My Basement AC Control Board Failed! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
paultracy3

Default My Basement AC Control Board Failed!

I had to replace one of the boards this weekend, luckily I had a spare one. Where can I find one of these boards to have a spare? It's an SCS forced air basement system in my beloved luxurious newell coach.

bus conversion like a Prevost, Eagle, Holiday Rambler, MCI, Bluebird Wanderlodge, Newmar, Country Coach, Millennium, Liberty, custom motor coaches.

paultracy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
davidmbrady

Paul,

Don't know what brand AC you have, but on a lark, these guys might have what you need:

http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/

davidmbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
paultracy3

i have a 99 newell , no clue what ac unit i have
Old 04-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
tuga

Paul,

Do you have basement ACs?

If you do send your circuit board to: http://www.acsindustrial.com/printed...ard-repair.php

If you want a spare circuit board Newell Coach parts department has them in stock. They are on sale this week; $426 includes tax, shipping & handling.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
prairieschooner

Take a look at your manuals. You should have an owner's manual for the A/C units. I'm thinking that you will need to get model and serial numbers for the units to be sure that you get the correct circuit boards.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
paultracy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuga View Post
Paul,

Do you have basement ACs?

If you do send your circuit board to: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/

If you want a spare circuit board Newell Coach parts department has them in stock. They are on sale this week; $426 includes tax, shipping & handling.
thats on sale ... &%$^ me
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
Richard and Rhonda

LOL, I have had to replace a relay on two of my boards. 16 bucks total.

Paul, while the tech is in the control box, please check the wiring connections. This seems to be a common problem with the Newells. I have found loose wiring connections in all three of my control boxes. One of them was a near fire.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #8
paultracy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
LOL, I have had to replace a relay on two of my boards. 16 bucks total.

Paul, while the tech is in the control box, please check the wiring connections. This seems to be a common problem with the Newells. I have found loose wiring connections in all three of my control boxes. One of them was a near fire.
but where can i get a spare , newell only ???
Old 04-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
tuga

Richard,

Where are these 3 control boxes that you speak of located?

When I had a burnt control board on my bedroom AC I tightened the wire connectors and any thing else I could find that might be loose. They were all tight! I had to replace the circuit board; it was burnt too badly.

I also checked the tightness of the wires that clip onto the top of the compressors. Everything was good and tight.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultracy3 View Post
but where can i get a spare , newell only ???
Paul,

The company that built the AC units (Southern Climate Systems) is out of business. Another company, Victory Climate Systems has bought out SCS inventory and I believe that they also build the circuit boards that we need to fix our AC units. Only problem is they told me that they will only sell directly to Newell or another supplier, not to individuals like you and me.

Many years ago, I purchased a circuit board from SCS for $234. But the new price is what I quoted above. So I guess you could say you can either send your circuit board off to be repaired or bite the bullet and buy one from Newell.

The only company that sells a new board is Newell. There may be others, but I don't know who they are.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
RussWhite

I would be interested in having a spare SCS A/C board. So, anyone deciding to purhase new from Newell might want to contact me as I will help by buying your old non-working board. Maybe I could fix it and have my spare. Thanks, Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
Richard and Rhonda

Tuga,

The control boxes are the little silver boxes that contain the circuit boards. There are connections in those boxes that connect to the incoming AC power and to the outgoing AC power to the compressors and fan motors.

It is my theory, based on the loose connections I found and reported by others, that the chronic burnout of compressors in the basement units is partly caused by the loose power connections to the compressor. Loose connections drops voltage, amperage goes up, motor burns up.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #13
express1

Can you say "ROOF TOP"
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #14
chockwald

Matt, I'm just sayin'.....
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
prairieschooner

I have Roof Top Air Conditioning units and they are not immune. I have found the connections at the circuit breakers loose. After we got our coach I went through the switch panel and found loose connections at more than one circuit breaker for other circuits as well.
It is my opinion that the heat and vibration from years of service can cause loose connections. I now simply go through the switch panel and tighten all connections, WITH THE SHORE POWER OFF!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
I have Roof Top Air Conditioning units and they are not immune. I have found the connections at the circuit breakers loose. After we got our coach I went through the switch panel and found loose connections at more than one circuit breaker for other circuits as well.
It is my opinion that the heat and vibration from years of service can cause loose connections. I now simply go through the switch panel and tighten all connections, WITH THE SHORE POWER OFF!
For those of us who have inverters; remember to turn off the INVERTER also.

Be Safe!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 04-27-2011, 02:50 AM   #17
prairieschooner

Actually Tuga you are absolutely correct!!!
When I first starting working on the electrical system I found the \AC switch panel energized??? after some serious probing with a volt meter I found that the HEART power inverter was supplying power to the AC system???
What I did to correct the problem was limit the circuits that the inverter would supply (Television in the Saloon, Outlet at the Co-Pilot's Seat and the Microwave Oven) I then added a selector switch so that these circuits could be disconnected, this is common on yachts and referred to as a Source Isolation Switch. Without a Source Isolation Switch the AC Electrical Overload Branch Circuit Switch Panel would be Energized!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
rush1

SCS-Victory RV & Truck Climate Control Repair Service
Hey guys this is the place that Newell is getting the boards rebuilt from, I contacted them a couple of years ago as I have the same scs ac in my Navigator to rebuild my board Long story short they told me that Newell contacted them and had them rebuild all the old boards they had saved over the years . So all you have to do is send in your old board and they send you a rebuilt board , so far so good for my circuit board but now I think my low side compresor is low on freon as it comes on and everything works but no cold air , Im going to pull the unit out and see if I have a freon leak . Eric
rush1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
NewellCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1 View Post
SCS-Victory RV & Truck Climate Control Repair Service
Hey guys this is the place that Newell is getting the boards rebuilt from, I contacted them a couple of years ago as I have the same scs ac in my Navigator to rebuild my board Long story short they told me that Newell contacted them and had them rebuild all the old boards they had saved over the years . So all you have to do is send in your old board and they send you a rebuilt board , so far so good for my circuit board but now I think my low side compresor is low on freon as it comes on and everything works but no cold air , Im going to pull the unit out and see if I have a freon leak . Eric

Great information Eric I went ahead and posted the information from their website and to be honest their prices aren't bad at all.

Sean

[h=1]SCS-Victory RV & Truck Climate Control Repair Service[/h]

Flight Systems offers repair services for both new Victory and obsolete SCS and SCSFrigette RV & Truck climate control boards.
These systems are used on Newell coaches and many tractor-trailers. Each board is cleaned, repaired, fully tested and comes with a one-year parts and labor warranty.

[TABLE="align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="width: 93, align: center"]OEM Part #[/TD]
[TD="width: 240, align: center"]DESCRIPTION[/TD]
[TD="width: 104, align: center"]REBUILD SVC. Factory Direct Price[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 93, align: center"]305-2547[/TD]
[TD="width: 240, align: center"]CLIMATE CONTROL[/TD]
[TD="width: 104, align: center"]85.00[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]305-2548[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]CLIMATE CONTROL[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]85.00[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
jdaniel

I've never had any problems but now I'd like to check the connections and probably buy a spare. Where would I find the boards on my 91 and how many are there? I have 4 stations in the coach where I can control the a/c.

jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote