Ignition Fuel Valve Wiring Problem - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
wooflee90

Default Ignition Fuel Valve Wiring Problem

I've been having a few electrical issues with our 87 Newell (i.e. blinkers and defrosters apparently have a short). When I pulled the cover off the steering column to track the wires, I noticed a wire had burned through the plastic harness on the column.

There were two wires in the harness, and since I couldn't find another to replace it, I just added clips to the wires, and plugged them directly into the blades on the steering column.

However, the bus will not crank from the ignition now. It appears the wire that had burned was the ignition fuel valve wire (orange wire in the photos). When I turn the switch, the wire is hot, but the bus just turns over and sounds like it is not getting fuel now. I went to the emergency start at the back of the bus, and it fires right up. We just cannot crank from the ignition switch right now.

I tested the wire at the terminal board under the dash in front of the passenger seat, but the wire is not hot, whether the ignition switch is on or not.

I am assuming there must be a fuse in this line that blew, but I can't find a fuse and it's difficult to try to track this wire from the steering column across to the terminal board. However, I didn't have any problem cranking the bus until I reconnected the burned wire.

I was thinking of running a wire directly from the steering column blade to the terminal board (with fuse) to see if that allows the bus to crank from the ignition switch. If that works, I was just going to rerun the wire from the steering column to the terminal board. Does that sound reasonable?

Does anyone know if anything else pulls from this wire or if it is just the ignition fuel valve?

What size fuse would you recommend to put on my test wire?

Thanks,

Greg Lee
Extremely novice owner of 1987 Newell Classic Coach, 38'6"
Detroit Diesel 8V92TA, 475 HP, Allison 4-speed auto transmission, Perkins Diesel 18kw generator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161111_154039189.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	4729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161111_153852503.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	4730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161111_160945138.jpg
Views:	245