NTSB Finding on Brake Pedals - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
ABnormal

Default NTSB Finding on Brake Pedals

The NTSB finally issued a finding on a school bus accident in KC that occured 4 years ago. Apparently there have been some 20 similar accidents in the past. They are blaming "Pedal Mis-application" as the probable cause.

I only bring this to your attention because the same thing has happened to me in the past. On my '87 the chassis was manufactured by GM and I believe they also provided the accelerator and brake pedals. I know the steering column is theirs. In any event, I have hit the accelerator on at least 3 different occasions thinking it was the brake. This prompted me to purchase a pair of unlined moccassins. I find that they allow me to feel the difference in the pedal shapes. Wearing a rather hard soled sneakers, I could feel nothing, including pedal location.

Here's the link for the video:

http://www.fox4kc.com/wdaf-liberty-s...,7575795.story

I do not believe this is a Newell issue, but is instead a GM design problem.

Larry P. in KC

ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
fulltiming

Larry, although Newell used parts from various automobile manufacturers such as Ford and GM, the actual chassis on all 1987 Newell coaches was manufactured by Newell itself. The treadle type brake pedal that the GM bus in the accident had was commonly used on most buses at that time. I wasn't aware that Newell used it unless it was specifically ordered by the customer.

You are correct that typically treadle type brake pedals and accelerators are similar in shape and close together making it somewhat easier to get the wrong pedal. This is especially true for those who regularly drive a car and just occasionally drive a vehicle with the treadle type pedals. The Newells I have been in, primarily post 1990 model year, had the more conventional horizontal, elevated brake pedal more similar to cars although they are close together. I hadn't noticed Newells using the treadle type brake pedal in the 80's. Does your '87 Newell have a treadle type brake pedal? I have a Williams Control treadle type accelerator pedal and a BW elevated air brake pedal on my 1992.

Driver error in pressing the accelerator pedal when they thought they were on the brake and then suing the manufacturer caused auto manufacturers to install the gear shift/brake pedal interlocks to keep drivers from shifting out of Park without their foot on the brake. The phenomenon known as 'Sudden Acceleration Syndrome' came to the forefront in 1986 and to the best of my knowledge has always be tied back to the driver hitting the wrong pedal.

Thanks for posting that link. It continues to pay to be careful out there.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
greatriver

Michael:

Interesting comment about the accelerator/brake issue in cars. That was an Audi issues and in the mid 1980's I test drove an Audi sedan. In those days many european cars had very narrow footwells in front with small pedals, the Audi was one. I told my wife that I wouldn't buy one because the pedals were so awkward. Everytime I would lift my foot from the accelerator the sole of my shoe would hang up on the back of the break pedal.

It wasn't long after that when I read about people running new Audi's through the end of garages and carwashes etc. Most of these were older folks (like me now) and they swore the car accelerated when they pushed on the break. Of course that wasn't the case but a lot of money was spent on lawsuits resulting the the shift lock you spoke of.

Larry