625HP Cat - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Rick Foreman

Default 625HP Cat

I am interested in what your experience has been after having recently installed modern CAT power. I notice that you have only done one so far. Do you plan for CAT's to be a regular option in the future, or was this a custom job?

My experience with CAT power in my yachts has been exceptionally good and although I have a Series 60 in my Prevost/Marathon presently, I am considering CAT for my new coach--probably a Newell. I would also be interested in fuel economy comparisons and other operating statistics if you have any available yet.

Rick Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:42 AM   #2
TechTalk

We started delivering the big CAT 625s with the ZF AS-Tronic transmissions last winter, and have actually completed about three dozen so far. The program has gone very well, with excellent reliability and good service in the field. This is currently the standard equipment powertrain. We have completed one of the 600 h.p. CATs with the new, uprated version of the Allison MH4000 transmission. This is also an excellent performer. The 600/Allison is optional for those that prefer the smoother shifting characteristics of the Allison over the more "mechanical" and sporty feel of the ZF. Both CAT combinations are getting fuel mileage comparable to the 515 h.p. Detroit Series 60, the range during break-in being between about 5 1/4 m.p.g. for 75 m.p.h. cruising pulling a tow vehicle to about 7 m.p.g. at 65 m.p.h. without a vehicle in tow. We expect the numbers to go up a bit as the engines are broken in, but it appears that the CAT ACERT technology is providing fuel economy comparable to the Series 60 even at the higher horsepower ratings. And sure, we'd be happy to talk with you about trading the Marathon for a Newell. Besides the power advantage, the ZF suspension rides and handles on an entirely new level, and the steerable tag should make the deal!