weight, length and width of coaches - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Maxwell55

Question weight, length and width of coaches

hey yall! please correct me if im wrong here but newell coaches range in lengths from 35 feet to 45 feet?

and i have seen the width on some newer coaches at 102 inches?

how wide are the older coaches? what about different weights?

i hear they make you turn around and wont let you get on the ohio toll because some newells are to heavy?

do i need to be concerned about the weight of a coach before i buy?

i have concerns when it comes to safety, driving and getting around in general. how do you feel about your coaches weight and length? do you have any problems driving?

Maxwell55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
cdat

Most older coaches are probably going to be in the area of 96" width, length usually about 35'. Newer coaches, 102" wide x 40 - 45', depends on what the owners wanted. As far as the Ohio Turnpike, nothing on here about restrictions, as long as you meet the Federal Govt's length and weight restrictions. Ohio Turnpike Commission - Home Page
Driving a large vehicle takes a little getting used too, main thing as far as I'm concerned is to make sure your mirrors are properly adjusted, practice at a large empty parking lot until you are comfortable with knowing your sight lines. There are RV driving courses available, you can do a google search for them, also, might contact a local trucking school, many of them will offer a short course for a fee on RV driving, backing and turning.

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Hugo

I think the lengths range from 35' to 45'. The newer coaches are 39' -45'. If you are worried about the ease of driving I would also suggest as cdat and recommend you take a RV driving course. They will help you get the feel for your coach and before you know it you will be at ease. Driving comfortably at whatever length, width or weight you happen to be. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
jack14r

There are some coaches that are actually 47 feet,Newell slanted the rear and measured from the lower area and it was 45 there but from the top it was 47 feet,some Nascar guys had them and they eventually got caught.I also understand that Ohio has scales and if the front axle is over 18,000 pounds they will not let you on the turnpike.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
larryweikart

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]It's been quite a while since most companies built 96" coaches. Ohio used to make you turn around and go back thru the gate again before they would offer you a "special" ticket and allow you on the turnpike. They no longer practice this requirement. Now, because of "improper weight distribution" an alarm sounds and an attendant will come over and hand you a ticket and tell you to have a nice day. I go thru there 6-8 times each year. No problems any longer even though I'm 71' long with the trailer.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
lbrachfe

Newell makes them up to 47'
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
NewellCrazy

I was under the impression that Newell attempted to manufacture 47' Newell's but the rv industry & laws did not follow suite to allow such a large coach to be built. So only a hand full were produced before Newell Coach scrapped that idea and decided to keep them 45'. Now, I could be wrong and I'm asking that someone please correct my assumption if I am.

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...n-handled.html

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Maxwell55

thanks yall. you really helped me have a better understanding. on the same note maybe a rv driving course wouldn't be a bad idea. anyone know of any good ones?

Maxwell55 is offline   Reply With Quote