What's that switch? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
HoosierDaddy

Question What's that switch?

I found a toggle switch inside the cabinet above the sink. I can't detect any kind of response when I activate it. The wires seem to run into the void behind the ceiling cove. Anybody got an idea what it is?

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
encantotom

hey, i actually know that one. it is your alarm switch.

you have a key slot on the bay door next to your entry door.

here is the explaination i got from michael on how it works....

"The alarm system has two circuits. There is a panic switch in the bedroom that activates the alarm regardless of any thing else. A relay is activated that honks the electric horns (rather than the air horns). The second alarm circuit is activated by turning on a toggle switch (usually located in an overhead cabinet near the entry door) AND turn on the key switch on the bay door. The relays are inside the bay with the switch. If you are leaving the coach and want to arm the alarm (it only activates when someone opens the entry door), you turn on the toggle switch, leave the coach, close the door, turn the key in the switch on the bay door and the system will start honking the electric horns off and on if the door is opened. To disarm the alarm, turn the key to the off position outside and go in then turn off the toggle switch. If you want it armed when you are inside, reverse the process. Make sure the toggle is off, turn on the key switch, close the door, then turn the toggle switch on. There are no warning lights to let you know it is armed so it would be easy to activate it by mistake when you were inside"

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Wally Arntzen

I have the same set up in my 88 but I do have a small red light on the side of my upper cabinet above the entry door that goes on when activating the alarm.

The system works well if you choose to use it.

Wally
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
chockwald

Does anyone know if this alarm (I have one in my '82, also) turns off after 5 minutes (or so) like car alarms, or will it keep going until you physically turn it off?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
fulltiming

I considered putting an LED on the cabinet and a flashing LED outside wired through a relay to 'remind' me. I don't use it often but it certainly will get your attention if you forget to disarm it and open the door.

My wife likes having the panic switch in the bedroom.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
JohnC

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockwald View Post
Does anyone know if this alarm (I have one in my '82, also) turns off after 5 minutes (or so) like car alarms, or will it keep going until you physically turn it off?
It will keep going until you, or your neighbors, take action.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #7
fulltiming

Thanks John.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
zcasa

Ok, so got back from the mini-rally last week and the hot water switch wouldn't turn off as usual. Finally, after much prodding, I was able to get it to the off position but now it won't move. So, it is by all the switches above the sink by the microwave. Are these kinds of switches readily available at like NAPA or do I order from Newell? Also, do I just take the panel off and find how to remove the stuck switch? I guess I better turn off power?

Thanks

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
fulltiming

The switches are available although the ones at NAPA would not be an exact match. It is a 120/240 volt red lighted switch. Electronics stores such as MarVac carry them and they can be ordered online. Tom likely has a source for them. Yes, you can remove the panel screws with torx driver. Turning the power off is always a good idea but not absolutely necessary if you are careful and recognize that there are live wires up there.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
zcasa

Thanks, Michael. Tom is checking and I'll have to get a new tool it sounds like. Torx driver? Never heard of it, but I'll get one.

Have a good day.
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
fulltiming

Torx head screws are getting more popular. They are a 6 sided star shaped indention in the screw head. Torx bits come in a variety of sizes. I am not certain that your coach uses them but I have hundreds of them on my coach. Most of mine are T20's. I have a reasonably full set of Torx bits with driver attachments from T8 to T48 and a few larger torx sockets for my 1/2" rachet.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 05-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
tuga

If anyone ever needs to change a starting solenoid on a series 60 DD you will need a torx socket. I bought a set of them and they really come in handy.

Funny story about the panic alarm system on a Newell. My son-in-law was using my '93 Newell to travel with his family to N. Louisiana. My middle grandson and the youngest grandson were playing in the bedroom while my daughter and son-in-law were in front driving down the highway. All of a sudden the horns start blowing on/off. My son-in-law pulls over and starts looking for the circuit breaker/fuse to stop the horns from blowing. After 10 minutes of looking (he's not familiar with Newells) he calls me on the cell phone and says "How can I stop this damn horn from blowing?"

I told him to walk back to the bedroom and turn off the PANIC button next to the bed. He soon figured out who done it!

We all had a good laugh about it later that week.

Moral of story: if a family member uses your coach, show them where the panic button is!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote