Radiator replacement 60 series - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Ron Skeen

Default Radiator replacement 60 series

Has anyone removed the side mounted radiator for the 60 series that was made by ATLAS. I have a leak and need some advice on what the best route to go. I have removed the Charge Air Cooler a couple of time but never the radiator. The transmission line hooks to the side tank? How heavy is the unit? Should I buy new or try to get it fix at a radiator shop? Could I use any kind of marine epoxy and fix without removing? Any ideals will be appreciate. Thanks and have a great day!

Ron

1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
larryweikart

I don't know if yours is the same as mine as my coach #365 was one of the first built with a series 60 engine. I pull a trailer and always had some overheating problems until it sprung a leak and we took it out and ad it rebuilt. Made it a little larger, with more cooling coils and have had very few issues since. As I recall, it really wasn't that difficult or expensive.

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
Barry Rooker

Just replaced the radiator in my 2001 Newell @ 125,000 miles. The operating temperature had been creeping up for several years, from 180 at all times to as much as 230!

Given the significant job of removing & replacing the radiator, I opted not to just have it cleaned but instead I had it re-cored. That retained the end tanks, etc but still cost a hefty $1,650 + remove & re-install labor of 20+ hours.
Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Ron Skeen

Thanks Larry & Barry
I think I will go ahead and install a new one from Atlas. I just installed a new charge air cooler from Atlas last month so I guess I will go through the same install again for the radiator. I have a charge air cooler that had a new core put in it 4 years ago and a radiator if anyone insterested. The new radiator from Atlas is about 2K including shipping. I do have drawing I can email if anyone wants them.
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Old 10-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
RussWhite

Ron,

Will you be doing the install yourself?

If so, would you consider taking some pictures and making some notes that you could post that would help others down the road when our turn comes?

Thanks,

Russ White
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Ron Skeen

I will be doing the install myself. I have aready done the Charge air cooler twice. It's has to come out first before the radiator. I will try to make pictures and notes but not sure on how to post. I order the radiator today and it will be about 4 wks before I receive it. Will let everyone know how I do.
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Old 12-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
rickj

Fort Myers

We have a 1999 Newell #538. Newell replaced the original radiator Sept 2011 under warranty with one from Atlas. Sept 2013 it started leaking and inside core (shroud side) has white corrosion at bottom. Am not pleased that 24 months out radiator has failed since removing and installing is a big labor job; also not eager to buy another radiator from Atlas. Atlas has disowned this problem as 'out of warranty'. I offered that they would be in trouble if these radiators only lasted 2 years, but Atlas just ignored my request for assistance. We take great care maintaining our coach so coolant, coolant filter is not the issue. Appears that electrolysis has occurred due to radiator defect. Any thoughts, suggestions? Rick & Penny Janis, Riverbend RV, Labelle, FL

rickj is offline   Reply With Quote