1986 Newell seeking information - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
evolution1957

Default 1986 Newell seeking information

I am considering the purchase of a 1986 Newell shown in the 1986 Newell Coach Album 4 in the Newell Gallery. Any information on this coach would be greatly appreciated as this will be our first Newell purchase.

Thank you,

David

evolution1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
evolution1957

Default 1986 Newell Pictures

Here are a few pictures of the 1986 Newell. Any information about the coach is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bus11.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	926   Click image for larger version

Name:	bus13.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	927  

Old 12-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
jwe648

Default location

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution1957 View Post
Here are a few pictures of the 1986 Newell. Any information about the coach is greatly appreciated.
Is that the one in Austin?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

Evo,

Are you asking if anyone has particular info on that coach, or are you seeking info on things about that vintage coach?
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
evolution1957

Default 1986 Newell

Thank you for the quick responses.

This is the Newell in Austin, Texas and any information about this particular Newell or general information about similar units is appreciated.

David
Old 01-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
Bill & Sonja

David, I don't have any knowledge of the Newell in Austin, but our coach is an 87 and I imagine quite similar. We've had ours just over a year and love everything about it. We've lived and travelled in it about 5 months of that time and find the more we get to know about the coach the better we like it. We've travelled in all weather conditions and driven in flat and mountainous terrain and everything about it is excellent. Yes, we've had odds and ends to repair, but having spent a bit and gone to some effort to make repairs is gratifying when you know the coach has a very long useful life ahead of it. We enjoy it immensely!
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
evolution1957

Default Thank you

Thank you for the information. Should I be concerned about the lack of a tag axle on this unit? And if you do not mind my asking, what kind of repairs did you experience? This unit has approximately 280,000 miles which equates to over 10,000 miles a year but not sure what kind of repairs to expect.

David
Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
jwe648

Default looked into this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution1957 View Post
Thank you for the information. Should I be concerned about the lack of a tag axle on this unit? And if you do not mind my asking, what kind of repairs did you experience? This unit has approximately 280,000 miles which equates to over 10,000 miles a year but not sure what kind of repairs to expect.

David
Hi David I looked into this one They had run into a pole in the parking lot.. should be a ez fix .. The engine had been ovehauled sometime back..I suppose it all depends on price.. and how much u want to do yourself..
PM me and we'll discuss if you like...

Jimmy
Old 01-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
Summersgal

David

I sent you a PM about our coach that we also have for sale....
Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
folivier

I have a '93 39 footer and was concerned about not having a tag. But since having it for 2 years I have no problems with capacity and it's really nice being able to make tighter turns than having a tag. Had to make a u-turn yesterday after pulling off the interstate to make a quick air line repair. I think Newell only puts tags on 40' and longer. I talked to John Clark at the factory when I was looking at mine and he said I'd have no problems with weight capacity, and he was right.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
chockwald

10,000 miles per year is actually a good thing.......mechanical things do better when used on a regular basis. Wouldn't worry about the mileage as long as maintenance has been done and can be documented. These coaches are made to be used, and hold up well to heavy use. The lack of a tag, as Forest has stated, makes it easier to maneuver in tight spaces, and saves you a lot of weight. I have seen a number of 40' Classic Newells with no tag.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
evolution1957

Default Thank you

We really appreciate all of your responses. Especially to Jimmy for spending a great deal of time sharing his information on New Year's Eve. This is a great forum and all of your helpful information is appreciated as we analyse which year model and length will best suit our needs. Happy New Year to one and all.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
Bill & Sonja

David, in response to your question, what repairs I have done to our Newell. There has been nothing major but a few things that are no surprise for an 87 coach. To list what I remember at the moment:
I had the local Detroit dealer inspect all systems and change all fluids and filters. Found and tightened a few coolant leaks. Replace and add a relay to the headlight switch, replace the off/on switch for the hot-water tank, replace the high limit switch for the hot-water tank. Remove and plastic weld the waste water tank due to the deodorizer thru tank fittings rusting out (this is no fun when you have to hire it done on the road). Replace maxi-pod rubber seal (brake system air leak). Replace tag air bag. Replace old valves and seals on SeaLand toilet. Replace Grohe faucet parts (no charge for parts from dealer). Added a small auxiliary inverter till I figured out the factory one still worked fine. Re built the alternator. Rebuilt the generator starter. Replace tires and batteries as needed. I added solar panels. I still have the low coolant sending unit to replace. Replace constant duty solenoid on the battery merge circuit. Ongoing search for supply side air leaks. Changed a non-functioning interior light over to LED. That's what I remember for the moment. Our coach had been well maintained and serviced regularly by Newell for much of it's life. This may give you a flavour for the kind of things you might have to deal with. We have been fortunate not to have any issues with the power train, and everything there looks excellent for the future. Feel free to private message me if you wish. Bill
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
chockwald

To add to Bill and Sonjia's repair list....we bought our '82 in March of 2008. The first 2 things I noticed that weren't working was the panel A/C, and the cruise control. The panel A/C required a new belt driven compressor which cost less than $800 including labor. The cruise control was a Dana, which is no longer in production with no parts available so I had a new one installed and love it. Cost was around $1200 including labor. The next thing that came up was the need for 4 new rear tires after the left front blew out on I-10. The right front had already been replaced by the prior owner, so I just had the 4 rear ones replaced. Cost $1300 including labor. Turned out the date codes on those 4 tires ranged from 7-9 years old! There have been elective things we have done like replacing the carpeted floors with wood floors.....cost around $1800 including labor. My brother, who does this for a living, did it for us. The other elective things have been relatively inexpensive. Everything else works...both roof A/C's blow ice cubes. All three gas furnaces work great (using them this morning in Indio where overnight temps got down to 35). All three electric heaters work great, and so does the block heater. The genset runs like a champ. Both the interior Dometic refrigerator/freezer and the basement Norcold refer work great, as well as the original gas only water heater.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #15
Scubadude

David, I have a 1985 with no tag. It has 185,000 miles and was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago. Works great. I have done a variety of small things spent $3,000 replacing the microwave, in counter blender, front tires, replacing the generator blower motor and other small items.
Runs and drives great, planning my next escape now.
Scubadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #16
evolution1957

Thanks for sharing the details on your units. I will make sure to have the prospective unit inspected with maintenance records a plus.

David