Freedom 458 Inverter Problems and fix - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
encantotom

Default Freedom 458 Inverter Problems and fix

I have a 2kw Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter. during my summer long trip it started acting up. it would only turn on and invert when AC power was applied either from shore or the genny. if i tried to turn the inverter on when no AC power was applied, then it would turn the invert light on, but not generate any power. you could turn it on with AC power on, then turn the AC power off and the inverter would be ok.

i borrowed a working control panel and tried it, no fix. i took the inverter out and took it to the xantrex factory repair center, which ended up only being a couple of miles from my house. the tech there was very nice and he fixed it while i waited. it had a bad control board that cost me 200 bucks plus 30 bucks labor to replace and check it out.

i traced all the wires out on my inverter and have bought the wire and breaker to re wire it. currently it has 12 gauge wire going to it to and from the breaker panel. it also only powers the icemaker and the AV gear. since it is rated as a 30amp transfer switch, i am rewiring it with 10 gauge romex to and from and will hook in the microwave now as well. my icemaker has its own transfer switch manually controlled by a switch over the microwave, so when not in invert mode, it doesnt flow through the inverter.

i will put in a 30 amp breaker for the main for the inverter, rewire it and include the microwave and i should be just fine.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
jwe648

Default Dual Freedom 458

Tom,

As you know I have (2) Freedom 458inverters. I have been tracing the installation and now have installed (2) control panels to better manage the system. It appears that all is wired correctly but, I can't seem to get the invert part to come on line. The charge works as advertized. All the indications appear normal. The Invert lites go's solid green when I turn them on, then starts a slow blink after a min or so (back to standby). I have tried it with & without shore power. Think I should take the boxes to your guy? Or, do you have another trick? As you know they are buried, I want do do everything before removing them. ....... If not could I get the address of the service center?

Thanks...

Jimmy

Old 10-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
encantotom

hi Jimmy,

i sent you and email with the name and phone number of the guy. unfortunately they are no longer working on xantrex inverters. he would be willing to talk to you i am sure to give you some ideas.

tom

Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

Jimmy this is a dumb question so forgive me. Do you have a load on anywhere?

Some inverters require a certain amperage load to tell them to work. The inverter I had in a previous coach needed for something to be on for it to stay on, or it would go into a standby mode to save 12V power.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
jwe648

Default No Question is Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
Jimmy this is a dumb question so forgive me. Do you have a load on anywhere?

Some inverters require a certain amperage load to tell them to work. The inverter I had in a previous coach needed for something to be on for it to stay on, or it would go into a standby mode to save 12V power.
** Richard with me no question is dumb.. But, in my attempt to encourage the inverter to stay online I left the 110v referigerator on then shut down the shore line. I also tried it with the generator. I reset it manually... The setting is at 4 watts so it should have picked up.. I have no fault indications and the chargers work....... at 110$ per hour I believe I will keep plugging along untill I give up & call in the pros ...so far no response from the mfg... The good news is I still have many more projects on the rig to keep me occupied.. I'm now restoring the bedroom..
Old 10-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Richard and Rhonda

If it isn't too much trouble disconnect the 110 wiring at the inverter and power it up. Confirm that the inverter is or is not putting out any AC power. Let's divide the problem in half, is it the inverter or the downstream wiring / transfer setup.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
jwe648

Default I'll give it a Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
If it isn't too much trouble disconnect the 110 wiring at the inverter and power it up. Confirm that the inverter is or is not putting out any AC power. Let's divide the problem in half, is it the inverter or the downstream wiring / transfer setup.
Thanks for the suggestion.. I'll give it a shot & report back.. Think I should also remove the AC input? Part of the sharing mode.. (this sets the shore input & makes up the demand diff with the inverter)
Old 10-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
fulltiming

Jimmy, you mentioned your 110 volt refrigerator. Is that refrigerator on your inverter? I just have an RV type Norcold 110 volt/propane refrigerator in my coach and it is not wired into the inverter. The items originally powered by the inverter on my coach were the electric outlets to the AV equipment in front and rear, the microwave, the ceiling fan over the bed, the 120 volt lights over the lavatory and, if the engine was running, the ice-maker.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
jwe648

Default Refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltiming View Post
Jimmy, you mentioned your 110 volt refrigerator. Is that refrigerator on your inverter? I just have an RV type Norcold 110 volt/propane refrigerator in my coach and it is not wired into the inverter. The items originally powered by the inverter on my coach were the electric outlets to the AV equipment in front and rear, the microwave, the ceiling fan over the bed, the 120 volt lights over the lavatory and, if the engine was running, the ice-maker.
No' the ole' 75 Classic has a household 110v refigerator installed, need the inverter or the gen when traveling. Besides the two inverters, there is also a converter installed, not sure what's up with that....The other things are the AV equiptment, some lights, both AC's and the microwave. The only thing that runs off propane is the furnace 40gal tank and the water heater another 6 gal tank.. The 110v panel is powered by the inverter, shore power or gen....there is a automitic switching device..
Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
Richard and Rhonda

Jimmy, I would completely isolate the inverter if it isn't too much trouble, my thinking being that something downstream of the inverter could be causing it to trip. I know you said you didn't have any faults, but just in case something downstream is kaflooey.

The point is to confirm that the inverter is not putting out AC power.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 10-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
jwe648

Default Good RV Electrical Information

During my Quest to fully understand the RV Electrical Systems ran across this website:
http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_elect...ar.htm#Xantrex Inverters

Seems to have a clear view of What's What.

Jimmy
Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Richard and Rhonda

Jimmy,

One other thing to check, some inverters when using a remote control panel actually have the switch on the inverter turned to OFF. My Heart inverter works that way.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 05-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #13
jwe648

Default Mystery Solved

Now that I'm near the end of the major rebuild and using the coach...
I had avoided the inverters hoping they would heal on their own.. But, I broke down and had a (qualifed) RV inverter Pro take a look. No wiring problems as I feared.. both inverters need repair. It appears that the AC boards are fried from a voltage spike ( will buy some surge protection)... I took a look ugh!.. the xantex service is now in Tucson and will work on them Sat while I wait.... Looks like it will run about $400 ea... The previous owner had set it up to run the A/C... I'll remove them from the inverter system and use the genny.. end of story.. I'll have plenty of power now for that frig and just about anything else one could dream up...

Jimmy
Old 05-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
encantotom

hi jimmy, i cant wait to see the coach.

here is the electrical management system that i have in mine. it does a number of things as well as surge protection.

today i went to the world expo in shanghai. lots of people, too much walking. ate in a mexican restaurant there that mostly served hot dogs, hamburgers and french fries....and had pictures of easter island as if it was in mexico. a little mixed up

tom in smoggy shanghai

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

Old 05-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
jwe648

Default Final Report

Well I now have two repaired 458 inverters. turns out it was not the AC Board but another. The problem was not a surge but as a result of long a long term overload condition. Two new boards and one new cooling fan fixed the problem. I will still be adding surge protection as the Tec walked me thru all the different things and examples of problems. Sort of a mini-class on inveters. I have cleaned up and better sealed the inverter bay to protect from heat and dirt and adding some aux vent fans to keep things cool...

Jimmy