Tech Talk Archives 6 - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #21
Neweller

A
614 6/8/2002 7:22:49 AM 6/9/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 79 Newell solenoid panel The correct solonoid can be confirmed, and a new solonoid ordered, by calling the Newell Service Department at 1-888-3NEWELL (1-888-363-9355). Yes, we also recommend the somewhat more expensive but much more reliable continuous duty solonoids, particularly for the battery merge circuit. Keep in mind that the battery merge switch on the dash is wired for "off" in the center, and powers up using one bank of batteries in the up position, and the alternate bank of batteries in the down position.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #22
Neweller

A
616 6/8/2002 7:38:31 AM 6/9/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com solar power We suspect you are referring to the Kool-O-Matic attic fans on the roof. Anyone qualified to install solar power panels should be able to measure the amp draw when the fans are operating and size the solar system appropriately for this and whatever other loads you intend to run. Although solar power is an interesting, attractive concept, our experience is that is relatively expensive for the limited amount of current that it will generate, and therefore has not proven to be very popular. It has generally been installed on Newells to keep batteries properly charged in long-term outdoor storage lacking electrical hook-ups. Solar is a rather elegant solution to this situation.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #23
Neweller

A
617 6/8/2002 7:43:07 AM 6/9/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Shunt to measure house current The shunt for a Link battery monitor should be installed on the negative cable of the appropriate battery bank to be measured, not at the interior distribution panel. If the engine battery bank is to be measured, insure that any grounding straps on the engine at installed so as the connection to ground from this strap travels through the shunt before finding ground.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #24
Neweller

A
618 6/8/2002 7:50:36 AM 6/9/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Removal of old inverter As your message implies, the installation of a new, different inverter system is a somewhat complex project and is best handled be an experienced professional, as you suggest. The specifics need to be sorted out by the installer, particularly as many coaches have been modified through the years from their original confirgurations. The male plug you mention sound like it might lead to inverter powered components, and this should be confirmed by actual testing. The factory has often used a male plug to connect inverter loads to the inverter so that these loads can easily be connected directly to the 120 volt system, by-passing the inverter, should the inverter fail.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #25
Neweller

A
619 6/8/2002 7:27:26 PM 6/9/2002 Leon A. Goldstein metapsych@earthlink.net microwave toilet This may be of interest.
http://www.incinolet.com/aboutus.htm
They list a model for RV's. A
620 6/8/2002 7:59:25 PM 6/9/2002 Rich Farr toptin@aol.com 79 Newell solenoid panel Dear B. Johnston - Thanks - appreciate that info - It gives me something to check - Our coach does have a working cruise control. If you find out any additional - please share with us - It is therapy for me to work on coach.
We like to keep it in best possible condition.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #26
Neweller

A
611 6/7/2002 8:09:31 PM 6/8/2002 B. Johnston NMBJohnston@aol.com 79 Newell solenoid panel I just recently purchased a 35' model from the same year. I looked and found the labels you have mentioned in your e-mail. The one in that position says "cruise control". Unfortunately, I can't find a brand name or part numbers on the solenoids anywhere. I don't know much about motor home electronics so I'm afraid I can't give any more help at this time. My cruise control is not working; I may know more about this solenoid when I have it looked at later this summer.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #27
Neweller

A
612 6/8/2002 7:10:17 AM 6/9/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Overheating Yes, we have heard that installing a system to "mist" the radiator (perhaps at the push of a button) provides additional cooling for an intermittent overheating situation. We have had no direct experience. Further, the cooling system should be able to properly cool the engine and transmission (a trans temp of 200 is not normally a problem) without any add-on devices. But proper maintenance of the cooling system, particularly the radiator itself, is critical. We recommend that you first confirm that your radiator is clean. If there is a buildup of oily fluids and road film, the radiator should be carefully washed from the outside to the inside to knock off the crud, best accomplished with a car wash low pressure wand. It is also possible that road blast over the years has gradually knocked off the fins on the radiator tubes. This requires the radiator to be rebuilt or replaced.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #28
Neweller

A
624 6/10/2002 11:28:20 AM 6/12/2002 Dennis trishoreyachts@attcanada.net noisy transformer 87 trying to eliminate noise from bedroom transformer is noisy hard to sleep

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #29
Neweller

Q
625 6/11/2002 12:24:10 PM 6/12/2002 Bill Givens wildbill@comteck.com 1971 Cat 1160 I would like to know the Hp of this engine also the tranny that was originally put with this engine, any input?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #30
Neweller

Q
626 6/12/2002 9:02:04 AM 6/12/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Overheating A lot of car washes won't allow radiator cleaning (they think you are washing the engine) so I carry a small garden sprayer to presoak the radiator with hot soapy water or mineral spirits and than flush with a garden hose. To cure the road blast problem (bent fins) I installed hardware cloth under the engine to keep small stones from coming up trough the fan. This is a must modification if you plan on visiting Alaska. For me a 200 degree transmission temperature is fine and IAW Allison and Detroit Diesel reps. guidance. I have used the cooling system you mentioned, but I have not installed it on my '87. They were developed by bus companys who had to climb the Baker grade to Las Vegas in the summer. You can purchase the unit through ads in Bus Conversions Magazine or make one your self using a Rain Bird sprinkler solenoid (12 volts will operate the 24v solenoid) and some hardware store mister's. If you need more info E-mail me.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #31
Neweller

A
627 6/12/2002 9:18:20 AM 6/12/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com jake brake I have had to repair my Jake three times and in each case the problem was electrical rather than mechanical. Have someone activate the switch (key on, engine off) while you put your ear close to the valve covers (no background noise) If you here the slight click of a solenoid activating inside the valve cover (you may need your wife to do this if your hearing is bad like mine) than you need to take it to a shop because the solenoids are working. If no click, start trouble shooting the 12V wire that comes from the dash to the engine. In one case it was broken where it entered the valve cover, in another it was the switch that was located on the transmission, and in the third it was the idle switch on the throttle linkage, (which must be activated before the jake will work).

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #32
Neweller

A
628 6/12/2002 10:05:17 AM 6/12/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com solar power I use a solar/inverter system on my '87 Newell and like Newell's reply, it is expensive. I suggest that rather than a solar generator on the top of your two fans, you install a full size panel (+-100 watts)with a controller to charge your batteries. That way when the sun is at its highest you are gaining amps, to make up for what was lost in the late afternoon or evening. In my case I have four panels with a 20 amp total charging capacity at high noon and a large battery bank that significanly reduces my genset requirements while in "quiet" areas. A lot of people don't realize that if you use a propane refrigerator you are consuming amps to keep the 12v solenoid open, which along with other phantom amperage users will drain your batteries over time. If you are "dry" camping be sure to check that your merge and air solenoids are actually off (not warm to the touch), as they will do a job on your battery along with the propane shutoff solenoid found on some units and the humidity controller on Dometic refrigerators.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #33
Neweller

A
629 6/12/2002 10:13:34 AM 6/12/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Elec Box in Bedroom Closet Are the electrical boxes you are talking about gray with rounded sides and about the size of a camera. If so, you may be looking at a relay that is being used to control a water heater, engine heat, etc. Turn off all the small 12v switches you can find, such as inverter, water heater, engine heat etc. and I think the himming will stop, than turn them back on one at a time to until you find the culprit that makes it hum.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #34
Neweller

A
621 6/8/2002 9:06:22 PM 6/9/2002 Vince Lee leevm@prodigy.net Used Checklist Can anyone suggest what are the most important mechanical things to check when evaluating for purchase a used 1980, 40-ft. Newell coach with a Cummins diesel engine and a diesel generator (don't know what brand)? It has 3 Coleman rooftop A/C units and a Norcold refrigerator. I'm new to this and want the quality of a Newell but don't know what to check for. Thanks for ANY advice for the new guy!!! --Vince

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #35
Neweller

Q
622 6/9/2002 6:15:55 PM 6/10/2002 Bill Givens wildbill@comteck.com owners maual 1971 diesel pusher I am a proud owner of a 71' 38footer diesel pusher and would like info on how to obtain a service/ owners manual, can anyone respond with helpful input?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #36
Neweller

Q
623 6/10/2002 7:37:29 AM 6/10/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com owners maual 1971 diesel pusher The documentation furnished with the coaches has always included the manuals that came with the individual components (engine, transmission, generator, audio system, microwave oven, etc.), but no separate Newell Owner's Manual existed before the mid-1980s. The only service manuals available would be associated, once again, with the individual components. However, after over 30 years, it would be difficult to locate any of them.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #37
Neweller

Default Blank Back Filler #17

A
629 6/12/2002 10:13:34 AM 6/12/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Elec Box in Bedroom Closet Are the electrical boxes you are talking about gray with rounded sides and about the size of a camera. If so, you may be looking at a relay that is being used to control a water heater, engine heat, etc. Turn off all the small 12v switches you can find, such as inverter, water heater, engine heat etc. and I think the himming will stop, than turn them back on one at a time to until you find the culprit that makes it hum.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #38
Neweller

A
630 6/13/2002 4:15:03 AM 6/18/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com noisy transformer I had the same problem on my 79 and my 87. The converter on my Newells were a large siver box about the size of two toasters placed end to end and made a humming noise 24/7. These things are 'old' technology and tend to be hard on battery banks because of their taper type charging. I suggest replacing it with a three stage charger/inverter (bulk, acceptance, float). There are a number of brands and units available to match your budget, most of which are owned by Xantrex of Vancouver BC. (Trace, Heart, Statpower etc.). If you are willing to spend the bucks, I think the pure sinewave statpower inverter/charger is the best, but I have had good luck with Heart and Trace also. Go to www.xantrex.com for more info.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #39
Neweller

a
631 6/13/2002 5:46:29 pm 6/18/2002 ken mccarlk@rogers.com need color tracer wire!!!!! Can any body tell me were to get wire with the tracer colors , rewireing my 84 burn

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #40
Neweller

Q
632 6/13/2002 8:38:42 PM 6/18/2002 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net 1980 Newell Coach Proud new owner of 1980 Newell coach, I have been told that I should be using synthetic oil in the engine?

Any owners manual fo rthe 1980 Coach?

Would anyone have a wiring digram for this coach?

thanking everyone in advance.
Kelly Scott

-Bob Marley