and see if it will start from the control box that is mounted on top of the generator. If not check the fuse on the front of the control box then check the connections to the starter switch to make sure it is getting power and getting voltage from the control box when the start switch is activated.

If the generator is making no attempt to start, it is likely a 12 volt wiring/fuse issue rather than fuel or other issue.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Wally Arntzen

It happened to me several years ago and it was the fuel filter. I was on the road and called my mechanic friend and the first thing he said was its fuel filter and he was right. I don't know how much you use your generator or change your filter. I use mine a lot and change the filter at least twice a year. It's very simple and not very costley.

Thats 2 cents worth from the fat guy and im sticking with it. Wally
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
tuga

David,

Does your generator turn over but not start?

Does it click when you try to start it?

Is it completely dead?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
fulltiming

I talked to David early this afternoon. While he was driving it would not even try to turn over. Nothing, Nada. When he got to the RV park he tried it again and it started without any problem. He is checking the wiring and the fuse. He will post when he gets a chance.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 07-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #7
prairieschooner

That is beginning to sound like a poor Ground (12 Volts DC -). A loose Ground can create havoc and be very elusive.
I don't know what the problem could be but armchair trouble shooting is better than watching TV.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Richard and Rhonda

David,

What have you found?
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
zcasa

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, just completely dead unless it decides to start and then it starts right away. Some very good leads to pursue here. Ground could certainly be it, fuel filter sounds very interesting and I should change it. I only use the gen for over the road travel, particularly, in hot weather for a/c use. I ran it for four hours from the panhandle to Atlanta yesterday. I haven't done anything further, except to tighten the battery cable, which I couldn't do by hand, but it tightened quite a bit via wrench. I haven't been able to do any more troubleshooting, because we had to set the show up today all day, and tomorrow also, then 40 hours of booth time for the following five days and then we are off. I am hoping it stays with me for the four day drive home and then I have quite a bit of time to troubleshoot. I'll see if I have an extra fuel filter with me, if not, I'll try and find one. Are they universal? Do I need to fill it with fuel before installing it? Thanks so much.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
fulltiming

The fuel filter would vary depending on the diesel engine powering the generator. If your is the 12.5KW Kohler like mine (although we know that the control panel isn't the same) it uses Kohler fuel filter 252765. While carrying a spare fuel filter and changing them out every 150 hours is a good practice, that is obviously not the problem if your generator is not even trying to turn over. That is an electrical anomaly.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 AM   #11
prairieschooner

David,
Sorry but I may be confused with your problem. I was to understand that the Generator wouldn't even crank over. If this is your problem then Voltage and Connections should be checked.
If the Generator Cranks Over but doesn't Start then it does sound like a Fuel Problem. Diesels require 3 things in order to run Compression, Air and Fuel.
Personally I change my Fuel Filters at least at the beginning of the season. I am changng them more often now because I am concerned about the quality of my Fuel, even though I have used most of the Old Fuel by now.
When we got the Prairie Schooner (our Newell) I went through all of the Battery Cables and relaced most of the Terminals when I replaced the Batteries. The Next thing that was replaced was the Fuel Filters. Then I Started the 6V92 (with other trials and tribulations) and I am replacing the Fuel Filter every few hours until I am comfortable (I will most likely change them before we go to Creede and before I leave Creede.
Good Luck with this intermittant troubles are a real _i__h to find.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]