Update On Progress On 2002 Newell Coach - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
encantotom

Default Update On Progress On 2002 Newell Coach

i thought i would give a brief update of what i have done on my project.

1. rebuilt the 110v compressor manifold. found a bad check valve and replaced one of the solenoid valves and the pressure switch. and the air dryer. painted it.
2. took out the 12v compressor since it was blowing fuses. took out the aquahot tank. polished them both, cleaned bay. installed the new compressor. works good.
3. rebuilt all three dupree poo valves. 2 were air operated and i rebuilt the cylinders. ended up buying a color inspection camera/monitor to find the loose pieces of the seal in the valve on the passenger side. all of the valves were not working. seals were bad.
4. had roger burke rebuild the aquahot webasto. it was sick. lots of new parts and roger has been great as he answered my many questions. fired it up late this afternoon and man did i have smoke. after about an hour it cleaned up. since i was leaking diesel fuel through the exhaust before, it smoked like crazy under the coach until it burned off too. now i got heat and hot water? the prices on the parts for the burner are out of this world high, but roger is as cheap as anyone. i replaced the radiator cap on the aquahot and topped off the coolant.
5. i replaced the clear sight tube on the poo tank by the aquahot.
6. replaced and replumbed the headhunter mach5 water pump. put some water in the tank tonite and tested it out. works great.
7. got all new bay and engine door struts. replaced the bay doors ones so far. thanks to steve bare.
8. fixed the fiberglass on the passenger side engine door so door stays latched better. realignned the door so it closes straight.
9. repgrogrammed the bode door keless entry lock now i remember the code....
10. replaced and cleaned both banks of batteries. put power pulse on both banks. replaced engine battery cables. there was corrosion back about 6 inches on them.
11. replaced merge switch and cleaned electrical panels in engine compartment.
12. fixed sheared off bolt on latch for generator slide.
13. got parts to replace thermostat for genny.
14. fixed several air leaks in engine compartment and such.
15. asked a thousand questions from a number of you.
16. started playing arond with how to build a bed frame. started experimenting with led lights inside coach.
17. got all new tail, stop and reverse lights. tail, stop and turn will be led. reverse i replaced the housing
18. ordered new silverleaf module. will install it this weekend.
19. ordered a ton of parts, made a thousand trips to home depot, ace hardware, the parker store, grainger, etc.

i am taking it to a bus shop on tuesday to have it mechanically gone over. will have some servicing done as well.

still have a lot to figure out but am making alot of progress.

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
tuga

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

Glad to see that you are making progress and having a blast doing it!

It's a good feeling to have everything working right!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
larryweikart

Tom, my Christmas gift to you, would be a plane ticket to Michigan, and all the Holiday goodies you can eat, while WE work on my Coach. If you should ever find spare time on your hands (ha ha)! Sure would like to see your coach when you're finished, but somehow I get the feeling that time never comes.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
chockwald

That is quite a list.....are you sleeping more than 90 minutes a night?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
LynnJeff

And I was just excited to find aluminium door panels to jazz up my old Dometic (can't give up that propane frig option).
LynnJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #6
encantotom

ok, another update. i took her into my bus shop tuesday and it was there today as well. i was there the entire time and they let me help or work on anything i want while there. they have a lift and it sure is nice to work on things when you can walk under it.

