Side door cracking. - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
Bro. Dilly

Default Side door cracking.

I noticed recently that I have a crack just below one of my door locks in the jamb area. It appears to be creating a slight flex in the crack area. Not sure if is is feasible to have it welded or replace a piece of aluminum framing?

Anyone else had to deal with this issue? If so, what was the remedy?

Thanks,

Bro. Dilly

Bro. Dilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Newell Nut

Hey Mr. Bro. Dilly,

I had to deal with the same repair issue on my last Newell and it was an enteresting task. Not that difficult though. I did the repair myself by taking the door off, removed door latch assemblies, and drilling out the inner pop rivets, then gently ground from the inside the outer buck style rivets (which I learned about from reading on this site). While doing this, I had the door lying across a couple of saw horses. Depending on your area of concern with depend on how much indepth you have to go. I only had to replace the side with the locks opposite of the hinge side. If this is the same in your case, you will only need one piece of what call the "Z" channel the length of the door.

Things I replaced was the "Z" channel, pop rivets, and buck rivets. If you are don't want to use buck rivets for the outside portion, then you can use pop rivets and even install little cap type plugs which have been mentioned here on the forum in other posts.

Don't know if this helps, but if there is any other question, maybe I others can help.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
Bro. Dilly

Newell Nut, I appreciated the nice post and information. After reading your post and looking again at the door, it doesn't look that difficult to repair. I can see what appears to be the weak link on this door and that is the large cut-out for accessing the inside lock and latch, it is there where the flex comes into play.

I am going to call around and hopefully find a supplier for the aluminum piece. I need to replace the inside latch handle while I'm at it.

Figuring the age of the RV, and the amount of use the door has received, I am very much impressed with the performance.
Bro. Dilly is offline   Reply With Quote