Check Engine Light Issue? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2000, 03:58 AM   #1
otto burleson

Default Check Engine Light Issue?

Light Light MUST STAY ON 8 SECONDS TO REG FAULT CODE. LIGHT BLING - SOMETIMES FOR 1 TO 5 SECONDS

OTHER TIMES WILL STAY ON FOR ??? TIME. Have not had Fault Codes analized in some time.Do not know if they are actually recording fault codes now.

otto burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 03:51 AM   #2
Elmer Hays

Default Check Engine Light Issue?

We own a 1992 Newell Coach. The check engine light comes on when going up a steep hill. We have installed a new heat senser but still have the same problem. We have taken it to a garage to have the computer checked and they found no problem. They contacted Paul in the service department. He had no answer. We are now at a loss at what to do???? HELP

Elmer Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 05:37 PM   #3
TechTalk

Check Engine Light - From your brief description, it appears that the computer is sensing that the engine is overheating and activating the check engine light. This can be confirmed. Every time the check engine light comes on in a computer-controlled Detroit Diesel engine, the computer logs a fault code. The code can read by any qualified Detroit Diesel technician. We suggest you visit a Detroit Diesel service facility for further diagnosis and the appropriate repair. Some further general comments on rear engine Newells through 1994 equipped with rear radiators rather than the current side radiators. Rear radiators are very efficient, but they accumulate grease, dirt, and grime, and therefore require regular washing, preferably with a power washer. If fluid leaks exist, radiators will get dirty more quickly and cleaning must be accomplished at shorter intervals. Over time, the radiator fins also become damaged, so more serious radiator maintenance eventually becomes necessary.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:20 PM   #4
otto burleson

DDEC I is not showing ANY errors and the check engine light has been on many many times for as much as 3 to 8 minutes. Long enough to register.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:57 PM   #5
otto burleson

Ref check eng light - I have spent $1749 trying to turn off this light. Replaced Coolant temp sensor - coolant Low sensor - and sensor on crankshaft oil temp.

Light still comes and goes. Have learned to live it. Detroit Desiel in Dallas did the work - even replaced the Error Promt in the DDEC I. Good luck.

QUESTIONS FROM TechTalk STAFF: DOES THE DDEC REGISTER ANY FAULT CODES WITH A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WARNING? A CODE SHOULD REGISTER EVERY TIME THE LIGHT COMES ON.
Old 08-05-2001, 04:02 PM   #6
Elmer Hays

Otto,

Thanks for your response to our questons. Would have answered sooner but we just received today (sunday).
Our coach runs about 180 degrees to 185 degrees on the flats. In the Mountains it may go up to 200 or 210 thats when the check engine light comes on. When we peak out the temp gauge will go back down to the 180 or 185 but the light will not go out. We stop the engine and check radiator and it isn't hot.

We had our raditor rodded, cleaned and power washed when we purchased Coach. I own a power washer and I clean raditor after each trip so I'm sure the raditor isn't dirty.

We had the heat sensor in the engine replaced also have had Will Napier @ Diesel Equip check the computer. He found that the code does register that engine is hot but it wasn't. He called and talked to Paul who said if we had the cruse control on it would register hot but we were not running the cruse control.

We hope to see you on some of our trips and hope that both of our check engine lights are out by then. If not I may take a hammer AND KNOCK IT OUT and save $1749 LOL
Sincerely
Elmer Hays Lakeside, Az

Questions from Teck Talk Staff:
Is there a way to change the computer so it doesn't register hot when it isn't? Shouldn't the light go off when the temp drops back down? At what temp. does the computer think the engine is hot? We have owned this coach since 1998 and this has only started to happen the past six months.
Elmer Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 10:10 PM   #7
Bill Burch

I had a check engine light problem for quite sometime and we finally found the problem to be the engine compartment batteries. Since replacing the two batteries I've had no further problems. My light would come on for 10 to 20 seconds them go off for 10 to 15 minutes then come on again. The fellows at Newell found my problem.
Bill Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 07:47 PM   #8
otto burleson

Re engine light - Part of the expense I had was 4 New Batteries and all new Cables - still didn't fix the problem.

My coach is 1988 - First model of DDEC brains - My light will go off with a change in RPM - either up or down.

Otto