New starting & house batteries - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 AM   #1
Bob Fetters

Default New starting & house batteries

Has anyone tried Rolls or Surette brand 8D batteries? I was wondering it they were as good as their high price would imply. Our house batteries are starting to not hold a charge and a change is due.

Bob Fetters

Bob Fetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Bob Fetters

Update: Newell Factory informs me they are now using Concord Lifeline batteries. These are Acid Glass Mat (AGM) technology batteries. They are about 20 lbs. lighter than Rolls and sealed pressure vented as opposed to the pressure caps used with Rolls. I have yet to compare the recharge rates and cycle life data of each or the costs over battery life. After I satisify my Pavlovian need to know and understand, I am sure I will follow Newell Factory's lead. They always do it with the best available.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #3
fulltiming

I replaced my house batteries (2-8D's) with Concord Lifeline batteries about 7 months ago. They are expensive but I have been well pleased and certainly don't miss not having to check the water level every two to three weeks.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:31 AM   #4
Bob Fetters

Michael; Thanks for the info. Our '93 (#328) came to us with 4 NAPA 8D's almost 3 years ago. Over the some 10,000 miles we have added to the odometer (now 47,000) I have learned to manage the charging much better. At first, I thought both the house and starting batteries were charged off the vehicle alternator. I was surprised to find that running house DC while in motion actually ran the house batteries down. Now I either run the generator or merge the batteries off and on while traveling if I need 12v house power. My first clue that things were not well with the house batteries was when the alternator output voltage would take a drop when I merged the batteries. Then, one of the house batteries began to boil water on charging while the other maintained water, but had low speific gravity. It is clearly time to replace.
I have found the following 8D prices each: Rolls series 3000 $468.98 plus freight, 20hr 230ah, CCA 1134, Reserve 361, weight 158#; Rolls series 4000 8DM $569.03 plus freight, 20hr 221ah, CCA 1050, Reserve 487, weight 164#; Rolls series 4000 12hme8DM $682.54 plus freight, 20hr 275ah, CCA 1155, Reserve 557, weight 172#; Concorde Lifeline GPL 8DA $379.99 plus $50 freight (1st source) $519.39 plus freight (2nd source) $595.00 plus $150 freight 3rd source, 20hr 255ah, CCA 1350, Reserve 475, weight 162#.
It would seem the Lifeline can out perform the Rolls in starting use and is clearly equal or better for deep cycle high capacity use.
How do the prices I found compare with what you had to pay? Shall I look for a better source?

Thanks! Bob
Old 08-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
karlb

At Newell we believe that the overall best batteries currently available for private motorcoach use are Concord Lifeline AGM (absorbed glass mat). Newell made them standard equipment on the house side perhaps three years ago and for consistency, included them to the engine system a few months ago. AGM batteries are maintenance free and long-lived. The only disadvantages we have seen so far is that 1) they are expensive and 2) they are easy to find when replacements are needed. However, replacements should seldom be an issue.

A second, little-known product, PulseTech PowerPulse, extends battery life and may well be a bigger advance in battery life than AGM batteries. The PowerPulse is an electronic device that pulses charging current in a manner that slows down and even reverses sulfation on the battery plates, the major determinate of battery life. The PowerPulse, slightly larger than a package of cigarettes, wires easily into the battery leads. A typical bank of Newell batteries requires, as I recall, two PowerPulse units at a cost of slightly over $100. The PowerPulse units can be used with either lead-acid or AGM batteries.

We were introduced to the PowerPulse product by a customer who began using them for the generator start batteries on his fleet of refrigerated semi-trailers. These batteries previously had about a two-year replacement cycle; with PowerPulse, these batteries are lasting at least until the trailers are traded for new ones, about five years. The PowerPulse technology was originally developed for the military.

Newell began installing PowerPulse at about the same time we upgraded to AGM batteries. After about three years, we have yet to see any routine battery replacements required for coaches so equipped. However, with our previous lead acid batteries and no PowerPulse, we would already be seeing routine battery replacements. We are optimistic that we will see battery life of five years or quite possibly substantially more.

We recommend PowerPulse units be retrofitted regardless of coach age and whether the coach has lead acid or AGM batteries. For owners of coaches who do not mind the maintenance, PowerPulse technology combined with lead acid batteries is a very economical solution to enhanced battery performance with long battery life. If the expense is acceptable, PowerPulse plus Concord Lifeline AGM batteries is the ultimate package.

PulseTech PowerPulse units are available for retrofit from the Newell service department (1-888-3NEWELL), either installed by Newell technicians or with instructions for field installation.
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Bob Fetters

Once again, the Newell factory comes through with the answers. Simply the best coach built with after the sale support unequaled anywhere in the industry.

Thanks Karl.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
Newell Nut

Some really great information here. One can always appreciate great advice and information. Wow! this website is a great find and nicely layed out. I can't believe the great gallery of Newell's they have here. I will be adding mine soon.

Keep up the great work!