Wow! What a price! - Page 3 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #41
chockwald

Interesting Jimmy....the forerunner of the Newell......

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #42
encantotom

jimmy, don't do it......don't do it

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #43
prairieschooner

yep, hard to sell retail when the banks are selling wholesale.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #44
Richard and Rhonda

Tuga,

You asked if anyone thought the prices would rebound. They may stablilize, but I don't think they will go back up any appreciable amount. I wasn't shocked by the price. When David was selling his coach, he and talked about what Mr. Olivers told him it was worth wholesale. I know that guy and he is a straight shooter. The number he told David was not all that spectacular.

The reason I don't think they will rebound is the simple law of supply and demand. We own a rare breed. So rare that the standard trading books won't even estimate a value. So the value is solely determined by what one person is willing to pay and the other willing to take. I think we are so rare that we are out of the supply and demand model of pricing. The thing that is hurting ALL older high end coaches is financing. The banks will not touch them. You probably are aware that the prices on the Prevosts have taken an unbelievable beating too.

So, where does that put the situation for me. Thankful. Thankful, that the coach is well constructed, and except for my own little anomaly right now, not deteroriating. It serves us well, has all the features to be very comfy, and is built to last for the long haul. I won't pick on any particular brands, but I would be much more nauseated if I owned a sticks and staples coach of the high end variety because I can't see those coaches being in the same condition 15 years from now that I expect my Newell will be.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #45
photoadjuster

Default Good

PopsRvOutlet is a good seller. Two years ago I bought a Beaver Patriot Thunder from another salesman at this same RV dealer in Weatherford. As explained to me, they buy repossessed coaches at auction, make needed repairs and sell them. They must turn them very fast, because their floorplan is only for a few weeks, then they must sell them at auction.
I paid $ 20,000 less for the Beaver than 3 other similar units I was looking at.

They were very upfront with me. I would have bought this newell, but the timing was wrong.

Mike Stephenson
Lubbock, TX
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #46
tuga

Richard,

I agree with you on pricing and the fact that our coaches will outlast us! The only factor that could change things is a reduction in supply. That being, if Newell would reduce production down to 20 to 25 coaches a year or less. That event would in turn put fewer coaches on the used market which would stabilize prices. The economy will rebound one day; when is anyone's guess.

I agree that Paul Davis is a no nonsense straight shooter. He knows the true value of MHs; he sees both sides of the market everyday. Anyone who is really serious about selling their coach should consider listing it with Paul. He knows the true value and how to market it. IMO, over-pricing a coach is the single largest mistake that a seller makes when selling. We all feel that our coach is worth more - just because it is our BABY!

Thanks for your insight. Looks like I will be driving #512 for a long, long time. Glad I have a Newell.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #47
jwe648

Default Question?

The 94' that just showed up in the classifieds @ 68k.. the ad speaks of bumps in the headliner (ceiling)... looking at the photos in the ad.. Wouldn't that be caused by water leaks in the roof causing the plywood around the rivet area to swell?

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #48
Richard and Rhonda

Really hard to say without an up close inspection. If that ceiling is like mine, the vinyl is stretched between two pieces of plywood that are screwed to the plywood ceiling. The plywood bosses protrude about half an inch. It looks like the puckering is on the bosses themselves. I am try to imagine what has caused that.

I wouldn't jump to water and rivets without looking at it. You may be right, but who knows.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #49
jwe648

Default Information

There is another ad that shows larger photos http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rvs/1988549893.html

I tried to contact them no response..
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
Really hard to say without an up close inspection. If that ceiling is like mine, the vinyl is stretched between two pieces of plywood that are screwed to the plywood ceiling. The plywood bosses protrude about half an inch. It looks like the puckering is on the bosses themselves. I am try to imagine what has caused that.

I wouldn't jump to water and rivets without looking at it. You may be right, but who knows.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #50
GSrdr

The engine bay sure looks clean, dusty but otherwise clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine-1994.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	882  
GSrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #51
GSrdr

The old cellphone is evidence that this Newell has been idle quite a while. Estate sale?

Apply the LineX to the roof to make sure everything is forever waterproof, repair the headliner, some more of this and that, and someone will have a very nice Newell at a very good price.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drivers-1994.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen-1994.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	884  
Old 10-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #52
GSrdr

This is the best I can do with the headliner. Small photos make for too few pixels to work with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Headliner-1994.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	885  
Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #53
photoadjuster

What gas mileage would you expect to get with this coach, towing a 6,500 toad? I assume it is the DD 8v92 DDEC.

Mike Stephenson
Lubbock,TX
Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #54
encantotom

i get 6.5 to 7 towing and with the generator running. the genny gets about .5 or a little more gallons per hour.

i dont think anyone with the 8v92 is going to get much different. if you drivr 55 all the time on flat roads it might get .5 to 1 mpg more, perhaps.

these are not economy rigs....

tom

Old 10-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #55
photoadjuster

Thanks Tom, I have to tow a Class B motorhome (Sprinter MB Cruiser) used as a mobile office. I have a Beaver Patriot Thunder with the 455 cat C-12. My mileage is 8 to 8.5. I am shopping for a Newell. Could you tell me what year they went to the Series 60 and what the difference in performance and mileage might be versus the 8v92.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #56
encantotom

late 94 and most 95's on are s60. i know they get better mileage by a little and mixed with the 6 speed allison rather than the ht740 4 speed my ol rig has give some better performance, but you would have to get some of the guys like Tuga who has had 8v92's and s60 to comment.

tom

Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #57
afrench45

Well I'm not Tuga, but I have a 60 series so I guess I'll chime in! I average about 6.5-6.8mpg. However I usually run 75-80 while pulling an H2.
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #58
rheavn

I don't tow quite that heavy a toad and I cruise about 63mph and average between 7.5 & 8.0 with my series 60.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #59
Richard and Rhonda

I run 63 to 70 towing a Subaru. Running the genny most of the time to keep the princess cool. 6.8 to 7.2 mpg. Rhonda drives 60 to 63 when she drives and the mileage will go up to about 7.5. Of course, I'm drinking coffee while she's driving, so as soon as we switch drivers the speed goes up and the mileage down :-)

I've done 7.8 on a long run in the winter without the genny and a tow car.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #60
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by encantotom View Post
late 94 and most 95's on are s60. i know they get better mileage by a little and mixed with the 6 speed allison rather than the ht740 4 speed my ol rig has give some better performance, but you would have to get some of the guys like Tuga who has had 8v92's and s60 to comment.

tom
Tom,

My 8V92 got 5.5 mpg driving 65 towing a Yukon
My s 60 gets 7.5 mpg driving 65 towing a Pilot

Those are averages over flat, hilly, mountains, etc.

I like the s 60 much better; runs cooler in the mountains and doesn't throw oil like the 8V92. But the 8V92 had a sweet sound at idle!

Like everything else there are pluses and minuses.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote