Has any Newell owners changed out basement air to roof airs? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Chipper

Default Has any Newell owners changed out basement air to roof airs?

I have been struggling with some things while out shopping for a replacement coach. I have looked at some nice bus conversions, Wanderlodges, Foretravels, Rexhall Industries and a couple of classic Newell's. I like the classic style coaches and have also considered what I understand to be the next series of Newell, the 2000 series. I absolutely do not want basement air, I like lots of basement storage. All the Newell's that I have looked at just don't cut it in the storage department. Budget is not my major concern, it's more of feasability, comfort, and preference. My wife says no to the newer style Newell with the bug look. I told her, you mean it kind of reminds you of a grasshopper. It doens't do much for me either; in my humble opinion, the company has gone backwards in the looks department. Forgive me if I have offended anyone.

Now here's my questions -

Did Newell ever offer roof airs on the 2000 series?

Has anyone around here ever converted a basement air to roof airs?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
GORDON HUMMEL

Chip,
There are quite a few post on this forum on this subject. The factory has done some, some individuals have added some. I personally added 2 ducted units & retained the 3 original split airs. On the older units like mine, parts are hard to come by, & you always seam to need them at the wrong time! I believe the roof units became an OEM item shortly after slideout were available because off air distribution problems the slideouts had.

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
Stylin Monster

Gordon Hummel hit the nail on the head. I can't hardly blame you on the style choice. The bug thing comes mostly from the Setra Bus mirrors.

Big rigs a rollin' Hot Damn!
Stylin Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
Neweller

Chipper,

Are you giving up on the classic look now? I believe you had test drove a couple of late 80's models correct? What happened on those? The basement could be a problem unless you can utilize the massive inside storage Newell usually offers. I'm not a huge basement HVAC guy either mainly for the same reason. But many owners have gotten repairs done to their coaches without too much of an issue thanks to the help of this forum. Gordon Hummel has done to his coach exactly what I would do on a like year of Newell. You will probably have to get into the early 2000's with slides to find one without basement air or go back to the late eighties. But, if you would enjoy the space, go with slides and depending on how much time you have and how lucky you are, you might find a '97-99 model year that has been switched over like Gordon's.

Let us know anything else we can help you with.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Chipper

It was suggested by another member to go after a 2003-2006 since they usually have 3-4 roof air conditioners. On a Newell what would constitute whether or not a coach had 3 versus 4 air units?