1. drained all air tanks.
2. exhaust for genny was loose so replaced hanger
3. changed dryer filter
4. checked coolant, needs 3 pints of nitrates (i had a bunch so will do it thursday)
5. took fluid samples from oil and tranny on series 60 and on the genny oil. will get results from CAT fluid lab on thursday
6. oil had just been changed on engine and filters looked new so didnt change it.
7. checked ujoints and they are good.
8. removed some "extra" trim that was under coach.
9. changed the oil seal on the alternator. it is an oil cooled alternator. had to remove the engine door gas springs to get at it. so i changed all 4 engine door gas springs and put new ones i had on it. changed the ball studs as well.
10. tranny had been serviced 40k miles ago so my bus guy said to wait till next oil change to do the tranny.
11. engine air filter is restricted per the indicator so i need to get one. i can hardly wait to change it....not...
12. my abs light had been on. it indicated rear drive wheel sensor out of gap. so pushed it back in to regap it and light is OFF!
13. fixed hydraulic leak in slide hydraulic compartment in front of drivers side front wheel.
14. checked air bags. front axle bags look new, tag axle bags look new, 3 of the 4 on the drive axle are TERRIBLY cracked and checked. the 4th looks new. so, i ordered 4 new bags. they are goodyear 1r11-066. no one in phoenix stocked them and online no one had any in stock. i found a truck parts dealer that could get 2 from two different locations and i will have them friday. i will replace all 4 and keep the good looking one as a spare.
15. i spent considerable time searching for air leaks under the coach. found nothing. dissappointing since it drops air. the front of the coach dropped about 2-3 inches overnite. (with no compressor on)
16. tires are shot. inside drive tires are wavy. will replace all of them. but waiting till i think i am going somewhere to do it.

now for the biggee. the brakes and wheel bearings and seals.

there are disc brakes on all axles on mine. the calipers and rotors are HUGE. each caliper has a big pin that glides inside a sleeve that allows the caliper to move in and out freely. like a guide. at the end of the sleeve is a rubber cap that is put on with a metal band. all 4 of my rear calipers had frozen on that sleeve/pin. one took 2 hours of heating, sledge hammers and patience for the mechanics to get apart. then you need very special tools to be able to easily change the sleeves(they press in) and then special lube to go in the sleeve for the pin.

so put rebuild kits in all 4 of the rear brakes. new pads on the drive axle.

the tag axle was dry on one of the hubs and ruined the bearings and race. so, new bearings. the seals on the tag on both sides were leaking. so replaced them as well. the tag and front axles have a clear sight glass on the inside hub so you can see the amount of lube in the axle. one of the tags had a solid metal cap with no way to see inside. i had them change both of them to stemson caps that are easy to see and read the levels on. one of the calipers was shot. it had rusted inside and the chain drive to push the two calipers out was totally rusted. fortunately my bus guy keeps old calipers and he rebuilt one out of two that ended up being like new. i shudder to think how much a new caliper costs. i would guess 600 or so.

the front brakes/axles appeared ok. they had full levels of gear oil so had no leaks. the leaks are easy to tell. if it is wet behind the rotor, it is leakings. of course it helps to know that the oil is level in the hub.

when i take it back to have the airbags put in, the dash air recharged we will do another check on the front brakes.

my guys where very complete and wanted things to be perfect. just my kinda place. it was clear that before the previous owner had just fixed what was bad and didnt do total complete repairs. i understand, but i am not that way.

they seemed to think the engine and tranny were fine. so that is a relief. i will confirm that with the fluid analysis i get on thursday.

as i drove home i took the long way and drove on the freeway. it sure drives nice. only the 4th time i have actually driven it. when i get the new tires and airbags i assume and hope it will ride even nicer.

soon i will be over the basic mechanical and coach system stuff so i can start on the inside updating. lots to do there as well.

i impress myself.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
larryweikart

I sure hope you got 608 for a very good price Tom and I'm sure looking forward to meeting you and seeing your Newell "collection" in a couple of weeks. Is it possible we could get together on the 14th? I don't wish to impose on you, but I sure would love to pick your Newell brain for a while.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
rheavn

Tom,
Changing the air filter should not be a tough job. On the early series 60s coaches apparently it is much harder. I replaced mine working slowly & polishing the turbo pipes in just over an hour. Just remove the chrome horizontal pipe, loosen the top turbo pipe clamp, loosen both clamps on the air inlet pipe and work it to the right about 6"-8". Now loosen the two air filter clamps and you can remove it by working it out down & toward the center of the engine. Goes back together in reverse. Plenty of room to work with the engine cover up.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
rheavn

Spent yesterday with my ultrasonic leak detector and found two very small air leaks in what I thought were unusual places. Every thing under the coach was air tight. In basement compartment L-4 is the air inlet line leading to the slide seal regulator. In front of the regulator was a small plastic & brass shut off valve that was leaking. I replaced shut off valve with an all brass ball valve. I also found an air line leaking in basement compartment R-5. Had to replace the air line that goes between the air dump valve & solenoid. Now I am air tight again. Not sure if you checked these places. Today I'm going inside the coach to check for leaks. Lots of air lines under the dash.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
encantotom

i am just really getting started on the air leaks. i have been so focused on other things it has been a secondary effort.
i did get a new solenoid manifold from grainger yesterday to replace the one that controls the slide for the bay fridge/freezer. the old one was plastic and though the new one looks the same, it is metal. it also no longer comes with the solenoids, so it threw me off a little in finding the replacement. i will just put the old solenoid coils on the new one. simple job. the old one leaks constantly when in the extended position.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
encantotom

steve (or anyone else with the same vintage), do you have a part number handy for the s50 air filter? in my list of numbers it shows as a

FARR #C-62891-2
(not sure of brand ) 062891002
ecolite D-62891-002
napa 6893

but i am not really sure and i can't read it while it is installed.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
encantotom

i left off one other thing. the s60 oil pan gasket was seeping a little. not enough to drip but enough to see. going to change it at the next oil change. (in a year).

tom

Old 12-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Neweller

It looks like your making good progress. Wish I had one like this to tackle. I'd be in Newell Heaven. I would be so happy to restore a newer Newell back to Primo condition. You are so lucky to have this kind of opportunity.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
rheavn

Tom,
I order a Fram CA 7230 from FilterBarn.com. They are now $89.28. Last time when I opened the box it was the same Ecolite filter that was on my coach including the Ecolite label. Only the shipping box said Fram. FilterBarn has free shipping if you order more than $100.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
Neweller

I ordered a 6v92 air filter from FilterBarn.com and it came in damaged, so they sent me another and it came in damaged. The box had Fastenal on it, like maybe they are returns or something. Prices were very good. I didn't do a second claim the second one that was damaged even more. I just ended up straightening it.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
larryweikart

I just sent away for my leak detector, so I'm a little behind on that project. But I do know that I want to purchase some spare leveling solenoids. Do any of you have a source that is less then $120 ea.? I'm referring to the Round ones that go on the manifold.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
rheavn

The hydraulic filter that came on my coach was a Victor, but I couldn't find them in my area. I use a Fleetguard HF6710. I used Fleetguard filters on my Country Coach & I like them. I get my hydraulic filters at FilterBarn.com too for $7.91. Actually I get all my filters except the coolant filter(for the coolant filter I use a NAPA 4074) from them. . I change the hydraulic filter every 15,000 miles. I change the reservoir oil every 30,000 miles.
Note: In my post I said my coach came with a victor hydraulic filter. That was incorrect. It came with a Vickers V0211B1R03. You can also use a Donaldson #DNP550388.

Ken,
Sorry you had trouble with your filter order.

Larry,
Sorry I can't help you as I've never bought any, so I'll be interested in the responses you receive. You will love your leak detector. It will save you hours! Not sure how any DIY, who owns a Newell, can do without one.

Hope this helps..................
Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #18
larryweikart

Thanks Steve. I received the leak detector today and am looking forward to discovering some hard to find leaks.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #19
Richard and Rhonda

Comment on the leveling solenoids. There are only two sources I have found. HWH and Newell. Newell was cheaper. They are proprietary. I contacted the orig manufacturers and they would not sell to me.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:31 AM   #20
prairieschooner

Mine are MAC and I have found a source. They are readily available without the manually stay energized option. I found them at a Pneumatic Valve Supplier but our Newell is an '82 and there is no manifold, they are hard plumbed.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote