Slide out problem with seal sticking out!! Help! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Default Slide out problem with seal sticking out!! Help!

Hello,
Deove to the 4 day event and we slided out two slides and next day getting to one of the bays I noticed that the big rubber seal came out about 30% of it ouside with the slide and its hanging about 2" below where slide meets the coach body!

Looks like we have big problem! I called Neweel and they say to diflate the hydrulic pumps and try to push it back by hands! There si no way to do it since there is very little space in between! Other choice is to get somone with jack pump and lift it up quater inch and try it again!

Is nayone had the same problem with the front slide ! Its on 2001 2 slide Newell with hydraulic slide system.

We are at the dog show 4 days so no rush but I need to figure out what to do next ? I wish I knew that before to spray or wax the area so do not get sticky! lerned $$ lesson!

Best,
Les

leskorcala@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
afrench45

Same exact thing is happening on my coach right now!!! I pulled the coach up and lifted the slide with a forklift, sprayed the seal with windex and it slid back into place. However I put the slide back out a few minutes later and the seal popped right back out. So did the process again but made sure the seal snapped into its place. Hopefully its fixed now.
I would suggest to soak the seal in windex then try to put it in. I also waxed the underside of the glide out.

afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Tom,
Thanks for quick respond!
I belive is the weather! we had not used our coach for about 2 months and now its cold outsite !
Want to ask you waht type fork lift did you used ?

Was it same type like they use in say hom depot or any bigger stores etc?

Best,
Les
Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #4
afrench45

Les,
I just used a forklift I had at my shop, as shown in the pic below. I think if you could figure out how to use bottle jacks they would work too. Ive never had problems with my seals until about a month ago when I put the slide out in my shop and noticed the seal was out. Hopefully it will stay in and save me a trip to Miami!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1295  
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
tuga

My guess is that the gasket has come unglued from the coach. I had that happen and I brought it to Newell. They re-glued it and that was the end of the problem.

This happened in August 2010 on my way back from Alaska. I don't think that it has anything to do with the cold weather.

TIP: When you are going to run the slideroom out, after you deflate the gasket. Go outside and look at the gasket. Is it fullly deflated? If not, that may be your problem.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
encantotom

how is the gasket in the slide? i have the receipt where newell changed my bedroom air seal a few years ago. it said they took all the things out of there on the inside to do it. the seal is glued to the inside frame?

why would it be so hard that you have to go all the way to newell to take care of? what am i missing?

thanks

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
tuga

Tom,

The gasket sits in the frame of the opening that was cut out of the coach. And it is glued to the frame all around.

I went to Newell because I was returning from Alaska and it was on my way home.

I'll try to post a picture. Well that was the wrong picture!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TUGA 007.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1296  
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 12-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
prairieschooner

This could be dangerous but couldn't someone use say a house jack to lift the slide? I really hesitate to suggest using the leveling system but ours are manual and yours are most likely automatic. I say a house jack or two to help get access but I am only putting my 2 cents worth in and have no 1st hand knowledge.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
davidmbrady

I've attached a pic of the seal used by Newell. The seal is made by Seal Masters and consists of two parts, the air seal (S-1) and the retainer. You can see in in the attachment how S-1 has a foot which snaps into the retainer. The retainer is glued to the coach body. I've been told that many times the air seal will fall out of the retainer groove. Newell applies an adhesive to this groove to help retain the seal. Don't ask how I know all this. LOL! Seriously though, I need a second source air seal supplier for the slide in my LXi wanderlodge, so I've spent a great deal of time investigating what's being used by the various motorhome vendors including Newell. Hope this helps.

David Brady
'02 Blue Bird Wanderlodge LXi
NC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	S-1_SealWithRetainer.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1301  
davidmbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
tuga

David,

Thanks for the picture and the explanation. The picture explains it clearly.

Did you ever find a seal for your Wanderlodge?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 12-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
rheavn

Les,
I too have experienced the slide seal "sticking" to the slide surface on very cold mornings. When I start the slide in and I hear the "sound of the seal sticking" I stop retracting, wait a few seconds and then continue. It is like the stopping allows the seal to unstick. This process has worked for me.

I can only attribute the "sticking to the cold as that is the only time it happens and I have waxed the surfaces to as slick as I can. I have also looked to make sure the seal has uninflated.

Any one else experience this?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuga View Post
David,

Thanks for the picture and the explanation. The picture explains it clearly.

Did you ever find a seal for your Wanderlodge?
Hi Tuga,

Great to hear from you. I did find a seal for my Wanderlodge. I thought I could adapt the Newell seal but it turns out that it doesn't expand enough for my needs so I had a seal custom extruded by a company named Dynamic Rubber Inc: http://www.dynamicrubber.com/?gclid=...FQjd4AodODANSw

Roger Anderson at DRI was excellent. He really spent the time and effort to get things right. I just took delivery of the first prototype seal this past week. I haven't installed it yet, but on my test bench it looks great.

If anyone is looking for a second source, I highly recommend DRI.

