Ride hieght - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
mnhoff

Default Ride hieght

Since we purchased our coach it has been running at 10 1/2 inches approx, to the recommended run hieght. Now that I have changed out all the bags and levelers I have got her up to the recommended 12". My question is can it affect any thing or damage if I was to lift and run here at 13 or slightly higher?

1995 Newell Coach #372
mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Neweller

Mike, that is an interesting question. What is your reason you are thinking for raising it higher than what is recommended? Does it fill too soft or is it a height and clearance concern? Oh, is this the recommended height from Newell or from another reference?

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I have raised mine to the maximum of about 16" a few times due to a crown in the road. When raised, there is absolutely no springs and you have to go very slow. I suspect that raising it above 12" would make for a rougher ride and why take the chance of damaging some mechanical parts.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
mnhoff

Thanks for the replys. I have not called directly on ride hieght but from past treads 12" to the square tubing behind steer tires and in front of drive tires. I am running at 13 at the moment and seems to ride beautifull. Makes sense chester that getting it to high would take the spring out of the bags and affecting the ride. I am going to call Newell monday to clarify this question on the 12" and if greater will affect anything. I have owned this coach for just about 2 years and how nice it is going from 10 1/2 to 13 is great. I now can go where I never could before.
1995 Newell Coach #372
Old 09-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
Neweller

Mike that is great news to hear that your coach rides like a dream now. Who would have known until you just changed out all of your bags. Hopefully you got some good pics and and if so I or Sean (NewellCrazy) will gladly help you get them uploaded. Chester that is amazing you can get that baby up to 16" on the bags like that, makes for a little short distance off roading if ever in a jamb I guess.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
mnhoff

Checked with Boyd at Newell today Ken. He verified ride hieght should be 11 1/2". I also mentioned to Boyd that I had a long wait to get air springs from firestone to replace my exsisting ones with the 1" diameter air intake. His reply to that was in 95 they custom ordered them for my rig with the larger port to allow each spring to have its own accumulator tank. This was instrumental in providing a nice soft controlled ride by allowing expansion of the air in the airspring when hitting a bump or chuck hole. I was wondering when I was changing the bags why there was so may tanks built up into the frame of this rig. I quess I should be very happy because she does float along quite nice.

1995 Newell Coach #372