Basement air replacement - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
smagown

Oops! Typo, #458

97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
RussWhite

Default Data Points for Basement Units

Hi Fellow Newellers

Today is June 20, 2010 and I am parked near Mesa, Arizona. There is a heat advisory in effect and at this moment it is 107 degrees F outside. I am parked in a totally open area with no shade. I have been parked here for about 5 hours with 50A service and my air conditioners running.

Presently the air at the return grill is 74.2 degrees and the air from the closest outlet vent is 57.1 degrees. It is 75.5 at the dinette table. I have repaired the circuit boards and connectors, but have never had the units out for any reason. I keep the return filters clean and that is about it. I was not totally sure until this trip how well they work, but I am a very happy camper with my original SCS units and will do everything I can to keep them running as they are today.

Now after saying this, I am afraid something will croak at any moment

Russ

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Thanks for this very good news because I plan to be in Mesa the first week in July. Hope mine works as well.
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
ashley

Send a message via AIM to ashley

For those with basement ac problems call eddie in lewisville tx 2146689371 They know basement air way better than newell
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
RussWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
For those with basement ac problems call eddie in lewisville tx 2146689371 They know basement air way better than newell
Could you tell us a little more? What has been your experience with the business you are recommending? Often the problem is not "knowing", but not being able to find parts for the basement airs that are no longer made. Could you provide the business name too?
Thanks,
Russ
Old 06-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
folivier

Hey Russ, you too Chester, watch out for that vortex/vacuum in Mesa on Encanto street! We got sucked in and couldn't hardly get out!
Seriously, make sure you visit with Tom and Darlene. We had a really fun time with them.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Thanks Forest, had a great visit with Tom and Darlene several weeks ago. A grand couple and a great source of information. My basement A/Cs seem to work OK for now, but am interested in any information regards repair or replacement for the future.
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
RussWhite

Forest and Chester,

It's been almost two years exactly since I took ownership of my coach in Phoenix and Tom and Darlene were a big help as I learned enough to get on the road and head back east. So, we know what to expect this time of year and it is as hot or hotter than two years ago. I am getting ready to head over to Tom's and see if I can work any magic on his basement units. As it seems every coach is different, his units are both on the driver's side. I kind of like that as most of the sound is away from the patio area. He says they are working "funny" so it should be interesting to see what is going on. He has purchased some relays and I will concentrate on making sure the circuit boards and thermostats are doing things correctly. If problems are bigger than that, we may be over my head. I have not had to remove a unit for fan or compressor work and I hope we don't have to in this heat. More later.....
Russ
Old 06-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
encantotom

Russ spent the day at my place today. i had ordered new relays for the circuit boards and set russ up in the kitchen with a soldering station and gear.

he went to town and replaced 5 relays on each board. i had a spare board (thanks steve) and russ changed the relays on it as well.

we checked them all out and both boards and the spare all worked great. i think one of the relays was bad as after seeing how it works now i think one of the compressors wasnt coming on before.

i went to the local hvac wholesaler that is about 2 miles from my house and bought all 8 starting capacitors and we replaced all 8. buying them wholesale was the way to go as i got all 8 capacitors for 71 bucks.

they are a real pain to change. there just isnt room for big hands like mine in there.

russ is a real trooper as it was quite hot out today.

it is nice to know they are operating right now and that i have a spare control board.

thanks so much to russ for helping me out.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
ashley

national indoor rv center lewisville texas. They took my whole livingroom slide out of the coach, because newell didnt check the seals i ask them too. They have the mechanics from formally buddy gregs who have 25 years of experience. A very impressive shop.They have AC Tech that has worked on basement air for 20 years+
Old 06-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
ashley

Hey Steve bet you know where Alto is. From there
Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
smagown

Ashley:
I went thru Alto yesterday! What year is your coach? Got to have Cool AC here today!
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagown View Post
Ashley:
I went thru Alto yesterday! What year is your coach? Got to have Cool AC here today!
2001 tri slide 589