Fuel Tank Flushing - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
jimbo

Default Fuel Tank Flushing

I examined a used newell coach this morning and the man who's selling it mentioned if I buy it he would recommend removing the fuel tank and cleaning it out. Is this something that is done occasionally? What would be in it besides diesel? Or do you skip the flushing process? Thanks Jimbo.

Prevost, Newell Coach, Wanderlodge, Foretravel, Millennium Coach, Liberty Coach, Outlaw Coach, Marathon Coach, Luxury Coach

jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
fulltiming

I wonder if the diesel is old or if he has gotten some wet or dirty diesel? Open the fuel tank drains, hold a plastic cup under it and see what comes out. Rust, water and debris are not good in the tank. I have cleaned by tanks once. I drained as much junk as I could get from the tank drains, then had a marine company come to my site (I was in Newport Beach, CA at the time) and pump my fuel through a multistage filtering system. The fuel was reasonably fresh but I had gotten a tank of diesel that must have been from the bottom of their tank based on the amount of debris it put into my system. I was having to change fuel filters every few hundred miles.

That was the only time I have had a problem. Last time I opened the drain valves on the fuel tanks, everything looked good.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
NewellCrazy

Algea, acid, and sludge; all formed by sitting diesel and the condensation of a partially full tank. If the coach has been parked for a long time , draining and flushing might save you agony and money on filters if u do it. I have never had a fuel problem, but some have. I change primary and secondary filters once a year, need it or not, and add algecide if the bus is going to sit for a couple of months, but that doesn't happen often. Someone who has experienced a problem could probably give u more insight on how to go about cleaning out a tank.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote