wont shift from N - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
paultracy3

Default wont shift from N

have a 99 newell with a 6 speed allison drove it 300 miles the other day to co camping in the sand dunes . parked for 3 days , fired the bus up to leave and it would not shift from neutral into drive or reverse . messed around for 6 hours checking for codes , unpluging the allison brain , check this sensor that sensor . nothing . got a guy to pull me with a 4x4 to get the bus closer to the main road , i had the bus engine running so i had power steering , we were rolling about 2-3 mph as he pulled me and i hit the drive key on the pad and it went in gear . i said holly crap it fixed itself , i went back to neutral and again it would not go back into gear . pulled the coach again and it went into gear , then i checked if it would go in reverse without going to neutral first and it did . i went for it and drove home 300 miles no problem with the tranny but never put it in neutral . got the bus back in my storage , put it in neutral again and it would not shift into gear again ... any thoughts on this please help

paultracy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Summersgal

Default Won't shift

paultracy3,

I once sat in my driveway for an hour trying to get mine to shift, it would not go in forward or reverse. I found the fast idle switch was in the up position.

Jeff

Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
paultracy3

fast idle was not in the up position . in fact i flipped it on and off multiple times to see if the switch was the problem
Old 12-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
prairieschooner

Since I don't have that switch on our '82 I am just suggesting here. If the High Idle Switch can override the Shifting you may consider proving the Switch with a Ohm Meter, if it is OK and Energizes a Relay, check the Relay.
just a thought
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
afrench45

When I had my Prevost, I had this problem. I had to call out Allison because I didnt know what else to do. They unplug all those wires (I'm guessing thats the brain) and then it'd work fine. I had to do this quite often.
Goodluck fixin it! I'm curious to know what the problem is.
Andrew
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Ron Skeen

What RPM is the engine turning when you are trying to put in gear? Mine will not shift at anything over 6-700 RPM. You can adjust the engine idle with the wheel on the board at passenger seat. Idle speed sometime varies under different temp circumstances. Call allison hot line for further info. Have a great Day!
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
jwe648

Default Try

You maynt to take a look at the tranny connections.. Dirty or bad connections/grounds will confuse it's brains...
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
HoosierDaddy

WILD GUESS....If the RPM's were in spec I'm wondering if the RPM sensor was sending an artificially high signal compared to vehicle speed thus not allowing a shift command to be performed with the switch. It seems to me that the 'puter would compare the engine speed with vehicle speed before preforming any command. Once it sensed speed (while being towed) it obeyed the command from the switch.
I too will be very curious to know what you find out.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
paultracy3

had a guy out from allison today and he plugged into a port with his scanner , no codes , no bad sensors , he was scratching his head . said he will talk with some tranny experts over the weekend
Old 12-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
paultracy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
WILD GUESS....If the RPM's were in spec I'm wondering if the RPM sensor was sending an artificially high signal compared to vehicle speed thus not allowing a shift command to be performed with the switch. It seems to me that the 'puter would compare the engine speed with vehicle speed before preforming any command. Once it sensed speed (while being towed) it obeyed the command from the switch.
I too will be very curious to know what you find out.
engine rpm on the tack is between 5-600 . on the computer scanner it read 560 rpm
Old 12-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
prairieschooner

I love it, Mechanic travels to troubleshoot the problem. He plugs in a Scanner and sees no Trouble Codes so he is now Dumbfounded! but I am sure that the clock is still running!
I had a very similar problem with a '06 F250 6.0 Diesel. The truck wouldn't run properly at Altitude (we live at 6,500'). First thing that the Service Manager at the local dealership asked was "how often are you at that altitude?" I simply stated every day, I live there. He then asked if there were any "Check Engine Lights" when I answered no, he then stated "How do you expect me to repair it then".
I am only reporting a previous experience to let you know that I understand any frustrations that you have. You may consider using an independent mechanic. With Yachts these guys are usually much more of a "hands on" guy and usually more experienced.
Good Luck!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
folivier

"How do you expect me to repair it then"

Love it! Where are all of the "shade-tree" mechanics? I've gotten where I won't buy a new car, but try and find one of the certified ones with a warranty. And I won't buy top-line models either. Too much stuff to break and not every component has a check engine light.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
Wally Arntzen

On my 88 I had a similar problem in Arizona a couple of years ago. I don't know if the If 99's have air oporated shifting on the transmissions or electronic.
My is air operated and there is an air shift pistion on the passenger side of the transmission that moves forward and backward depending what shift number you put it in and that will move as you change it at your shift handle or switch.
That piston got dry on mine and would not move. I was informed by my friend who is a bus mechanic wizard to get under and squirt it with WD40 or another loosening lubricant and it released it immeadiatly.
If you have the air operated switch make sure that you have the coach brake on when you go under and do this. Better yet turn off the engine and do it because you can move the piston back and forth without it running.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
paultracy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Arntzen View Post
On my 88 I had a similar problem in Arizona a couple of years ago. I don't know if the If 99's have air oporated shifting on the transmissions or electronic.
My is air operated and there is an air shift pistion on the passenger side of the transmission that moves forward and backward depending what shift number you put it in and that will move as you change it at your shift handle or switch.
That piston got dry on mine and would not move. I was informed by my friend who is a bus mechanic wizard to get under and squirt it with WD40 or another loosening lubricant and it released it immeadiatly.
If you have the air operated switch make sure that you have the coach brake on when you go under and do this. Better yet turn off the engine and do it because you can move the piston back and forth without it running.
its electric. trans ecu is a allison wtec 2 b500 model
Old 12-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Mikeh

Does your coach have a slide?
Mikeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #16
prairieschooner

that makes sense, if the slide didn't trigger that it was in the coach wouldn't allow itself to go into gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #17
Mikeh

Now ya talkin.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #18
paultracy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
that makes sense, if the slide didn't trigger that it was in the coach wouldn't allow itself to go into gear.
nope tried it ,
Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
rheavn

The only other thing that I know of that keeps me from putting the coach in gear is if I don't disengage the parking brake. You are disengaging the parking brake obviously as you can pull the coach, but I question whether the sensor is recognizing it. Once you slowly move the coach the sensor then recognizes the parking brake is off and allows you to put the trans in gear. Or when you disengage your parking brake it is hanging up slightly until you move the coach and it completely disengages.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #20
Mikeh

Paul
Do you have a toggle switch underneath the left console to disable the slide sensor? I don't know about yours but mine has one. This allows you to move with the slides out in case you need to creep forward to level the coach. Mike