Non Petroleum Based UV Tire Protectant - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
GypsyCliff

Default Non Petroleum Based UV Tire Protectant

Good Day Everyone!

When we purchased our Newell we were told to use a good UV protectant that does not contain petroleum products on the tires to prolong tire life which was Easier said than done for us. It seems most products out there contain petroleum products. I hate seeing the sun beat on it when we haven't found anything to protect them with. Have any of you found anything?

Thanks,

Cliff

1976 Newell Coach W/Cummins Engine
GypsyCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
jWolfe

Cliff check they threads. - http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...s-product.html and http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...tire-care.html

Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
cdat

I certainly am not a tire expert, but Toyo and Michelin's websites both say that if the vehicle is going to be stored outside you should cover your tires to protect them from the sun and uv rays. This is a subject that has been repeatedly discussed on this forum and others, with each person having a different, and probably valid opinion. I don't believe that foams and creams will have as much effect on a tires life as proper or improper inflation. That's my 2 cents, (all my wife lets me have), I think you should do what you are comfortable with as far as maintenance and cleaning, but do keep the tires properly inflated.
John
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Cheri Smith

John is right its been discussed so many time and everyone seems to have a different opinion. I have read that none of it is needed. But I think you should use whatever suits your needs best.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
MrE

Tire sidewall deterioration

Vehicles which are parked for extended periods often experience tire sidewall deterioration. Sometimes called tire dry-rot, these sidewalls literally dry, check and eventually crack and split. Each year the loss for RVers, trailer boaters and owners of classic cars adds up to millions of dollars. This article examines this problem.

Tires today commonly contain chemical ingredients which lessen damage from ozone and ultraviolet light, the main environmental enemies of tires. Ozone is an odorless gas, which some people call the electric train smell. Although it is more concentrated in cities and manufacturing centers, ozone is a normal part of the air we breathe everywhere. When combined with ultraviolet (UV) light, ozone causes rubber to dry and become brittle and results in tire sidewall deterioration.

Black Tires

To protect rubber against UV damage is why tires are black. Tire makers use a common type of UV stabilizer called a competitive absorber. Competitive absorbers capture and absorb the UV light instead of the tire's rubber. Carbon black, a very cheap ingredient, is used as a competitive absorber whereas, all other UV stabilizers are extremely expensive. This is why tires are black and are not made in designer colors.

UV stabilizers are called sacrificial, meaning they are gradually used up and reach a point where they can no longer protect the tire against UV damage. As carbon black loses its ability to do this job, it turns gray, which explains why tires appear gray as the get older.

Ozone Protection

Waxes are used to protect tires against ozone. When tires are being driven they flex. This flexing causes the protective waxes to move to the surface where they form a physical barrier between the air --which contains ozone and oxygen-- and the tire polymer. This is called blooming.

Other Degradants

Petrochemicals and silicone oils can also remove protective waxes and increase the rate of decay. Common automotive protectants and tire dressings can contain chemicals and/or silicone oils which dissolve protective waxes and can actually attack the sidewalls. In the event of failure, one of the first things tire manufacturers look for is evidence of the use of these types of products. If it is found it may be a cause for invalidating a warrant against manufacturing defects.

Solutions

The most effective solution for this problem is to remove the tires from their rims and store them in a cool dry location which is not exposed to sunlight.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
NewellCrazy

the 2 Johns have it right and in a perfect world you could remove your tires but since its not a perfect world you can't. Great information by the way Jon and that's an awful large full moon .

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Derek Knight

Solutions

The most effective solution for this problem is to remove the tires from their rims and store them in a cool dry location which is not exposed to sunlight.

Note: someone could only do this if they were storing their coach for a while. Not happening if you're traveling. And even with that it would be a hassle.
Derek Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Derek Knight

Sean you beat me to the punch. I'm a slow typer.
Derek Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
MrE

We need Neweller to organize tire time-share groups that only need one set of road worthy tires and wheels per group. If it wasn't your time to have them you could be parked on 20 year old re-treads and not worrying about UV and ozone.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
GypsyCliff

Thanks guys I'll make sure to keep the coach tires covers when I'm parked.

Cliff

1976 Newell Coach W/Cummins Engine
GypsyCliff is offline   Reply With Quote