89 Newell for Sale - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles

Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 AM   #11
rellick

Dave, if you read the ad and talked to the seller, the actual coach and the things wrong with it were two different things, I was just trying to get some more details on the coach that Clint has pointed out. The seller stated it is road ready, and it is far from that.
The seller also stated it was his grandfathers coach, he was lying about that too, is this how some dealers sell their rvs too?
There should be no reason a seller should refuse a mechanical inspection unless they are hiding something like some of the scumbags out there. I know I wont take a chance and have to buy an engine for a coach thats 2500 miles away, never mind taking the time to go there in person when there are inspector's out there that do this kind of thing every day for a couple of hundred bucks. It would be senseless not to imho.

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
Dave-n-Marjorie

Surprising that the dealer would state "inspections not allowed". That right there shows he is hiding something. You are right about this guy.

Most all dealers I know allow inspections by licensed bonded RV tech as long as a DEPOSIT has been put down from buyer. Did he say no inspections if you put deposit down? Or did you not want to put a deposit down and still have it inspected?

Another issue we have with inspectors, they say they are licensed and bonded but when they show up at our facility, they can't provide documentation so they are turned away. It is waaaay too much of a liability for us to let an unlicensed unbonded person on our property going through a coach we still own.

As for a few hundred dollars cost, most mobile, certified, licensed and bonded RV techs charge $100 an hour and a full inspection or pdi, would cost around $500 min, not counting any engine analysis. Doubtful a couple hundred would get you anything reliable.

Once I had to cover for our internet manager when he was out for a month. It was terrible. All these calls, questions, emails, people wanting an inspection, but yet no deposit. I really got sick of it quickly.

I believe there is a HUGE dealer in Texas that won't even talk numbers or inspections until a contract has been written and deposit is taken. They are very successful. That is the way it's supposed to work.

Deposit = serious buyer, no deposit = tire kicker.

Sounds like this guy is a liar, and we all know some sales people will say anything to get a deal, but I always focus more on the RV than the person selling it. Hope this makes sense.

Dave-n-Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #13
rellick

Dave, he never stated he was a dealer, it was his grandfathers coach and said he actually put about 8000 miles on it himself. He did downright refuse an inspection but would allow someone to come and "look at it"
I have the same outlook as you, I dont mind buying something that needs work, the initial price is less and it allows for new upgrades to be done the way you want it. Some honesty is all I ask for, I would have liked to buy it, put new tires, batteries, air bags etc. then I know what I have. If the engine is bad I would repower it with a 60 series detroit and a 4060 allison trans, but the price would have to be less. I prefer the classic body style, but for this one for me it doesnt pencil out, perhaps if it was closer it might.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
Dave-n-Marjorie

Sounds good, but I would personally never let distance be a factor in getting a good deal. When you say “if the engine is bad” how can you tell? I’m just wondering. I don’t know about engines at all, was just told by a mechanic no matter what, make sure you get a Newell with a series 60.

So do the engines go bad often on these things? It ran fine for two people and I guess could be test driven, so how do you know? Is the mileage limited on these things? I know of series 60’s on here for sale with close to 200,000 miles. Does that mean it will need a new engine soon? I thought these things were supposed to last?

What about transmissions? How long do they last? There are so many unknowns when buying a used RV of any brand. Should I just assume the worst? I guess if the engine was running bad and misfiring and blowing jet black smoke at idle, I would know the engine is bad, but how else would you know?

Same thing with transmission. I could test drive it 20 miles and it shifts fine, but 1,000 miles later the transmission could just lock up. How do you know?

Should we just “assume the worst” when we negotiate for these things?

1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 01-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
MrE

A common phrase in many ads is "everything works", kind of reminds me of "trust me" and throws up a red flag. The '89 might have been an excellent deal, the pictures looked good, but I'm with Keith on this one.

There's another classic in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that might be worth looking into. They don't give the year, but I believe it's an 85 or earlier based on the shifter (my 86 has an electric shifter) and the lack of a tag axle Newell started putting on the 40 footers in 87.
Click image for larger version

Name:	00m0m_iPIcstLTdo7_600x450.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	4626Name:  01717_apsrzhPGgWM_600x450.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  6.1 KB
Newell motorcoach for full time living - $25000 (DFW area)

Newell coach 40', all standard Newell features plus new couches convertible to single beds, king dome remote satellite receiver and flat screen television. Great for full time living plus you can tow your other vehicle to the next work site. Fully furnished, just bring your clothes.

Contact me for the full list of equipment.
Coach has 170,000 miles on 475 hp turbo Detroit engine, diesel generator, good rubber and new windows
All records available
Coach can be delivered if desired and driving instruction if necessary
Need to sell so give a call
Newell motorcoach for full time living
Attached Images

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #16
rellick

That is why an engine and transmission oil analysis is a good idea, they can tell what is going on inside without physically taking it apart. Sometimes an engine will smoke and misfire and its only a bad injector but the engine is still good. On the other hand an engine can appear to run good but has a bad bearing etc. same in the transmission. It all depends on how it was looked after, it doesn't matter what engine, old or new, or how many miles are on it.
We are just trying to look out for one another on this forum and would hate too see anyone have to do an unexpected engine or transmission replacement, an oil sample can prevent this from happening.
If it does have a bad engine there is a chance the price will come down accordingly, making it feasable for an engine upgrade to the more desirable 60 series dd.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #17
Dave-n-Marjorie

I do agree with the oil analysis. After I wrote a $10,000 deposit on my Newell, the sale was contingent on oil and trans analysis. Now the Series 60 only had 65k miles, but I did it anyway. I have never heard of that till I read it on this site and have owned over a dozen diesel rv’s and never had it done. I don’t think our dealership has ever had one request in 5 years and thousands of diesel rv sales including some Newells, Prevosts, and Foretravels. It seems to be more a Newell forum thing than whats normal in the industry.

Nothing is for certain. If someone wants to trick you they will. The DD diesel mechanic told me the easy way to beat an analysis is to just change the oil, or even the oil and trans fluid if you didn’t want to spend a lot of money. That throws the analysis right out the window.

I know we all are trying to protect each other, but also we need to think not everything is a scam. That guy selling the 89 could easily fool and scam us if he wanted too. He could install brand new cheap Chinese tires, new wal-mart batteries, change the oil and trans fluid, and advertise it for $29k and the ad would read “New tires, batteries, needs nothing, full inspections encouraged with deposit”. Some buyer will get all excited and get the analysis done and feel great about their deal. They drive off in the sunset, and never have an issue, or maybe have lots of issues. Who knows for certain. Any used vehicle is a risk, no matter how old or new.

1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
rellick

Oil analysis is very common in the trucking and heavy equipment industry. Companies will do this on a regular basis as a preventative measure also to avoid costly repairs and downtime. I realize there is legitimate deals out there and scams as well, the only thing we can do sometimes is hope for the best, but with pre-inspections and caution it narrows the chances of a potential scam. Obviously in this case this guy wasn't very good at it or he would have done like you said with the cheap fixes and the oil change deal. Maybe he is mentally ill or something, who knows.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 01-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #19
ccjohnson

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!! Nothing wrong with putting a re-manufactured 8V92 back in it if engine is bad!!!! Nothing to modify that way & you get to keep that 2 stroke sound!!
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #20
rellick

No offence Clint!! They do sound awsome!! Lol

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list