Secondary fuel filter - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Default Secondary fuel filter

I am servicing my recently acquired 2001 and would like some information on the secondary fuel filter with the name "Pro-check", Detroit part #23515444. This is not a spin on filter and I have not been able to find it on the internet. Perhaps it should be replaced with a mount that allows the use of a spin on. Any help would be appreciated.

Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
rheavn

Chester,
Are you talking about the fuel processor with the clear window & cartridge filter that is located in the engine bay compartment on right side? If so, mine is a different DD# than yours, it is manufactured by Davco Technology. A manual for it came with my coach.

http://www.davco.com/products.html

Manuals are available at the web site. If this is not the filter you are inquiring about disregard.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Steve, no it is attached to the engine. I has fuel in from the primary, fuel out, and for some strange reason, it has a hose connected at the top. Perhaps the enclosed picture will give a clue.
Click image for larger version

Name:	secondary fuel filter.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2257
Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
rheavn

Chester,
That is a check valve and not a secondary fuel filter. The following is from my DD Series 60 manual:

"An optional PRO-CHEK check valve that removes air from the fuel supply line may be installed between the secondary filter and the cylinder head. The fuel flows to the injectors in the cylinder head through passages intregal with the head. Surplus fuel exits at the rear of the head just above the inlet, through a restrictive return fitting which maintains fuel pressure in the system and returns back to the fuel tank."

In further reading the PRO-CHEK is only replaced when it is leaking, cracked or other signs of damage.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
larryweikart

The hose on my check valve that runs around the front of the engine, was rubbing on the engine and finally chaffed thru late one evening and fuel poured out as I refueled. I called Newells wonderful 24/7 and was told that we could bypass this valve and that Newell no longer found it necessary to install this on new units, so we have left it bypassed. If you have one on your coach you may want to check the fuel line to be certain it is not rubbing thru like mine did.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Steve, thanks so much for the information. I can rest easy and not have to worry about replacing it.