1976 Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Capnted

Default 1976 Newell

I bought a '76 Newell in Houston & drove it to Denver, where it's been in storage for about 3 years. Sunday we leave for MN where we'll be living in the Newell near brainerd, MN.

Every time i take her out, it's a new adventure. Hopefully, she'll make it another 1000 miles.

I lived on a sailboat in Seattle for the past 2 years. I'm trying to keep my life & possessions reduced to MH & sailboat size. it's not easy!

Ted Johnson

Capnted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
chockwald

Ted, first of all, welcome to our small commmunity of Newell owners!

I, too, hope it will make it another 1,000 miles after sitting for 3 years....I'm assuming it was unused during that time? If so, then, yes, it may be a crap shoot making it 1,000 miles with no mechanical problems, but, on the other hand we're talking about a Newell. Are you planning to just live in it in Brainerd, MN, or travel around living in it?

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
encantotom

Hi Ted,

Welcome to our newell family. you will have many challenges, but the gang here is always willing to help you through it. you will have fun and love it. i am on a 5 week trip in our newell right now.

tom in anaconda montana sittin in the recliner in the newell....

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
fulltiming

Ted, make sure you change out the oil, oil filters, and drain any water from the fuel tanks before starting. Check the age of the tires based on the DOT dates. Try all the systems before you leave. It will make for a much more pleasurable trip. The coach is solid but remember that anything 32 years old (people included) can have things go wrong. Just relax and enjoy the trip.

Let us know if you have any questions or need any assistance.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Richard and Rhonda

Ted,

Michael's advice was very good. In addition to that I would recommend that you stop frequently and walk the bus, looking under, and opening the engine bay.

We would be interested at some time to hear your first hand of comparison of living on a sailboat and fulltiming in an RV.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
chockwald

Hi Richard...I can give you a comparison between living on a sailboat and in a motorhome. While I loved the time I lived on my sailboat, wonderful sea air smell, and the mostly comfortable climate, like anything there are pluses and minuses. There is the continual battle with salt water corosion, mildew, and moisture. The bottom (if your slip is in a warm climatic area) must be cleaned at least once per month to keep the salt water growth and beasties at bay. At least once every 4 years you must haul the sailboat out of the water and clean, prep and repaint the bottom with growth resistant paint...very expensive paint. This hauling and repainting can cost upwards of $2,000 if you have no fiberglas blisters to be repaired, and no through hull fittings have gone bad. Of course, there are the holding tanks that must be emptied (no sewer hookups that I am aware of at any marinas in Southern California).

Electronics take a beating due to salt air, even if you have marine grade electronics, which cost about 7 times (I'm exagerating) what non-marine electronics cost.

In California you must pay registration fees every 2 years (why every 2 I have no idea), county property tax on the assessed value of the boat, county property tax on the "land" under your slip, and a monthly slip fee that can range from the mid $200's to $400. And, if you are not fortunate enough to own your boat outright, and monthly loan payment.

Then, of course, washing and waxing the fiberglas decking and hull, re-varnishing the brite work (wood) continually, polishing the stainless steel. If you do not keep up with this on at least a bi-monthly basis things go south quickly. If you choose not to do this routine maintenance and pay someone else to do it then add that to monthly costs.

The pluses.....nice climate year round (in So. Cal.), always a breeze, ocean air..I love the smell, great people all around you who will give you the shirts of their collective backs, much more laid back atmosphere, and then, of course the trips to Santa Catalina Island, and other channel islands, which is like another world altogether!

I switched to RVing for seveal reasons, the primary being that my grown kids and their children are into that, and not into sailing. But aside from the kids, I can easily drive my coach anywhere in the U.S. and park in some of the most amazing places. I can stay on the shores of Lake Tahoe for $40 per day, when it would cost $500 per day to rent a cabin, or condo with the same view and accessability. My "home" is always with me whatever view I am enjoying, and I can work on the coach in my front yard, instead of driving 50 miles to Long Beach to work on the boat.

I love not having to worry about cleaning the hull, cleaning the stainless steel, sanding and varnishing the wood, hauling it out of the water, etc. I don't have to dive into 50 degree water in the winter to unclog the knotmeter. Walking into West Marine every Saturday and dropping $200 for one thing, or another. I miss the gentle swaying, rocking motion while going to sleep.

Now, don't get me wrong. If someone came along tomorrow and said here is a 45' sailboat...all you have to do is live on it and someone else will pay for, and do all the aforementioned stuff...I'd be there tomorrow...LOL!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Wally Arntzen

Hi Ted,

I live north of the twin cities in minnesota. If you need anything and I can be of help give me a shout. Phone number is 612-810-2655.

Have a safe and peasurable trip.

Wally
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Richard and Rhonda

ONe more thing, buy some test strips and check the coolant !!!!!!!!
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
McCowans

Capt. Ted,
Have a wonderful trip and welcome! We have a 1973 and just took our first road trip, too. Had minor issues and a blast overall. Be safe.
Marcey McCowan
McCowans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Capnted

I was more than pleasantly surprised to find all of your responses! Thank you. Great to know there's a "tribe" out there sending good energy our direction.

Capnted is offline   Reply With Quote