Need help - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
larryweikart

Default Need help

We need some assistance in finding a service center in/around Baltimore, Md. We are stranded at the Baltimore Ravens stadium parking lot with a broken air bag. Does anyone have some contacts in the area? Thanks

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Ron Skeen

Which bag and what is the problem? I do not know of any service center in the area, but have change my own bags. You probably need to describe what you need done to the service person. Hope thing work out.

1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
larryweikart

Thanks Ron. It's the drivers side drive axle bag. I had tried to get them replaced before we left but they didn't come in on time. I knew it was getting old but had no choice but to go, lesson learned. I think getting the bag will be the biggest problem. Thanks
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
express1

I do know Ron Skeen had some bags. He didn't like the brand so he purchased others. I don't know about fit. I would think a truck repair could get a bag that would allow you roam...Will the stadium allow you to stay till repair is done?
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Neweller

Larry,

You can try Johnson & Towers at:

500 Wilson Point Road
Baltimore, MD 21220
410-687-0500
800-479-3677 Parts

You will surely get their answering service being its a holiday, but there is a good chance they have the part and they offer roadside service. If you leave a return number they are usually prompt at getting back to you after hours and on holidays.

Let us know what you find,

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
tuga

Larry,

I would call Chuck Clark in parts dept. at Newell and have him give you the bag part #. If he has one in stock that might be the quickest way to get one to your coach. If you can clearly read the number on the bag J&T might be your quickest solution. I wouldn't waste my time putting another bag on just to get you out of a bind. The proper air bag has to carry a certain amount of weight in addition to lining up to fit in the existing holes.

Just my .02
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Gone Busing

I agree give J&T a call. They have a lot of parts like bags instock for large DP's and Busses. From what I remember they have Ridewell and Firestone.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Ron Skeen

Larry I do have Used (2) Goodyear 1R11 066 that Newell had put on for me about 2years ago. My originals were Firestone and that is what I replace with last year. You are welcome to these if that will help.
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
larryweikart

Thanks to all for your quick and helpful responses. We have been left alone in this parking area so far. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I called J&T and await a return call. I carry my air bag numbers thanks to Leo, Tom McClouds mechanic in Mesa. They are firestones and I prefer to stay with them.I tried to have these replaced before this trip but my service center didn't get them in before we had to leave for this race. One of our teams is located 1 1/2 hours from here and has offered to send two of their mechanics if necessary. Finding the right bag may be our biggest issue. Thanks again and I'll keep this site posted. What a wonderful, informative and helpful site this is. I owe you all a brewski! Actually made the most of the situation by touring the inner harbor of Baltimore today. A nice place to put on your "bucket list"
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
larryweikart

What an interesting end to our plea for help. Tom Milner, who owns a Newell as well as being one of the most successful team owners in the ALMS racing series based in Winchester, Va., heard of our problem and had 2 of his mechanics remove an air bag from his coach and sent them to Baltimore to install it on ours to help us get on our way. He is a true champion in every sense of the word. Thanks to all for the help and words of encouragement.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Neweller

Larry that is so fantastic that help was right around the corner from a fellow Newell and race team owner. I say cheers to Tom Milner!!!!and his two mechanics. I hope his team wins their fare share of races.

Ken

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
express1

I hope they win them ALL!
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
larryweikart

I neglected to tell you what we found caused our air bag failure. Keep this in mind for the future. Evidently something was picked up by a tire and was thrown against the rod on the travel control valve which bent it inward and, in time, rubbed a hole in the side of the bag. Another lesson learned.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #14
Neweller

Larry, did you happen by chance to get any pictures to share. Always nice for reference whenever possible. And, thanks for the additional note.

Matt, I'll rephrase that to WIN ALL RACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................. Actually when I wrote that in my mind I was thinking of championships and thought that might be asking too much.

-Bob Marley
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
larryweikart

sorry, in the moment I never thought of a picture, only getting it fixed and getting out of there before they forced me to be towed out. Tom has won many championships and his son Tom is a champion also as a driver for the ALMS corvette team.