Anyone installed an Atwood LP/electric/heat exchange water heater? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
MrE

Default Anyone installed an Atwood LP/electric/heat exchange water heater?

My Raritan water heater is now leaking and I've looked at some of the less expensive alternatives and found the Atwood that also adds LP to the mix. Sounds like a great option for dry camping, but also would involve venting a compartment that I don't want to freeze when it's cold outside. I feel fairly certain that I could engineer a solution to vent just the water heater, just wondering if someone else has already done it. Thanks in advance.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
FJGuard

If you wanted to stick with a Raritan water heater you might want to check ebay some sellers have a - make offer - option. I'm sorry other than that I can't be of much help because I don't know anything about the Atwood. I'm sure someone will hit you back with more.

FJGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Neweller

Jon, the Raritan is hard to beat. I have replaced one on a prior coach and it was actually very easy and straight forward. I too considered going with Atwood since I had a couple of them already laying around. Contemplated the modification and yes it is very doable and you definitely a well versed guy to pull it off. I decided to stick with the Raritan after talking to a family member who works in the marine industry swear by them. I know the LP option is nice to have unless you want to stretch for solar. (I am aware there are some opponents and proponents on here. But I have been in an all electric bus conversion with solar and two 4400 inverters and it was an awesome setup. I know it sounds extreme. lol That was just a side note. Now I'm trying empty your pocket book.

I have ran across some deals on Raritan including a freight damaged one that was hardly even hurt for a screaming deal.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
The Newell

Hi Jon & Chris,

Where is your water heater leaking from? The Raritan water heaters are known for sticking and leaking Pressure relief valves
You can tell if the TP valve(Temperature Relief) is opening by putting a container under the outlet. If you find water in it, the TP valve has opened at some point in the recent past and will need to be replaced.

The pressure relief valve is set to open at 75 PSI or 205 degrees F. The manufacturer of the relief valve (Watts Controls) states that once the pressure relief valve has opened, they cannot and will not guarantee that it will ever hold the pressure again after it has closed. So, putting that in simple terms, it means that once it has opened from either pressure or heat - it must be replaced. Even though it may close when the pressure or overheating is back to normal, the relief valve now isn't any good and will need to be changed.

Also what is the model number your looking to install of the Atwood LP Hot Water Heater?

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
The Newell

Let me also ad Raritan water heaters are extremely simple and basic. There is no thermister or thermocouple or anything else. The tank and the electrical portion of all Raritan water heaters are remarkably similar to residential electric water heaters, and they work the same way

The thermostat on Raritan water heaters is basically a simple automatically resetting bimetallic element that presses against the OUTSIDE of the metal tank. When the water inside the tank heats, the metal tank itself also heats up to the same temperature. As the heat from the metal tank transfers to the back side of the thermostat, it opens and closes, sending power to, or cutting power off from, the electric resistance heating element.

If the bimetallic thermostat should go bad and stick in the "on" position, sending continuous power to the heating element, the thermostat has a safety backup, which is another bimetallic element, that "pops" at somewhere around 195 degrees F. killing the power to the heating element.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
Neweller

Joe, thanks for bringing up those great points of interest. I just completely got on the replacement wagon first and glad you provided that great informative information.

Jon, another water heater brand is to go with a stainless steel model from Torrid as they are a heat exchanger water heater too.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
prairieschooner

I installed a SEAWARD 5 years ago. SEAWARD and ATTWOOD have merged. No problems so far and for the extra cost you could replace 2 ATTWOODS for every 1 RARITAN!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
Gone Busing

We have a Raritan in our bus as that is the way it came. I have no complaints it heats water like an on demand unit. Heard the Seaward and the Torrid are both great brands.

When did Seaward and Attwood merge? Never heard about it.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
MrE

The current Raritan is 12 gallons and the tank is leaking. A prior owner put expanding foam around the base and further inspection has revealed rust underneath. The link I was looking at is 11 Gallon Water Heater.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #10
Gone Busing

MrE what brand is the 11 gallon water heater. The price is pretty reasonble it seems.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #11
prairieschooner

Seaward and Attwood merged a few years back, not sure who bought who.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
prairieschooner

Seaward and Attwood merged a few years back, not sure who bought who. Attwood was better quality but not everyone is willing to pay for it. The older Attwoods had Copper Coils and the older Seawards had Aluminum...guess who won out.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]