Is Our Fresh Water Tank Ruined - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
MiracleJ

Default Is Our Fresh Water Tank Ruined

Hello Newell Classic,

My wife and I recently purchased a used newell out of the classified section of your website. All in all we are happy with the purchase and working on giving it our own feel. Whats in question here is my fresh water tank It is stained from the iron that was in the water over the years. Do you think it will be ok for shower, dishes, toilet,laundry and general cleaning use? Or will it always distribute the iron from the stains to my water? I poured a gallon of bleach into it and filled it half way to try and slosh it around and clean it. How about using that CRL or whatever it's called to clean bathroom and kitchens with? Should I just replace the tank with a plastic tank or leave it be?

Jerry Hartley

MiracleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Leave it be.

Do you have the separate water filters for your drinking water?

It will help if you add your coach number and year to your signature.

That's a lot of bleach to sterilize the tank, make sure you flush it a couple of times or it will taste icky.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
86loco

I had a little corrosion in my stainless tank mainly around fittings and the water tank but truly minimal and we have used CLR and it works just fantastic for all kinds of cleaning. I have used it on batteries and electrical connection by mixing with water and leaving on overnight then rinsing and drying off with great success. I would be careful using bleach like that it can become toxic to your lungs.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
The Newell

I would not put ANY chemical into the water you would not be comfortable drinking any amount of. Bleach is fine in trace amounts, it's used for sanitizing all sorts of food-grade equipment. However, CLR, etc are extremely caustic, and I would not be comfortable with even trace amounts in my water supply.

Why all the worry about some rust stains? I'll bet one TV dinner has more chemicals and bad bad things than you'd pick up from a month of use of the tank.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
NewellCrazy

How about having a company like El Monte Plastics, Ardemco, or such make a plastic tank for you ?. Tanks are not that expensive and if properly mounted and maintained will last a lifetime plus many people take iron supplements, including my wife so a little iron shouldn't be a problem I would think ?

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
express1

Not sure about the cost of the tank itself, but labor to remove and re-plumb?
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
Jon ghiles

Iron in water is a problem all around this beautiful country but I don't think I have ever heard about it being a health issue.
Jon ghiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
David Carrol

I borrowed this information from everpure.com

iron

An element (Fe) often found dissolved in ground water (in the form of ferrous iron) in concentrations usually ranging from zero to 10 ppm (mg/L). It is objectionable in water supplies because of the staining caused after oxidation and precipitation (as ferric hydroxide), because of tastes, and because of unsightly colors produced when iron reacts with tannins in beverages such as coffee and tea.

iron bacteria

Organisms which are capable of utilizing ferrous iron, either from the water or from steel pipe, in their metabolism and precipitating ferric hydroxide in their sheaths and gelatinous deposits. These organisms tend to collect in pipe lines and tanks during periods of low flow and to break loose in slugs of turbid water to create staining, taste, and odor problems.
David Carrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
The Newell

I did not mention this in my previous post since I couldn't think of the name but if the stains bother you they can be removed with a product sold at most walmarts etc. It is called Winks Rust Stain Remover just make sure to rinse your tank a couple of times.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
prairieschooner

I agree, add a filter and use the tank. We filter the water into the system and going over to the Kitchen Sink and Icemaker. The filter for the water after getting onto the coach is one of those Charcoal Filters that I bought a either Home Depot or Lowes. Filters are easy to buy and it was easy to install.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Newellin Thunder

plain household vinegar will remove that rust. Just put a couple of gallons in the tank and slosh it around for about 15 min or so.

There may be a vinegar flavor to the water depending on how much you use and how long you leave it there but someone can probably tell you how to kill that flavor. I doubt that there will be much considering how much water the tank holds compared to how much vinegar residue will be left in the tank.

The good thing about this method is that nobody gets poisoned and a small amount of vinegar is actually supposed to be healthful.

Bleach hardly affects rust and it is definitely poision if too concentrated.

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote