Black Water tank leak - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Bill & Sonja

Default Black Water tank leak

Hello Newell gang, we have had a real nice journey from frozen Calgary to Las Vegas with one problem. We have developed a leak in the black water tank (120 gallon green variety). Near as I can tell it is close to the bottom and seeps rather than runs. We are at Camping World in Hederson NV and they concur with the above observations but are not able to help with tank problems. Does anyone have a suggestion as to who/where we may find competent and willing helpers with this problem. I will be phoning FMC this morning and see if they have anyone on their list in Nevada/Arizona. We are willing to travel, hopefully staying out of the snow, to find a solution to this nasty problem. Bill

Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
folivier

Can't remember, but I think on the Wanderlodge forum there was talk of a product used by aircraft that is applied to the inside of a tank that might work with leaks. Try searching there.
Another option if you can get to the leaking area is to use a heat gun and some of the same type of plastic (search for "plastic welding") to seal it. Or another option is a 3M product (Scotchkote?) that is used for metal pipe coatings, it is a green rod that is applied using heat and is incredibly sticky and tenacious. I'll try and find the name, Oh yeah some boating places sell it for repairing aluminum boats.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
prairieschooner

I do not think that could be repaired to last. I believe that these Tanks are Seamless and any repair would be temporary in nature. Here is a link to RONCO;
http://www.ronco-plastics.com/
I have used them in the past for Tankage in Yachts and they are great! The problem is that they are in Tustin, CA, this near Newport Beach. They have many shapes and sizes for both Freshwater and Black-water.
You may even be able to get a replacement straight from Newell,
Good Luck with this
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
HoosierDaddy

I ended up having a steel tank built. I coated it inside and out with POR 15 paint. Adding 1/2 cup vegetable oil to it after I dump keeps it from rusting. It should last 20 years or so.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote