Pressure Reducing Valves - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
fulltiming

Lightbulb Pressure Reducing Valves

Most Newell's have a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) installed after the hose connection in the wet bay to limit the internal pressures that the coach plumbing sees. However, this does not protect the water hose that connects the coach to the park water faucet from damage due to high pressure. It is not uncommon to find RV parks with 85-105 psi static pressure. Many RV Parks and RV supply facilities sell small pressure reducers. Unfortunately these little devices really take a toll on water flow. Look through one of them and you will notice that there is very little space for the water to flow through the device into your hose and then into the coach. This will greatly miss you your shower.

The situation is fairly easy to solve at a Home Depot/Lowe's. Purchase a 3/4" residential Pressure Reducing Valve. They cost about $30 and are about the size of softball. You will need to purchase adapters to convert the 3/4" female pipe threads on each end of the PRV to garden hose connectors. I was able to find a 3/4" female pipe to female garden hose adapter for one end so I had to add a 2" long 3/4" male to 3/4" male pipe nipple to convert that side. The other side I was able to locate a 3/4" male garden hose to 3/4" male pipe adapter to attach to the other side of the PRV.

I connect the PRV output directly to my external water filter and, depending on the location of the faucet, either connect a 2' length of treated water hose to the faucet and the input side of the PRV OR attach the input side of the PRV with the hose adapter directly to the faucet. Now all, or all but 2', of the hose is subjected to less than 50 psi (I have mine set to 45 psi) instead of the 90+ psi at many parks AND the internal plumbing is protected from a failure of the PRV Newell installs AND the flow is not restricted.

PRV's do wear out/fail after time so it is cheap insurance.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote