Cross County in a Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
prestadude

Default Cross County in a Newell

Well, here I sit in a hotel room in Goshen, Indiana. I just dropped off my Newell for a handicapped conversion. I had brought up the issue of handicapped conversion previously in the forum and I was encouraged to contact Newell. I did and they just didn't seem to be able to pull together a complete response to my request. Not that they didn't try, I just think that they were too busy to work on something like this (add lift seat at entry door, build ramp up to elevated bathroom in rear of coach, fabricate automated hinge device to lift toe of bed to clear ramp, retrofit shower to remove step over). I ended up selecting a duo of firms in Indiana that specialize in such work and coordinate their efforts (one firm, Startracks, does seat lifts, the second firm K & D Custom Coach does interior modifications).

My solo trip started in Sacramento, California. Day 1-Sacto to Salt Lake City, 650 mi, Day 2-SLC to Cheyenne, 500 miles, Day 3-Cheyenne to Omaha 500 miles, Day 4-Omaha to Goshen (acutally nearby Elkhart), 550 miles. A total of 2,200 miles. Due to my lack of experience driving RVs (much less 45' long coaches) I was in a pepetual state of mild anxiety. I would complete one task I was worried about (how am I going to park in that little campsite), only to have a new worry pop into it's place (how am I going to drive out of this little campsite).

My calculated mileage was interesting. My first fillup was in Wyoming, mileage for that leg was 7.49 mpg. The second fillup was in Omaha, mileage for that leg was 9.97. No other fuelings after that. I drove at speeds no faster than 65 mph. I don't believe the 9.97, maybe the pump kicked off early and I didnt get a completely full tank. My coach also had the Detroit Diesel info center (I don't know the real name) that displays mileage. The mileage on this device slowly climbed throughout the trip reading 8.14 mpg at the end of the trip. Of course, I did drive slower through Illinois since 55 is the speed limit for motorhomes.

Mechanically the coach did well. I checked the oil every day and did not see a need to add any. At the end of the trip I noticed a little play in the steering (I can rotate the steering wheel maybe 3/4" from "stop to stop" before actually turning the wheels). I assume this can be fixed with some adjustment. I will swing by Newell on the way home next month and was going to have them look at it then but if the forum members think I need to have this attended to now, then I will make arrangements to do so.

The other glitch was an error message on the Detroit Diesel info center display "TPS Circuit Failed Low". A check engine light also illuminated on the dashboard. I turned off the cruise control (so that I could feel the response of the engine to the throttle) and that corrected the error. I used the cruise control for the rest of the trip with no other problems. With the manuals provided by Detroit Diesel, I was able to determing that TPS stands for throttle position sensor. Beyond that, I have no idea if this is a simple random electronic glitch that will not soon return, or if I need to have the TPS examined/replaced. Any suggestions?

Lifestyle Note: I fueled at Flying J which has big fried food displays right at the cash registers. I tell you, the last thing a long haul trucker needs is to stockup on fried chicken or cheese sticks at each stop.

Signed, a tired, stressed but happy Newell owner.

prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
encantotom

tim,

thanks for the report. please take pictures of the conversion as that will be really cool to see.

the feeling of mild anxiety will move to be excited uphoria as you get used to it. it is calming and relaxing for me to go drive the newell and sometimes i take it out just to feel that way. it will happen to you too.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

Tim,

Great to hear about your first big drive. I agree with Tom, more miles will generate more relaxing drives. 7.5 mpg at 65 mph would be about right. I am curious why you had such short drives each day. Just kidding. 500 is about my comfort level.

On the gear box, it is not something that needs immediate attention, unless you feel the play was contributing to your ability to control the coach. Keep in mind, that because of the diameter of the wheel, play is extremely exaggerated relative to a car. Mine is about as tight of a front end as you can have with out binding, and I have about 1/2 slop in the steering wheel before the tire moves.

Did the coach wander back and forth in the lane? Or was this something that just caught your attention.

Good luck with the conversion, I hope it works out so that you and Laura get to travel in comfort.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
chockwald

The anxiety does go away as you become more familiar with your coach, its systems, and driving it. You will come to look forward to driving your Newell, and as Tom and Richard have commented previously, look for reasons to go for a drive.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
fulltiming

Now that you have the tough 'first big trip' out of the way you can relax and enjoy the ride.

Thanks for sharing your trip and emotions. Been through the same thing. You do have to be VERY careful in older, smaller campgrounds. Many of those were built for 30' RV's that are 10-1/2' tall. I have had to do some branch trimming to get around corners in a few campgrounds and just because they assure you that the site is large enough for you doesn't mean that the access from the main road to the site is large enough. Been there, done that.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
zcasa

Hey Tim:

Loved your posting. Thank you. Yes, as the guys have said, we all share your experience and for some of us, we still do. I'm always thrilled when I make a turn. Feels good. We will be pushing #303 from St. Louis through Kansas on Friday and part of Saturday to Denver. I doubt your coach will be done by then, or that you would want to go back on I 70 to Denver and then up to I 80, but it would be fun to share the road with you. Hope to meet you soon.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
chockwald

David, all the A/C's working up to capacity with the heat and humidity?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 07-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
tuga

The other glitch was an error message on the Detroit Diesel info center display "TPS Circuit Failed Low". A check engine light also illuminated on the dashboard. I turned off the cruise control (so that I could feel the response of the engine to the throttle) and that corrected the error. I used the cruise control for the rest of the trip with no other problems. With the manuals provided by Detroit Diesel, I was able to determing that TPS stands for throttle position sensor. Beyond that, I have no idea if this is a simple random electronic glitch that will not soon return, or if I need to have the TPS examined/replaced. Any suggestions?

Signed, a tired, stressed but happy Newell owner.[/QUOTE]

Tim,

I had the same "TPS Circuit Failed Low" message periodically for about the first 2 years that I owned the coach. I found that if I accelerated or braked, the message would clear. After a couple of years, it stopped displaying the message. I can't remember the last time it did it. I don't think that it is any reason for concern. I priced a throttle positioning sensor from Newell and it was $532 (ouch!); I didn't buy one!

I had a friend who had the same message display on his Prevost and his throttle wouldn't operate at all; he was dead in the water. He found a DD parts supply house and a parts guy found the TPS sensor (which is located under the accelerator pedal) and my friend replaced the sensor and he was on his way. The cost was about $100; I was going to buy a sensor like his but I never could get a part # for it.

I think that moisture caused some of these sensors to malfunction. Before you spend any serious money be aware that these sensors are sensative(that doesn't look like it is spelled correctly?).
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
zcasa

Clarke, well, it has been a labor of hit and miss. I had a guy help me with #1 and it worked in Atlanta for a day. It continues to trip the breaker and other times the compressor won't kick in. Two a/c's will do the trick, particularly, since the b/r and kitchen ones are working very strong. We simply use a fan to bring cool air to the front and we are typically off the road by 1-2pm. Yesterday was an exception, we traveled 570 miles in 10 hours. Made it from Atlanta to St. Louis and we are enjoying a day off today touring the wonderful sights and charm of St. Charles and St. Louis. My sister lives here, so we are looking forward to dinner with her entire family. We will do 425 tomorrow and Saturday and be home by 2PM Denver time. It has been another wonderful three weeks of traveling with 3,400 miles logged. Life is good and Creede is just around the corner. River rafting, theater, maybe we should ATV? We are doing Tiger Run in Breckenridge, CO next weekend. Wish we had an ocean nearby. You are living a good life being able to enjoy that added luxury.

Have a good day.

David
Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
Richard and Rhonda

David,

Do you have an ammeter? Do you know how much current the compressor is pulling. It's somewhere between 12 and 14 amps if I remember correctly.

I guess we know what we're doing one day at Creede :-) looking at this AC
CoMotion Tandem
Old 07-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
zcasa

Hey Richard, thanks. Yes, I have what I think is an ammeter. I bought something with wires and a readout. I have no idea how to use it. It has 120, 240, 12 v buttons etc. Maybe we can start with what that is and how to use it in Creede? BTW, I have a couple of other tools that I have no idea about either. Yes, we will look forward to Creede and the additional education that we can all get from the pros. I'll bring a list of questions for sure.

David
Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
chockwald

That would be a great idea, David....I am often lost when it comes to using a multi-meter, and have had to lean on Michael for instructions. When it comes to electrical stuff I'm stuck with a double digit IQ.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 07-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
fulltiming

David, although it is not a accurate, watch you ammeter in the cabinet above the dash when that AC unit kicks in. The needle will increase a amp or two when the fan comes on. When the compressor kicks in the needle will jump then settle down at an additional 12-14 amps.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
Richard and Rhonda

Maybe we can also lean on Tom, the electrical engineer, to put on a 'lectricity talk.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
zcasa

Trip ended up being 3,700 miles in 20 days. We drove through 12 states and enjoyed wonderful weather. Of the 60 hours of driving, less than 3 were in rain. We came through the heartland on July 16th - 18th and it didn't get over 82 degrees. What are the odds of that in July? So, we are back in CO now and looking forward to Creede. Anyone else interested in the Theater while at Creede? We have a posting on that in the mini rally section. We have 12 confirmed for the theater of the 22 going to Creede. A good weekend to you all.

David
Old 07-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #16
chockwald

Congrats on a successful trip, and how blessed were you to hit the midwest during such great weather?!

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles