Air bags with springs on front suspension? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
slateblue911

Default Air bags with springs on front suspension?

I just bought a 1971 Newell. In lokking at the suspension I noticed that it has air bags on the front suspension. It also has the standard spring setup. These air bags are only on the front and not the rear axle. Does anyone know why this would be configured like this? I wouldn't think that they would serve any purpose since the springs are still intact.

https://www.newellclassic.com/gallery....php?album=145
slateblue911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
HoosierDaddy

Welcome SB911!
My GUESS is that they were added to increase the capacity of the front suspension.....not an uncommon problem on a motorhome.

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

Can you take a picture and post?

Along the lines of aftermarket, do you see any evidence that they are stock or added on at a later time?
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
fulltiming

Dean is likely correct but photos would be very interesting. By allowing air bags to take a part of the load, lighter weight springs can be used allowing a smoother ride with the same weight carrying capacity or increased weight carrying capacity without further detracting from ride harshness.

I added Firestone Airbags to the rear of a Ford 1 ton Club Wagon and removed the stiffest (shortest) spring from the pack and the difference in ride was amazing.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
slateblue911

I am going back to Fayetteville on Friday. I will get the photos and post. Hopefully I can get her ready to come home with me. Texas has some strict laws about vehicles with no plates so I had to get temp plates to make the drive home. This was just one of the reasons that I didn't get to bring her home last week.

I can tell you that the airbags look to be from the factory. They sit between the from axle and the frame. It doesn't appear to be a retrofit addition. The airlines are run to the front of the coach by the radiator. I do think that these have been modified. The Coach has an on board air pump but I cannot find anything that is attached to it. Lets just say that once I get her home she will get put back correctly and everything will get updated to working order.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:11 AM   #6
slateblue911

Here is the photo of the front axle with the spring and air bag. It looks like to me that there is no suspension travel left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	310  

Old 08-16-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
HoosierDaddy

I think they are add-ons.
A somewhat common solution to worn and/or overloaded springs. I don't see a shock absorber. Is it just not visible or were they removed for clearance for the 'bags?
Suspension travel appears to be limited but may be improved once the 'bags are aired up. They probably removed a rubber bump stop that would have been located where the 'bags are. I'd air them up and run it to see how it handles. I would have concerns though if there are no shock absorbers.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
slateblue911

You are probably right about them being an add on. Come to think of it. I didn't look for a shock absorber. I will have to take a look when I get it back to Texas. Apparently, the previous owners drove it like this for years. They told me it rode really rough with air in the bags. I have owned two Range Rover HSE's and and am familiar with a complete air ride suspension. One I get it home I will see what PSI will work and make it ride right. Currently the on-board air system is not even hooked in.