what to look for - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
prarieschooner

Default what to look for

I will be going out to make the final arrangements for the 1982 38' Classic this weekend. I will be withdrawing Oil Samples from the Main, Transmission and AC Generator and the Coolant from the Main and AC Generator for Lab Analysis. I expect to get a good look at the Water Pump, Belts and Hoses as well as looking for Leakage. The Coach has a 6V92 Detroit with Alison Trans, I am not sure about the AC Generator but thinking that it was Westerbeke (I will be sure after the next visit when I get the Model and Serial Numbers).
My question is if there is anything else that I should get a good look at or pay special attention to? I know that the Air Ride has problems but I will post those questions at that forum.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

*As a note for those who may not know, some Heavy Equipment Repair Businesses offer these Lab Results or "SOS" as part of a Scheduled Maintenance. I feel that it is best to do this in conjunction with Oil Changes as a way to help track Wear or other Potential Problems. I use Johnson Caterpillar in Riverside, CA because they are close to me and get the results back quickly. Cost for this service from them is $12.00 each when purchased 10 at a time and turn around is 3-5 days.

prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

I highly recommend taking a ghetto creeper (cardboard) and snooping around underneath with a good flashlight. Looking in particular for leaks, the condition of greased joints, frayed hoses, and checking the condition of the front suspension components. Look at the hubs to check for proper lube level.

You know to look at the date on the tires. Clark had a little bit of an issue with that I think.

Cycle the different AC units and the heating units to check on their operation.

Look for obvious signs of water ingress at windows and also around the shower.

Get on the roof. Look.

Check all your voltages when running the generator. Also check your battery voltages when running the main engine.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
chockwald

Are you replacing the batteries, or are they serviceable? Like Richard said, check date of manufacture on tires. If it's been sitting for a few years, and inflation hasn't been maintained you could have issues, even if the tires are only a few years old. If they are 5, or more years old, it's best just to replace them as it then becomes an issue of when, not if a tire will blow out at speed, which happened to me (left front at 60mph).

Being sure the suspension and air brake systems hold air, especialy the brakes is very important to even drive a short distance. If you can't maintain air pressure for the brakes the rears will lock up and you will be stuck wherever you are stopped.

I think Richard covered the most important stuff....he's a wizard on suspension!

I've got the 6V92 also....great engine!

Keep us posted.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
tuga

If you look around under the coach be sure to put supports to keep the coach from falling on you if there is a sudden loss of air. Oak wooden blocks work great and are cheap. I care 6 or 8 on board all the time in case I have to get under the coach.

NEVER GET UNDER A COACH WITHOUT BLOCKING IT UP WITH JACK STANDS OR SOMETHING TO KEEP IT FROM FALLING ON YOU.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
prarieschooner

Good Advice! I will print this page and take it with me. My trip has been postponed a few days because I took some assignments and need the extra money for the repairs. This Coach has been sitting for at least 5 years and I will need to get some things up to speed.
The Tires are older with some Weather Checks showing up on the sidewalls, I plan to replace them ASAP. For now I would change the Steer Tires (front) so that I can get the Coach here to work on it. The Drive Tires will be replaced as funds allow but prior to any Trips.
I am sure that the Batteries are shot. My plan would be to replace the Starting Batteries for the Main and Generator and then make the trip home. The House Batteries can wait until the Coach is ready to use. The last I looked at it the AC Shore Power Cord was in poor condition and will require immediate replacement to get the AC System working properly and safely. I will take a good evaluation of the Charging Systems.
I am most concerned about the Air Ride Suspension, this was not working when the Coach was parked. I am going to post my questions regarding the Suspension at that forum but I feel I must correct this before I move it.
Thanks again for the advice,
Steve
prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote