New Owner of a 1984 Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Stubborn

Default New Owner of a 1984 Newell

Hi-
We are Karl and Teresa Schwehm and just purchased a 1984 Newell. We are located in Garden Ridge, TX and purchased the coach in Phoenix, AZ. Does anyone know where I might get an Owner's Manual for this rig? I've got the Detroit manual, but would like to learn A LOT about all of the systems.

Thanks-
Karl

Stubborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
folivier

Welcome! You're in the right spot to learn about your coach. I don't think you'll have much luck finding a manual, other than manuals for the individual things like heaters, stoves, etc.
Just wait a bit and some of the other guys with 80's series coaches will jump in.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
chockwald

Hey Karl.....welcome to the Newell Luxury Coach forum! We own a 1982 Newell. There is no real owners manual. What we got when we bought ours was the Newell 3 ring binder with manuals for all the off the shelf systems in the coach. Every Newell is wired differently, and set up differently. We just passed through the San Antonio area a few weeks ago....would love to have met up with you and helped you get to know your coach! We are now in Florida, and won't be back in Texas for some time. We hope you will post pictures of your coach and feel free to ask any questions.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Bill & Sonja

Hi Karl, we have an 87 and the type written manual that was developed specifically for the coach. Not sure how much overlap there may be with your 84 but when an opportunity arises to scan the manual I will email it to you if you wish. We are camping around California and Arizona for the next month and I will not have a scanner at my disposal till early May. If a specific question arises that he manual deals with I'll photograph pages and email them to you.Fun times ahead with your Newell!Bill
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Stubborn

Default Thanks for the help/info!

Thanks for all the help/info! We're taking our coach on a couple of 3 week trips this Summer and are really looking forward to exploring parts of the US in our Newell. I'm starting from ground zero on this rig - not much in common with our 28 foot bumper pull bunkhouse! I changed the oil/filters and added some coolant - then had a great trip back to Texas from Phoenix! Tires are on the really short list to buy - it's running 11R24.5 tires that are past their prime! Overall though - the coach is in great shape, if you overlook the 2 banged up bay doors on the passenger's side!
Stubborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
NewellCrazy

Stubborn,
Welcome to the forum. You will find many helpful & friendly people here who are more than willing to provide you with any assistance you may need. Don't forget that most of the owners manuals for items in your coach are available on line.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
MiniNancy

Welcome aboard!!

1998 BMW Z3
1999 BMW Z3M Coupe
2011 MINI Cooper Hampton S
2005 BMW X5 3.0
1979 Mini Classic
Hughes 269 A
Kitfox IV
MiniNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Neweller

Hi Karl & Teresa and to Luxury Coach Lifestyle the Original Newell Forum and member sharing site. So glad to hear about another Classic owner and member.
We are here to help or assist you in any way possible to make your Newell ownership the best it can be. Please come share often about your ownership and experiences.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
my38special

Hello Karl,

Nice to see another vintage Newell enthusiast. We have a 38' 1983 Newell. We learned a few hard lessons on our first trips. I recommend that you make sure you fully understand the Battery Merge switch on your dash (the actual solenoid is to the right of the radiator) and also check around to see if you have any other battery isolation switches (I found the hard way). I also found out that air bags last about 25 years; make sure they've been replaced. I got lucky when one of mine ruptured after I parked it; could have been ugly to have it fail going down the road. Given that you've had a trailer, you'll have no problems with the other systems. Welcome aboard.

my38special is offline   Reply With Quote