Cuttin Corian - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
HoosierDaddy

Default Cuttin Corian

My '93 has a Corian table for the booth. Apparently it was designed for somebody a LOT skinnier than me. I would like to narrow the table. I'm looking for ideas on how to best remove about 6 " from the width of the table..
Thanks,
Dean

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
zcasa

Hey Hoosier Daddy:

I did the same thing to my 92 Coach. I wasn't handy enough to do it myself, but I took it to a Corian place and they cut out the center and put the two ends back together. Even the maroonish outline is together. So, underneath the table top one can see where they patched it together but not from the side or the top. Very pleased with their ability to do it. Tom might be able to suggest the right tools etc to use if you were to do it yourself. I paid $150 and it is just wonderful.

David

zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
encantotom

Corian is very hard. it takes a laminate blade or one specifically for it or it will chip.

you can do searches on blades for corian or solid surface and you will find them.

i have some corian i am going to glue and cut to redo some trim piece.

then you can route it and sand it. the finish on corian is a function of how fine a grit of sandpaper you use. using up to 1000-2000 grit will make is shiney. you can also use various scotch brite pads to dull it.

you can get all that stuff at any local or online solid surface supply place.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
fulltiming

I will add that for finishing off an edge or removing a small amount of corian, say 1/2", an oscillating belt sander (I have a Rigid) works wonders. I used mine to trim down a piece of corian in the shower at a 45 degree angle. The adjustable table on the sander made the job fun.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
prairieschooner

Corian is an epoxy based material, I have worked with it in the past and was very happy with the results. First use a Dast Mask!
I was able to use a jig saw to do the rough cutting and then use a router with a straight edge guide to make the final trimming. You can file and sand then polish it to get whatever finish you desire, great stuff.
Again, please4 use a Dust Mask!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote