74 Newell Coach - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
Bill Stuart

Default 74 Newell Coach

I own a 1973 Newell with a 3208 Cat, no turbo. The engine was installed by Suncoast Ford in Florida, replacing the original 1160 Cat. Can anyone tell me what the horsepower of the 1160 was? I think it is cooling properly, but what should temperature be going down the highway? The rear end is an H-140RDAX5. This engine, since installed, has only 16,000 miles - is rear end to light? Did Newell install the 23,000 lb Page drive axle air suspension and the Onan 3 cylinder, water cooled diesel genset generator? Motorhome dog walks on me - has new Toyo tires in front. Checked steering box, seems tight - you really have to be on top of steering going down road. In the past when people were going from older tires to the new style radial tires, you had to realign your front end? Do you think there's to much overhang on rear end of coach making it light on front axle. Thanks again for your help. Bill

Bill Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
TechTalk

Long wheelbase vehicles such as Newell coaches require alignment of drive (and tag) axles in addition to front axles. The thrust angle of the rear axle(s) must be adjusted close to zero or, if possible, eliminated to correct a dog tracking situaiton. The Newell Service Department utilizes the latest Hunter axle alignment equipment which is designed to perform highly accurate total axle alignments. If your coach wanders, we suspect you may also have a front axle alignment issue. You may have a "toe-out" condition. Changing from conventional to radial tires generally requires the toe-in to be set at minimum. We recommend 1/32". In summary, a complete alignment, in your case, two axles, is recommended. Once you know the alignment is correct, if you still have a problem, further checks can be made. Swapping front tires side-to-side has been known to cure some wandering problems. With the relatively light Cat 3208, the weight front vs. rear axle is not the problem. We built a number of two axle coaches with much heavier 8V92 engines. These coaches handled just fine. You indicate that your steering gear is "tight." If you have trouble curing the wandering, you might also have the steering gear checked by a competent mechanic, and rebuilt or replaced if necessary.

TechTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 04:35 AM   #3
Bill Stuart

Thanks for your response on March 26, 2003. The info you gave me really helps - am going to have front and rear axle alignment checked. Do you know if Newell installed the 23,000 pound Page air suspension, also if they installed the Onan, water cooled diesel generator? Do you think the 140RDAX5 rear end is OK to run with the 3208, it has a six inch axle. Thanks for all your help. Bill & Linda
Old 03-30-2003, 01:01 PM   #4
TechTalk

Newell used Page and Page air ride systems in the 1970s, so we probably installed the suspension. Chances are the axle and the generator are also original equipment, but confirming this would be difficult. We don't have access the specifications of the rear axle. The two major variables are the power and torque capacity and the match of the ratio to the engine. If the coach has adequate acceleration and cruising speed, the ratio is probably okay. Confirming the power capacity is trickier. If inadequate, you'll probably break a ring gear sooner or later. But the fact that it apparently has run for many years is a very good sign. We wouldn't suggest doing anything about the rear axle torque capacity unless and until it breaks because there is a good chance it won't.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:00 AM   #5
Bill Stuart

On my 1974 Coach, VIN #3000E101706H, I need two rear brake drums, the rear end is a H140RDAXS and A333-D-680 cast iron hub. My question to you is, the closest I have found to your factory drum is a Gunite XXXX. The only difference between your drum and the one I found is the replacement drum where lug studs go through holes is a lot thicker, by probably 3/8" or better. Can you provide me with the correct part number for the drums or the cost of the drums through you. Thanks, Bill

P.S. Coach has been down 7 months trying to find the correct drum and hub. I found bearing hub.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:32 AM   #6
TechTalk

We no longer have a source for these drums. However, if you have located a drum that fits except for thicker material in the lug nut area, perhaps you can install longer lug nuts and make this drum work.