David Brady
'02 Blue Bird, Wanderlodge LXi,
NC
davidmbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
lbrachfe

Best way I have found to keep the seal from sticking is baby powder after a good cleaning with windex and thoroughly drying. Have done this on four coaches over the years and find it works well and leaves no mess. It's very easy to apply with by just dusting the exposed seal from the outside and it is so fine that it makes it's way all around where lubes and sprays can't.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
rheavn

Thanks Larry,
Up to now I've never used anything, but I'm starting to think some baby powder is a good idea! The only reason I haven't is the seal is covered in paint from when the coach was originally painted. Very slowly the paint is peeling & breaking off.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #15
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Okay! so the slide and the seal is in!
Newell found us service person here in Northwest ! two gusy showed up on saturday ready to work! they did fallow the Newell instructions how work on it!
They used big jack to loif the front slide and using it somhow bend the arm under the floor ( the arm lifts the floor ) so after 2,5 hrs seal back in with not much of the problem, they had to fallow more instructions where to find that bend arm! it was under one of the bay , they pull the part out used special bending tool fixed no problem , it took another 2 hrs to put all together ! guys were very good and did exelent job , did 5-6 times test pulls of the slide in and out ! and its working just fine!
They too belive it did happen to the very cold weather , seal just got sticky! they used windex and soppy water and spry all over the seals1

We also had our Amana Fridg just stoped working ! same weekend, lights on , compressor on but warm temps ! since they had no platform with wheels to rolled the fridge out , they could not service it for us! they belive it needs freon!

Very glad we got thie problem fixed , 4,5hrs and 425$ not bad ! but we learnd lesson to watch for the seal next time !

Thanks you all for the great input ! with oust thsi forum and Newell help it would be super hard to get it done the right way!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
Richard and Rhonda

Les,

I have to put gas in my fridge from time to time. I use a piece of 3/4 plywood that I lay on three 4X4 timbers. That places the platform at just the right height for my setup. You want the platform to be a little high if it's on carpet because it will sink when the weight of the fridge hits hit. If your galley is granite then set it up flush. I would suggest you cover the edge of the formica at the bottom with heavy tape to keep from chipping the laminate.

Before you roll it out, take off the front grill cover and make sure that the underside is not all clogged up with dust. Household fridges have a problem with dust, but I find the one in the coach gets dirty much faster.

There is a sticker on the inside of the fridge that tells you EXACTLY how much gas it holds. I would assume yours is 134a from the age of your coach.

Call me if you have any problems. 817 too too 3 twenty fifty six
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:02 AM   #17
leskorcala@hotmail.com

richard,
Thanks you so much for some great tips on the fridge!
We are hoping its need freon ( you mentioned gas ) I am asumming its same stuff! steping up from 26' RV and everything is so big and house size just more complex I should say!

Great tips with the building platform , We have granit in front of it so 4x4 should work just fine! we have amana brand ( have to check the sticker inside for the amount of gas needs )
I do have a question since I never refeel it before ! its seems like in teh AC usint in the car to refeel freon need to be service at the shop since they use special pump to get just right amount of gas in there!

Is the fridge procedure is much simpler? how do you do it if you dont mind to ask you? do you buy is on liquid bottle etc.?
Would love to do it myself to learn better about my coach and of course save the money!

Our house is still on the market for sale here in WA. cant wait to hit the road as soon as we sell it!

Best,
Les
Old 12-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #18
Barry Rooker

I've had a few issues with sticking seals and after a slide has sat in or out for more than a week or so I always try to deflate the seal, then run a 12" plastic ruler underneath the seal.

This breaks the seal loose from the slide. The problem is always on the slide's underside, not the top or sides.
Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #19
Richard and Rhonda

Les,

Refilling the gas, refrigerant, in the refrigerator is NOT as simple as adding gas to an automobile AC. First, the fridge comes with a sealed system from the factory. There is no fitting to attach the gauges to. A fitting has to be soldered into the low pressure side of the system. Second, once the fitting is installed, the system must be attached to a vacuum pump and left under vacuum for at least an hour. Any water or moisture in the system is a disaster. And finally the gas must be weighed into the system. Guessing at it just using the pressures is not the best way to do it. Finally, although the fridge uses 134a and car AC units use 134a, the two systems operate at very different pressures. For example, the low side for a car system will typically be between 20 and 35 psi, the low side for a refrigerator will usually be between 4 and 6 psi. I pulled those numbers from memory, but they are close. If you overfill a fridge with gas it will not get cold enough. If you underfill a car system it will freeze. The fittings on a car system are not compatible with the fittings on house AC or refrigerators on purpose to prevent someone from using car equipement to work on household systems.

This is not a do it yourself job if you do not have some experience with refrigeration systems. I learned to work on the systems because I was curious. It helped that the theory I learned in Chem Eng classes was very useful when I took the test for the refrigeration license.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #20
prairieschooner

Before replacing the refrigerator you should start with some basics. All it does is exchange heat. I suggest that you start by cleaning the Coils or Condensor in the Rear of the Refrigerator. You should also make sure that the Fan comes on if there is one. Here is a link that may help;
http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Refrigerator-Coils

If this didn't help and it is a standard home style refrigerator you may simply be able to get someone to come by and service the unit. This would be much easier than going through the learning curve and having to buy all of the equipment.
I as well have most of the stuff for charging our cars but I have been working with Refrigeration for more years than I would like to admit. When my Refrigerator starting having trouble I simply replaced it.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote