Tech Talk Archives 3 - Page 5 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #81
Neweller

A
356 7/15/2001 1:27:28 PM 7/15/2001 Bob Marlatt insidegolf@cablespeed.com Which Tires I have just purchased a 1973 Newell coach (31') that needs tires all around. Since I don't have the original manual that came with the rig, I can't determine the weight or distribution of weight for the coach. Can you recommend the correct tires I should purchase? Are the front tires different from the rear?

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #82
Neweller

Q
357 7/15/2001 2:31:06 PM 7/15/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Which Tires While the original tires installed on your 1973 Newell are probably shown on the build documents we have on file, the changes in tire technology and the possible changes to the motor home in almost 20 years make this information irrelevent. You wouldn't want the original make and model tires, probably a now obsolete tubed tire, even if they were still available. Our recommendation: Weigh each axle of the coach with full fuel and fresh water tanks. Then go down to your local Michelin truck tire dealer with one of your wheels (assuming they are all the same size, which almost certainly was the case when new) and find out what steel belted radial tires Michelin currently offers that will both 1) fit on your wheels and 2) give you a good weight capacity margin. While you are at it, you might need to invest in a new set of wheels to fit your existing hubs.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #83
Neweller

A
359 7/15/2001 2:35:18 PM 7/15/2001 Steven J Casey stevenjcasey@msn.com Conversion of Queen to Twins? My wife and I have found a 1987 40-foot Newell we like a whole lot. It has an island queen bed. After 30 years of sharing a king bed, and being given to ocassional fitful sleep, we are afraid a queen might mean one of us sleeps on the couch many nights. Is it possible to swap out the queen for twins, or does the configuration of the coach preclude that? If it's possible, is it a big deal? Thanks for any and all help.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #84
Neweller

Q
360 7/15/2001 2:54:13 PM 7/15/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Conversion of Queen to Twins? To convert an island queen coach to twins requires any of the components installed under the bed, such as automotive heaters or propane furnaces, to be relocated, perhaps under the new twin beds. This usually requires an experienced RV technician. Building twin bed risers and obtaining new twin mattresses and bedspreads isn't very challenging. Another alternative that may be simpler: some of our owners have put two 30" wide twin mattresses side by side on the 60" queen bed riser. Use two bottom sheets, with queen sized top sheet, blankets, and bedspread. The tossing and turning of one spouse on their own mattress is much less noticeable to the other spouse with separate mattresses.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #85
Neweller

A
361 7/17/2001 8:32:17 PM 7/19/2001 Otto Burleson otto@spinn.net Basement Air Elec Loads Amp load is approx 17 amps each of the 3 units. Is this a normal amp load? Units are cooling the entire coach within an acceptable range.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #86
Neweller

Q
362 7/18/2001 6:45:55 AM 7/19/2001 P. Craft-Willis pennyusers@aol.com What is a 1982 40' coach worth? We just purchased a 1983 Newell, excellent condition but as you say, interior needs updating. We got the dealer down to $55,000. and a new set of tires. We have 2 friends that also own Newell's,1975 and 1978 and from what we have been told, we got a really good deal. We have already had several interested buyers for a higher price although we do not want to sell. Also, at the time that we purchase this coach in March, the dealer had a nice looking 1980 model on the lot for $55,000. also. This is a dealer that Newell refers their customers to that are wanting to sell a used coach and has been selling used Newell's for several years. Guess we just got one good deal! Other info., mileage was low, no freezer, only 2 roof a/c's, 3 solar panels with inverter. Newell restored coach and installed new windows approx. 4 yrs. ago. No rear T.V., no front stereo. Excelllent awnings. Everything else sounds much the same as yours. 40 ft. Only downside found so far, engine smokes on startup and having problems find someone to run the rack on it. Best of luck. Also, if you find out anything regarding interior updates from Newell, e-mail me. Thanks.

P.S. We haven't pulled into an RV park yet that everyone doesn't come over to see the Newell and are amazed at the condition of it considering the age.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #87
Neweller

A
363 7/18/2001 7:19:38 AM 7/19/2001 P. Craft-Willis pennyusers@aol.com Sleeper Sofa Wanted How hard is it to find and order a sleeper sofa for a motor coach? Harder than you think! Hopefully I have been looking in all the wrong places. Help!
Info. needed on updating interior of a 1983 Newell. We recently purchased a Newell and although it came with nice leather recliners, it does not have a sofa. Locating another one has turned out to be a problem. I have looked in the camping catalogs and the only two cloth sofa's that they offered would not go with leather recliners. Local furniture outlets do not offer sleeper sofas that sleep "lengthwise." I have also contacted most of the smaller RV dealers in the SE Texas/SW Louisiana area, new or even used in excellent condition, they are of no help. Flexsteel has a web site and is a brand that makes sofas for coaches but you must order through their dealers such as CampingWorld, etc. Once again, the only RV and Camping catalogs that I have found to distribute their products do not offer a wide selection of sofa's. Any assistance with locating this product would be greatly appreciated. Vacation is coming up and we need the extra seating and sleeping space! Please help.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #88
Neweller

Q
364 7/18/2001 12:44:37 PM 7/19/2001 Clyde Moore Clydemor@cwnet.com Length & Year of Coach I do know that my 1967, 25 foot Newell is quite rare. I would like to know how many other 25 footers are out there. Most of the early ones were 31 foot.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #89
Neweller

A
365 7/18/2001 12:54:05 PM 7/19/2001 Clyde Moore clydemor@cwnet.com 1969Newell coach I contacted Onan/Cummins and had the factory store in Sacramento, Ca rebuild my Onan. They did a good job, and the thing runs very well, that and I don't have to put up with the new printed circut boards, like some of the newer ones have in them.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #90
Neweller

A
366 7/19/2001 11:46:48 AM 7/20/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Sleeper Sofa Wanted Newell can order a new Villa sleeper sofa for you built to the dimensions you specify. Call Newell service toll free at 1-888-3NEWELL if you'd like more information.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #91
Neweller

A
367 7/20/2001 1:15:19 PM 7/20/2001 clyde Moore clydemor@cwnet.com BRAKES The Master cylinder, at least on my 67 Newell, is located on the inside of the firewall, above the brake pedal. It is mounted vertical, with the rod going into the top. It is from a early C500 or C600 Ford truck. I recently found a re-build kit from the local brake shop. Fluid is put into the top o the cylinder, under a rubber flap. Push the brake pedal about 1/2 down and add the fluid.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #92
Neweller

A
368 7/20/2001 6:16:44 PM 7/21/2001 Mac McCormick macbeth@netvista.net !965 StreamLine Travel Car I hear this group is where to come when you need some info. Well I am restoring a 1965 Streamline Travel Car for one more trip! I am really after a front winshield, however I do have a list of other items. I have heard travel cars where built using Ford parts. Does anyone have any idea which Ford truck winshield fits mine, better yet do you know of one for sale. If you have a lead sure would be nice to hear from you.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #93
Neweller

Q
369 7/21/2001 6:08:51 AM 7/21/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com !965 StreamLine Travel Car Although many Ford parts were used in early Newells, the windshields were not Ford. However, we try to stock windshields for all vintages of Newells, and may have the right pieces for your Streamline. Call Newell parts at 1-888-3NEWELL and ask for Gerald Williams. Gerald is a 30 year veteran of the company and knows which windshields fit which old models.

While not a well known piece of trivia, the Newell is the direct descendant of the Streamline Travel Car. Built in the mid-60s by the Streamline trailer firm in El Monte, California, the Travel Car was a top-of-the-market motor home using the Ford one ton truck chassis. The body was aluminum just like Streamline trailers, as are Newells to this day. Mr. L.K. Newell purchased a new Travel Car in 1966. This led to conversations with the owner of Streamline, and fairly quickly to Mr. Newell buying the motor home portion of Streamline, moving the operation to Miami, Oklahoma in early 1967--presto, the Newell motor home was born. Mr. Newell soon began assembling his own chassis, largely from Ford parts initially.

More information is available on the Newell web site, www.newellcoach.com , under the link "Our History."

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #94
Neweller

." A
370 7/22/2001 6:30:00 AM 7/23/2001 James Franze jfranze@att.net Speedo Operation on a 78 Speedo has stopped indicating speed and milage accumilation. Is it cable driven or electronic? I'm not having any luck finding the cable drive on the transmission. Could it be driven from the front tires?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #95
Neweller

Q
371 7/22/2001 10:15:38 PM 7/23/2001 Gary W. Riley lifeoriley@arctic.net Anti-Spotting Solution Coat it with RainX from WalMart or similar store, two to three coats on and wipe off until it is not milky anymore looking at it from the inside. Then add separate RainX windshield washer fluid. Most of the time you will not use the windshield wipers or the fluid because the rain will sheet off by itself and the windshield wipers will only be needed at very slow speeds or a muddy road. They use it on small planes also. IT WORKS...and no I don't have a financial interest in RainX..I just know, I am an Alaskan and we get lots of rain...it's work to get it on the first time but it lasts a long time,the less you use your wipers the better. Enjoy!

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #96
Neweller

A
372 7/23/2001 11:13:18 AM 7/23/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Speedo Operation on a 78 The speedometers for Newells in the 1970s and early 1980s were driven through a small reduction drive located on the forward engine bulkhead, driver's side. You will see a speedo cable input and an output. Over time, these gears will wear out and strip. The Newell Service Department rebuilds the reduction drive for a flat charge of $100, parts and labor. If you would like to discuss this with our service department, please call 1-888-3NEWELL.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #97
Neweller

A
373 7/23/2001 6:56:38 PM 7/24/2001 P.Craft-Willis pennyusers@aol.com Sleeper Sofa Wanted I recently found out that Bradd & Hall is also a Flexsteel furniture outlet for Motorhomes, Motorcoaches, Marine, etc. You can log on to their web site at www.Braddandhall.com to order their furniture catalog and fabric samples. Also, thanks for the info on Newell ordering a Villa sofa.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #98
Neweller

A
374 7/23/2001 9:11:22 PM 7/24/2001 Bob Scott thescotts@proaxis.com Proper Tires? I have been doing a little research on Michelin tires. My 86 has a new set of tires. However they are all G rated. Most dealers including Michelin's web site do not list an H tire in the 11R24.5. Michelin does make a 16 ply tire, however it listed for off road, and can be used on the steering axel. I've looked at this tire and it is not bad looking. I believe that their letter designation for this tire is XZE. Has anyone had any personel experience running this tire on the front steering axel?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #99
Neweller

A
375 7/24/2001 3:57:22 PM 7/24/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Proper Tires? From your description of this as an off road tire, it may have a reduced maximum speed rating, perhaps 55 mph. If so, we would not recommend using it for operation at normal interstate speeds. In addition, your 1986 may be light enough to run load range G tires. According to Michelin, this tire will carry a maximum front axle weight of 12,860 lb. @ 100 psi. If your front axle weight exceeds 12,860 lb., you will need a load range H tire. You may wish to consider the Bridgestone R293. The load range H Bridgestone R293 is rated to carry a front axle weight of up to 14,060 lb. @ 120 psi.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #100
Neweller

A
376 7/28/2001 3:12:42 PM 7/31/2001 gary marshall gmcolorcat@webtv.net 1968 30' Newell I am looking at a 68 Newell 30 feet long in good condition. Any one know what this might be worth. Thanks gary

-Bob Marley