Shots fired from world's first 3D-printed gun - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
MrE

Default Shots fired from world's first 3D-printed gun

The world's first 3D-printed handgun has been successfully fired in Texas, according to its creator Defense Distributed.
All 16 parts of the controversial gun, called the Liberator, are made from a tough, heat-resistant plastic used in products such as musical instruments, kitchen appliances and vehicle bumper bars.Fifteen of those are made with a 3D printer while one is a non-functional metal part which can be picked up by metal detectors, making it legal under U.S. law. The firing pin is also not made of plastic, though it is easily crafted from a metal nail.
The weapon is designed to fire standard handgun rounds and even features an interchangeable barrel so that it can handle different caliber rounds. The blueprint files were made available online today for download.Defense Distributed, a not-for-profit group based in Texas, was founded by 25-year-old University of Texas law study Cody Wilson, who took eight months to create the gun.Wilson, who test fired the gun himself, said the goal with the Liberator is to highlight how technology can render laws and governments all but irrelevant."I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people," Wilson told Forbes. "That’s what it is -- it’s a gun. But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there. I think that liberty in the end is a better interest."His efforts to publish the printable blueprints online have sparked outrage in the U.S."Once the file is online, anyone will be able to download and print the gun in the privacy of their garage, legally or not, with no serial number, background check, or other regulatory hurdles," A Forbes article wrote.New York congressman Steve Israel has already called for national legislation to ban 3D-printed guns.In a statement last week he said: "Security checkpoints, background checks, and gun regulations will do little good if criminals can print plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser."When I started talking about the issue of plastic firearms months ago, I was told the idea of a plastic gun is science-fiction."Now that this technology is proven, we need to act now to extend the ban on plastic firearms."
[video=youtube;drPz6n6UXQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=drPz6n6UXQY[/video]

Shots fired from world's first 3D-printed gun | Fox News

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
1993Newell

Ban plastic fire arms next?

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Neweller

I just read prior to seeing this that others are calling for a ban on the 3D plastic printers. So, if you just a plastic 3D printer for other hobby use or for manufacturing, you may want to get one now. There are at least two companies that build hobby kits you put together yourself. I know of at least two of them that launch on kickstarter in the last year. I have one and love creating cool things with it. My son was making some new designed items for fig rig last night with it.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote