Keeping records on your Newell coach? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Derek Knight

Question Keeping records on your Newell coach?

Do you keep record of all your coach maintenance?

Derek Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Neweller

Derek any caring owner will keep substantial records. If they do not then they could really take a bath on the resale of their Newell when it comes sale time. All the

different coaches I have owned have multiple log books, receipts, maintenance records and so forth when I acquired them and then later re-sold them. Sometimes

records are lost in the case of a bankruptcy, repossession, estate sale and so on. Always use a lot of scrutiny if ever going down this road. And if a dealer owns a

coach without records then he acquired it most likely from an auction or one of the other choices already mentioned. Sometimes records can even be hidden by a

seller to hide something they don't want you to know, such as inspections showing signs of neglect, higher mileage than on the odometer, major accident repairs and

so on. RV's for the most part don't make the list on company's like Carfax like automobiles.

If I run across a Newell Coach and there are not records, I would go over it with a fine tooth comb. If I was still interested in the unit, I would offer much less than

the average going price of other similar equipped and year Newell's. And I have an estimating/appraisal schedule I use.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Derek Knight

Thanks Ken for the thorough response. I want to purchase a coach for a good deal but not because it was neglected. I would like to find one that has been well taken care of and has the records to show it.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
Randy J

We have a binder that came with our coach. Has all past service done. repairs and upgrades. I have always been bad. about keeping track of this stuff. Leeann is great at it. But don't tell her I said that!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
lbrachfe

Quite often even good coaches have no records as many owners toss them as they figure they are unimportant. The factory no longer provides records at all and this same liability exxtends to the minds of sellers as was said already that sometimes sellers don't want you to know what they had done. Inspection and reinspection before you buy.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I purchased my 2001 about six months ago, and the only record I had was the last oil change. Since no records, I had the dealer check everything and will completely service the coach in three weeks to set a baseline.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrachfe View Post
Quite often even good coaches have no records as many owners toss them as they figure they are unimportant. The factory no longer provides records at all and this same liability exxtends to the minds of sellers as was said already that sometimes sellers don't want you to know what they had done. Inspection and reinspection before you buy.
Larry, you are so right. There are many great deals out there on vehicles of all types that may not have records and I'm only suggesting this as a rule of thumb. I'll be

honest if you don't have records and we are to strike a deal on my buying your vehicle, whether it be a Newell, BMW, Mercedes or Honda mini van and you do not

have descent records, I plan to use that against you in my favor. Now if I know a little bit about you and know you have everything serviced at a dealership and

maybe don't like wasting time keeping those types of records, I still respect that. And inspections can tell a lot but not always enough. Dealers especially know how to

cover stuff up, not that all do those kinds of things but it is done on a daily basis. Less now days for the most part thanks to Carfax. Now I'm also not saying some

unscrupulous individuals have not done the same. My main point would be if the unit has records, that is a super plus especially if you are paying top dollar, otherwise

adjust pricing if you see fit and inspect, inspect and inspect. Coming from a family that has owned dozens of New/used car dealerships I've been around the block a

couple times but actually enjoyed more of the parts end of things and went that direction. If we were to take a high end vehicle of any type in trade, we loved it

when folks had great records, because sometimes it is what helped make a top dollar sale. Now if you showed someone a ton of records on multiple repairs and the

vehicle was not that old, to me would be a sign of abuse, neglect or possibly a lemon like a couple of Jaguars I have owned (the one's we would throw a Chevy V-8

in)LOL.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
ccjohnson

We try to keep meticulous records on ours since we have owned it. Divided by; Major repair, up-grade & normal maintenance & operating costs. If we ever decide to sell it we will have some justification for wanting a little more on an older coach.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Derek Knight

Clint when it comes time you want to sell, I have no doubts you will get what you want for your coach. Meticulous records are high standards in my book it shows the owner cared for the coach.